4 Wheel Drive F1 Car Pictorial

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Carlos
Carlos

4 Wheel Drive F1 Car Pictorial

The 4 wheel braking thread started me thinking about 4 wheel drive Formula 1 cars. Here's a few experiments.
1960 BRM F99 Driven by Stirling Moss driving to a win at a non-championship F1 race. Must have been in England. Oulten Park? Read somewhere he said it was his favourite F1 car. EDIT - I found the quote in Forix from the article I posted in the 4WD braking thread.

" Stirling Moss won the Oulton Park Gold Cup race in it; there was rain during the race but Moss' practice time was second fastest - 1m44.8s v. 1m44.6s by Bruce McLaren in a Cooper - so the P99 was no dry-weather slouch. This innovative car (right) has a front mounted Coventry Climax 4-cylinder engine, Ferguson Four Wheel Drive System and Dunlop Maxaret ABS brakes. Moss nominated the P99 as his favourite Formula-One car in the September 1997 issue of MotorSport and he knew a few cars. The P99 is now at the D0nington Museum."

BRM F99
BRM F67. Graham Hill refused to drive it several times. See the bulge on the Right side? Drive shaft.
My winner of "The Ugliest 4WD F1 of All Time Award" The McLaren 9A
Got to admit ... It's kind of plain ... ugly? Very nice orange. A matter of opinion.
Make sure the kids are in bed. The Matra84 exposed. Notice the mechanic pooring milk into a cup?
Matra84 fully clothed. Maybe a tie with the McLaren.
Lotus56. What a pretty car.
Lotus63. Jochen Rindt refused to race it many times.
Lotus63. Another naked front end. I was tempted to put it in the Pitbabes thread.
Cosworth 4WD. It's ugly ... but in a beautiful way. Cosworth cast a special magnesium engine. Put it in back facing front. Several of the 4WD's used this arrangement. Cosworth kept the light engine for themselves. I don't think it was ever fitted into another F1 car.
Williams attempt at a 4WD winner.

Some say there was also a 4WD Ferrari; but it's not trully true. They built a car with 4 wheels on the rear axle. What were they thinking?

There were also several 4WD Gran Prix cars before 1960; I remember a couple of Bugatti; anyone got any photos?

4WD was declared against the rules. A surprise that surprises no one today.

qw56q

Re: 4 Wheel Drive F1 Car Pictorial

I remember seeing that 4wd was allowed for budget capped teams next year, now that their are no budget caps are they still allowed?

Scotracer
Scotracer

qw56q wrote:I remember seeing that 4wd was allowed for budget capped teams next year, now that their are no budget caps are they still allowed?
Nope.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

bassimon
bassimon

Carlos wrote: Image
Lotus63. Another naked front end. I was tempted to put it in the Pitbabes thread.
oh. Looks like the drivers feet are just below the driveshaft. I'd feel quite uncomfortable reminding that my schoelaces (or more) could be easily wrapped around :roll:
nice post, though.
TUfast e.V.
Formula Student Team TU Munich

Chassis 2006 - 2010
http://www.tufast.de

qw56q

Scotracer wrote:
qw56q wrote:I remember seeing that 4wd was allowed for budget capped teams next year, now that their are no budget caps are they still allowed?
Nope.

i was hoping their would be really.

flynfrog

Just think if well endowed people like myself and Phil Hill were to drive that. We might end up with our kick stands wrapped all up in that drive shaft.

dave34m
dave34m

Does anyone know who was driving the McLaren M9A.

BTW I dont think its ugly at all, I kind like the look of these cars.

Giblet
Giblet

Derek Bell?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

fierrosf1
fierrosf1