Flavio in trouble with the tax man

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Is Signore Cotugno chasing the right man in your view?

Hell, yes! Flavio the old sleeze bag had it coming.
30%
Why are the Italian authorities prosecuting the great man? He is innocent!
No votes
Let's wait and see what comes out of this.
40%
Keep that crap to yourself!
30%

Total votes: 10

WhiteBlue

Flavio in trouble with the tax man

Joe Saward's blog is interesting again today
Flavio in difficulties again
May 21, 2010 by joesaward
Flavio Briatore’s expensive yacht has been seized by Italian police as part of the investigation into alleged fraud. Force Blue was boarded by the authorities off the coast of La Spezia near Genoa on the authority of Genoa prosecutor Walter Cotugno, who is looking into the legal status of the vessel, as being a yacht available for charter. The yacht is available for charter at $360,000 a week and as a result is registered in the Cayman Islands, outside the European Union.. This means that Briatore gets a tax break. Cotugno believes that Briatore and his wife actually live on the boat. Force Blue was in Monaco last weekend for the Grand Prix.

Flav is working hard to uphold his impeccable reputation. :lol: [-X
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

Re: Flavio in trouble with the tax man

I wonder if the Italian police would let us hire the boat to help rebuild the Great Yarmouth fishing fleet.
Flav can stay living on board with his young wife, so long as they help pull in the nets three times a day and do a bit of fish sorting.
The fishy smell will be no hardship, he has always had that.

autogyro
autogyro

Flavio realy should learn to stay away.
If he does not, he stands to lose a great deal more than his penis extension.

flynfrog

So what exactly is the problem with the Boat its not even registered in an EU country? Can you not charter a boat to your self? Its common practice to register in the caymans or the Bahamas to avoid taxes on boats.

dumrick
dumrick

flynfrog wrote:So what exactly is the problem with the Boat its not even registered in an EU country? Can you not charter a boat to your self? Its common practice to register in the caymans or the Bahamas to avoid taxes on boats.
If Flavio owns the boat and fills his pockets with those $360,000 per week when he rents it, and doesn't declare that income, that's tax evasion! Which could the problem be?

flynfrog

dumrick wrote:
flynfrog wrote:So what exactly is the problem with the Boat its not even registered in an EU country? Can you not charter a boat to your self? Its common practice to register in the caymans or the Bahamas to avoid taxes on boats.
If Flavio owns the boat and fills his pockets with those $360,000 per week when he rents it, and doesn't declare that income, that's tax evasion! Which could the problem be?
If he was smart he would set up a company based out of the Caymans to run the boat.

WhiteBlue

The question obviously is whether this is a business or a private pleasure toy. If it is fully chartered to third party the money invested in the business would have been free or privileged of taxation under the Italian tax law.

When Flav used it last year in Monaco I bet he chartered it to Renault and used it for his business. This time he wasn't on business in Monaco and obviously did not charter it to someone else. So I guess the tax man wants to make sure a change of utilization is considered for the tax break status of the boat.

A German news service reported that last year the majority of time the charter was to himself as a private person. This isn't allowed under Italian tax law.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 21 May 2010, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

dumrick
dumrick

flynfrog wrote:If he was smart he would set up a company based out of the Caymans to run the boat.
The fact of something being hard to prove doesn't make it legal. If he did that, even if the company was exempt fromn taxes, his personal income form the company would be taxable.

OT, I would love to withdraw the UE passport to all those thiefs that use the common structures we all pay for, but refuse to contribute to them and deport them to the country their fortune rests on. The Cayman islands would become a luxury version of Rio de Janeiro's favelas :D
Last edited by dumrick on 21 May 2010, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

dumrick wrote:
flynfrog wrote:If he was smart he would set up a company based out of the Caymans to run the boat.
The fact of something being hard to prove doesn't make it legal.
Should we call it cheating?

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:
The question obviously is whether this is a business or a private pleasure toy. If it is fully chartered the money invested in the business would have been free or privileged of taxation under the Italian tax law. When Flav used it last year in Monaco I bet he chartered it to Renault and used it for his business. This time he wasn't on business in Monaco and obviously did not charter it. So I guess the tax man wants to make sure a change of utilization is considered for the tax break status of the boat.
Since I don't have all of the facts or a great understanding of EU tax law this is all conjecture. Why couldn't he just charter it to himself even if it was for pleasure? If a company in the Caymans owns the boat and you pay them a dollar excuse me a euro to charter it for a month I don't see what say the EU has in the matter.

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:
dumrick wrote:
The fact of something being hard to prove doesn't make it legal.
It the same way that F1 drivers build houses in Switzerland to avoid the horrendous taxes imposed on them.

WhiteBlue

flynfrog wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
flynfrog wrote:The fact of something being hard to prove doesn't make it legal.
It the same way that F1 drivers build houses in Switzerland to avoid the horrendous taxes imposed on them.
You are in error there unfortunately. It is similar but a vital difference in most European countries tax law is again the utilization. If Schumacher for instance spends more than 180 day per year on German territory he will be taken in custody on day 181 and his Swiss taxation will be classed as tax evasion in Germany.

Exactly the same happened to tennis player Boris Becker who was caught cheating by spending too much time bonking various wifes and girl friends in beautifull Munich. :lol:

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:
flynfrog wrote:The fact of something being hard to prove doesn't make it legal.
It the same way that F1 drivers build houses in Switzerland to avoid the horrendous taxes imposed on them.[/quote]

You are in error there unfortunately. It is similar but a vital difference in most European countries tax law is again the utilization. If Schumacher for instance spends more than 180 day per year on German territory he will be taken in custody on day 181 and his Swiss taxation will be classed as tax evasion in Germany.

Exactly the same happened to tennis player Boris Becker who was caught cheating by spending too much time bonking various wifes and girl friends in beautifull Munich. :lol:[/quote]fair enough. I still dont understand how they can tax a boat owned in a foreign country. If I were to park my boat in the harbor for a gp would they try to tax me too. Or is it because Flav owns the company that owns the boat? Maybe its to early in the morning for me to wrap my head around this :lol:

WhiteBlue

flynfrog wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Should we call it cheating?
WhiteBlue wrote:You are in error there unfortunately. It is similar but a vital difference in most European countries tax law is again the utilization. If Schumacher for instance spends more than 180 day per year on German territory he will be taken in custody on day 181 and his Swiss taxation will be classed as tax evasion in Germany.
flynfrog wrote:Exactly the same happened to tennis player Boris Becker who was caught cheating by spending too much time bonking various wifes and girl friends in beautifull Munich. :lol:
Fair enough. I still dont understand how they can tax a boat owned in a foreign country. If I were to park my boat in the harbor for a gp would they try to tax me too. Or is it because Flav owns the company that owns the boat? Maybe its to early in the morning for me to wrap my head around this :lol:
The main point is Flavio being an Italian resident is supposed to pay some 50% income tax on his earnings wherever they happen in the world to the Italian tax man. He is allowed to deduct money he invests from his income and reduce his tax burden if the investment is actually a legitimate business and not a cheat fiction like the Force Blue.

dumrick
dumrick

flynfrog wrote:I still dont understand how they can tax a boat owned in a foreign country.
If the boat is registered in a foreign country, they can't tax the boat, surely. But if an european citizen has personal revenues from renting that boat, that income is taxed, the same way the IRS taxes any individual's earnings.

I you owned a 100% share of a company registered in India, the company's profits would be subjected to Indian taxes, but your individual revenues from that company would be taxed in the country you live in.