How about we all chill out and check out these airshow pics

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
flynfrog

How about we all chill out and check out these airshow pics

Took these a few weeks ago. I have about 1400 in total if any body wants to see more of one of the planes

Giblet

Re: How about we all chill out and check out these airshow pics

where is that?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

WhiteBlue

newest feature to Bernie's Maybach :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

Giblet wrote:where is that?
About 10 miles from my house

Hill AFB in Layton UT

It was all free too.

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:Image

newest feature to Bernie's Maybach :lol:
It has so much recoil that the plane needs to be in a dive for sustained fire. The pilots say it feel like the plane stands still. :wtf:

WhiteBlue

Are they shooting depleted uranium at 1 ton/s or what?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:Are they shooting depleted uranium at 1 ton/s or what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Thunderbolt_II

A side-view drawing of the A-10's GAU-8/A Avenger gun and its approximate location in the fuselage

Although the A-10 can carry considerable disposable stores, its primary built-in weapon is the 30 mm GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun. One of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, it fires large depleted uranium armor-piercing shells. In the original design, the pilot could switch between two rates of fire: 2,100 or 4,200 rounds per minute;[20] this was changed to a fixed rate of 3,900 rounds per minute.[21] The cannon takes about half a second to come up to speed, so 50 rounds are fired during the first second, 65 or 70 rounds per second thereafter. The gun is precise; it can place 80% of its shots within a 40-foot (12.4 m) circle from 4,000 feet (1,220 m) while in flight.[22] The GAU-8 is optimized for a slant range of 4,000 feet (1,220 m) with the A-10 in a 30 degree dive.[23] According to the A-10 exhibit at Imperial War Museum Duxford in England the A-10 is able to destroy any tank at a range of 1 mile (1.6 km) with one burst of depleted uranium rounds.

They are also incredibly durable airplanes

this plane flew back to base and landed.

But they have to be durable because they are slow

Performance

* Never exceed speed: 450 knots (518 mph,[39] 833 km/h) at 5,000 ft (1,500 m) with 18 Mk 82 bombs[40]
* Maximum speed: 381 knots (439 mph, 706 km/h) at sea level, clean[39]
* Cruise speed: 300 knots (340 mph, 560 km/h)
* Stall speed: 120 knots (220 km/h) [41]
* Combat radius:
o On CAS mission: 250 nmi (288 mi, 460 km) at 1.88 hour single-engine loiter at 5,000 ft (1,500 m), 10 min combat
o On anti-armor mission: 252 nmi (290 mi, 467 km), 40 nm (45 mi, 75 km) sea-level penetration and exit, 30 min combat
* Ferry range: 2,240 nmi (2,580 mi, 4,150 km) with 50 knot (55 mph, 90 km/h) headwinds, 20 minutes reserve
* Service ceiling: 45,000 ft (13,700 m)
* Rate of climb: 6,000 ft/min (30 m/s)
* Wing loading: 99 lb/ft² (482 kg/m²)
* Thrust/weight: 0.36

RacingManiac

The gun also is located on the logitudinal axis of the plane, and as such the nose landing gear had to be moved off axis...

I love airshows....need to go to more of them......

flynfrog

RacingManiac wrote:The gun also is located on the logitudinal axis of the plane, and as such the nose landing gear had to be moved off axis...

I love airshows....need to go to more of them......
I love the WW2 planes such awesome designs way before they had Computers, just using slide rules and paper

FGD
FGD

You shot these photos? Great job! What are you using?

WhiteBlue

Per second 65 shells of 425g are leaving the aircraft at 990 m/s with an exit energy of 27,1 MJ or 27,100 kNm. That compares to 82 kN thrust of the two engines. How do you convert the thrust to energy for aircraft turbines? I guess you have to apply the exit speed of the jet stream?

Edit: Using 160 m/s as speed figure we would get 13 MJ/s. The cannon energy is about twice the turbine energy. I can imagine that you can stall the aircraft by firing that gatling.

And this is where they got the idea from. Old Rudel's Stuka canon bird.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 20 Jun 2009, 08:37, edited 3 times in total.

xpensive

Not so difficult really, when Power is Force times Speed. Compare with an F1 car using 530 kW (720 Hp) at 85 m/s (306 km/h), meaning the traction force is 6.2 kN.

The efficiency of the aircraft's turbine is a completely different matter though.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

flynfrog

FGD wrote:You shot these photos? Great job! What are you using?
Nikkon D40X with a 55-200 Nikkor lense

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:Per second 65 shells of 425g are leaving the aircraft at 990 m/s with an exit energy of 27,1 MJ or 27,100 kNm. That compares to 82 kN thrust of the two engines. How do you convert the thrust to energy for aircraft turbines? I guess you have to apply the exit speed of the jet stream?

Edit: Using 160 m/s as speed figure we would get 13 MJ/s. The cannon energy is about twice the turbine energy. I can imagine that you can stall the aircraft by firing that gatling.

And this is where they got the idea from. Old Rudel's Stuka canon bird.
more info on this plane its a junkers if im not mistaken?

WhiteBlue

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 3&ct=image

It is a Junkers 87 G model tank killer. The JU-87 was probably the first mass produced tactical attack air craft. They produced several thousand of Ju-87 with several modfied variants. There is only one plane left in Europe which is somewhere in England. It was inferior in a fighter role but devastating when air superiority was established due to the precision delivery mode. The Wehrmacht developed the first integrated air/ground coordinated battle doctrine and used forward deployed coordinators to use the Stukas as air artillery.

Udet actually got the idea from American Curtiss Goshawk F11C-2 biplane dive bombers of which he purchased two for evaluation. The usual weapons were dive bombing delivered gravity bombs. Not so different to what the US Navy did with the A6 in Vietnam. The G-model was a tank killer and had two single barrel 37 mm FLAK cannons with 16 shot each. A far cry from the A10 but it says they carefully analysed the Ju-87 when they designed the A10.