Programming/Coding Software

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Spoutnik

Programming/Coding Software

Hi, I would like to learn some kind of programmo,g/Coding things, but idk where I need to start ?
A older friend in last years of engineering studies send me a PDF but I think it's to difficult to start.
You can use this topic for share you achievements. :wink:

Fabien

Re: Programming/Coding Software

Hi,

I am a software engineer, so I guess I can help. What do you want to program ? Anything specific like an android app, an embedded system of some kind (arduino), something web related ?

Otherwise, I would advise you to start by python. It is free, very readable, lots of already build-in stuff that allows to focus on what's more fun to program. For data analysis (since we are on an F1 Forum), there many mathematic and graphic libraries available. There are many tutorials around and a very complete and readable free reference book "Dive into Python".

Greg Locock

Python is relatively easy, high level, interactive, roughly as fast as matlab for number crunching once you've hooked in an in-line compiler (I don't know how but you can), and free.

However it would be pretty damn useless for writing pretty games, so I suggest you need to nominate what sort of thing you want to write.

Spoutnik

How I can learn to use him ?

Actually I'm not going to write games I think, but my friend told me, for the start, it's better to create game and after only some algorythm, website. (I will start with game :wink: )

Fabien

Personnally, when I want to learn a new language, I often start by writing some small games that can be displayed in a console/terminal. For instance a sudoku solver...

https://projecteuler.net/ also provides a great number of problems to solve using programming with various complexity. And examples of solutions are provided in many languages.

But first, since I believe you are a French speaker, I would start with an introductory tutorial such as http://openclassrooms.com/courses/appre ... -en-python

Phil

My first programming language I studied and learned was just good old C. Used to love how many hundreds of errors the compiler would throw at you if you just misspelt a semicolon or something - but the good thing is, it would really teach you the hard way how to avoid making silly mistakes. ;)

Definately better than many newer high level programming languages that are just too forgiving. I remember a time when every single thing needed to be initialized. OO has made writing nice code a lot more easy, but I definately appreciate having learned programming without it.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Richard

Happy days of Basic, Pascal & Fortran! One spelling error or errant punctuation could crash the entire progam.

Spoutnik

Thanks for your answers, I would like to create Software to calculate some results (we have a pronostic championship..) and after I will go to web related things or Android app, small games idk..

Then, I learn C or Python ?

dans79

Richard wrote:Happy days of Basic, Pascal & Fortran! One spelling error or errant punctuation could crash the entire progam.
Fortran is still lighting fast when it comes to pure number crunching, specially when you get into differential equations and complex numbers.

For web, I would recommend PHP.
197 104 103 7

Greg Locock

I don't think you'll be writing Android apps in python, so if you only want to learn one language you might think about Java

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_s ... evelopment

or C would be OK

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=i+want+to+learn+to+program+in+C

Spoutnik

I will go for C, maybe.

You guys, which languages you learn in first ?

Greg Locock

for java

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction ... 9-71205385

I learned machine code first

OliviaB

I find programming as lots of fun and extraordinarily useful. It allows you be creative and also opens up a wide range of new careers for you. If you want to learn how to program, read the tutorial below for an explanation of where to go and what to study.
Instructions can be written in a number of different "languages", or which are simply different ways of organizing the instructions and text. I started with Python and found a fantastic tutor here http://pythontutors.com/. Try Python. Python is a very versatile language used widely across several platforms. Despite being extremely powerful, it is an easy language for a beginner to pick up, so give it a try!

Cold Fussion

It would be hard to look past Java, C# or Swift if one was looking for a general purpose programming language to learn at the moment.

Steven
Owner

I'll add my 2 cents...

I'm rather proficient in Java (mostly used for business software) and PHP (mostly used for web applications), but one interesting language to start off with may be Golang. This produces programs that run without the need for additional libraries. It's more and more used to create batch-style utilities.

Syntax wise, Java, C or C# may be good options.

You can use free IDEs like Eclipse, Visual Studio Code, ... to get started quickly.

I'm sure you can find some youtube tutorials on how to build a Hello world application in any of these languages.