Happy 2nd, I mean 4th USA

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Mr Alcatraz

Happy 2nd, I mean 4th USA

Have a happy sane one ya' awl!
John Adams' famous letter of July 3, 1776, in which he wrote to his wife Abigail what his thoughts were about celebrating the Fourth of July is found on various web sites but is usually incorrectly quoted. Following is the exact text from his letter with his original spellings:
The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.

N12ck

Re: Happy 2nd, I mean 4th USA

so was it the 2nd or the 4th?
Budding F1 Engineer

Mr Alcatraz

Of course, we all know that Americans now celebrate July 4th, the day the Continental Congress formally adopted the Declaration of Independence. Many Americans might also be surprised to learn that the famous signed parchment copy of the Declaration wasn’t signed by most of the founders until August 2, 1776. :wink:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

strad

All I know is it's hard to get ribs to turn out jussssst right....takes some work....2nd...4th,,,I don't care, as long as I get my fireworks and BBQ. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mx_tifoso

We're not 'merican by any means, but my family and I did eat ribs and grilled corn, go watch Spideman at Imax 3D, then drive over to watch the finale of the local fireworks show. My dad is amazing on the grill and anything he puts on there is nothing short of amazing, but I guess being northern Mexicans it's natural seeing how we're "cowboys".

So to all of the Americans on this forum, happy fourth of July!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.