Japanese Earthquake

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
manchild
manchild

Re: Japanese Earthquake

I have huge doubts about recent reports saying that level of radiation has dropped.

read this:
"The authorities also say they are making preparations to distribute iodine to residents in the area of both the plants," the IAEA said in a statement.

"The IAEA has reiterated its offer of technical assistance to Japan, should the government request this," it said.

Copyright Reuters, 2011
Why would they distribute iodine unless the situation isn't much worse than it was yesterday?

I think IAEA should have sent their controllers instantly, instead of taking reports from Japanese politicians as 100% truth. This isn't risk to Japan only, but to whole planet. They've already polluted atmosphere with radioactive steam and smoke following explosions. Now they plan to use Pacific ocean as dump for drained radioactivity from the nuclear power plant.

Pacific ocean isn't Japanese property to use it as dump just to save themselves, it is part of the planet belonging to all of us, affecting every form of life, from plants to ourselves.

Pup
Pup

I'm sure the iodine distribution is due to the explosion, which released a lot of radioactive steam.

Drained radioactivity?

timbo
timbo

manchild wrote:I have huge doubts about recent reports saying that level of radiation has dropped.
If there was a radioactive steam blowoff, you would expect that local radioactivity level would sharply rise and then drop via mixing with atmosphere.
Iodine distribution is a precautionary measure to prevent iodine isotope adsorption.
So everything seem to confirm a one-time leak.
Right now it is important to have adequate cooling to prevent meltdown.

feynman
feynman

Last edited by Giblet on 12 Mar 2011, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal attacks, nothing else left.

Giblet
Giblet

Hey guys lets tone it down a bit. Opinions will differ on how to mitigate a disaster that is yet unknown. No need to attack other users for their opinions. If you want to get reliable and informed opinions about what is happening in the world, coming to an F1 forum is the wrong place. This thread is still open as so far it has mostly been discussion.

The Japanese rely quite heavily on seafood for sustenance. More than many other countries, however, the amount of radiation we are talking about

I have heard that another nuke plant voiced that they are not sure how bad the damage is there and can't comment at the plant that had the explosion. The fact is, that know exactly what is going on as we can see it plain as day, so many people are taking this as the Japanese government trying to keep panic from spreading and trying to make it out like it is less than others.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Shrieker

feynman wrote: and there speaks the authentic voice of the gaia-worshipper.
Would rather see all nuclear plants shut down, and no newer ones built. There are clearer ways for generating energy for those who are willing to use their head. I will not leave a fallout legacy.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

feynman
feynman

Are you kidding Giblet? Removal of personal attacks, nothing left?
manchild wrote:Pacific ocean isn't Japanese property to use it as dump just to save themselves...
... and there speaks the authentic voice of the gaia-worshipper.
Would rather see millions of people killed to save some seaweed.
Where's the personal attack, if someone says something so offensive to basic common human decency they deserve called out on it, always.
Never has a username seemed more appropriate.
OK, I'll give you that one.

Twitter-twats #1 trending topic all day yesterday, "prayers to Japan", yeah that worked out well didn't it. Cheers.
Where is the personal attack, why the deletion?

Curious exactly how far off topic for an F1 board, this thread is gonna end up.
Where is the personal attack, why the deletion?

You have posters on an F1 board with overblown signatures linking to political and ideological activist sites, and no problem; someone says that maybe in the aftermath of a disaster, as people are fighting for their lives, that this perhaps isn't the time for crass and facile point scoring, and they get deleted.

Standards have slipped.

Giblet
Giblet

Yours was the first post that was about a poster, and not about the people of Japan and what is going on which is the focus of this thread.

We are talking about the biggest disaster on the planet in ages, and you are worried about people's sensibilities and personal opinions. The whole post was not deeded and useless to the discussion, only meant to incite or argue as far as I could see.

Any opinion is important, but keep it out of the personal arena please.

Also, please don't argue about posts in the threads. If you disagree with my moderation fine, but airing dirty laundry is not a good thing, so please bring it to my attention in a PM. If Manchild's post and sig are no good for you, use the report button.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pup
Pup

The wiki page on BWR safety systems is worth a read, as the timeline of event follows the safety procedures fairly well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_Wa ... ty_Systems

I don't think they are dumping anything into the ocean. They're using the sea water as an emergency coolant to flood the containment. That coolant, contaminated or not, wouldn't be recirculated - it would remain.

As for nuclear safety - that's a big argument. But it's worth pointing out that these types of reactors are the oldest and least safe. Unfortunately, they are also the most common. However, I believe nuclear energy can be extrememly safe and good for the environment if properly designed.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Actually, isn't it the backup/emergency system which failed? Not the reactors and their safety systems as such. Hard to imagine that all diesel power plants could fail, unless there's a common weak point in the system.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

manchild
manchild

Haven't got to read the deleted stuff apart from quoted bits.

I was writing concerned for the welfare of the whole planet. Pacific isn't just Japanese backyard and "some sea weed", and if they run ocean water as they plan to cool reactor down that will inevitably end up in ocean again destroying the life in it.

Oceans and rain forests enable life on this planet, and I can't see how it is more "humane" to pollute the ocean that gives life to whole planet than to evacuate the bigger area around the reactor, seal it like the one in Chernobyl and forget about that piece of land for several thousand years.

Why should all people in the world including animals and plants suffer from something that is Japanese internal matter? They've decided to built power plants, so now they should live with consequences of their own actions.

I'm sorry for the common people of Japan, they are victims, but Japanese nuclear officials are not:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/ ... B420110312
SINGAPORE | Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:22am EST

Japan's nuclear power operator has checkered past

(Reuters) - The company at the center of a nuclear reactor crisis following the biggest earthquake in Japan's recorded history has had a rocky past in an industry plagued by scandal.

The Japanese government said on Saturday that there had been radiation leakage at Tokyo Electric Power's (TEPCO) Fukushima Daiichi plant following an explosion there.

The blast came as TEPCO was working desperately to reduce pressures in the core of a reactor at the 40-year-old plant, which lies 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo.

In 2002, the president of the country's largest power utility was forced to resign along with four other senior executives, taking responsibility for suspected falsification of nuclear plant safety records.

The company was suspected of 29 cases involving falsified repair records at nuclear reactors. It had to stop operations at five reactors, including the two damaged in the latest tremor, for safety inspections.

A few years later it ran into trouble again over accusations of falsifying data.

In late 2006, the government ordered TEPCO to check past data after it reported that it had found falsification of coolant water temperatures at its Fukushima Daiichi plant in 1985 and 1988, and that the tweaked data was used in mandatory inspections at the plant, which were completed in October 2005.

And in 2007, TEPCO reported that it had found more past data falsifications, though this time it did not have to close any of its plants.

(Writing by Jonathan Thatcher; Editing by John Chalmers)

Regarding my avatar and sig. they are not political, but informal people movements, representing no country, regime or political idea, just promote humanism, peace and freedom for all (unlike Ronald Reagan avatar of certain member that you don't seam to have problem with).
Last edited by manchild on 12 Mar 2011, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

manchild wrote:...if they run ocean water as they plan to cool reactor down that will inevitably end up in ocean again destroying the life in it.
Inevitably?
Dragonfly wrote:Actually, isn't it the backup/emergency system which failed? Not the reactors and their safety systems as such. Hard to imagine that all diesel power plants could fail, unless there's a common weak point in the system.
It will be interesting to learn the details. But the generators are just one element of a larger system of failsafes. If you want to talk about THE failsafe - that's where the sea water comes in.

manchild
manchild

Inevitably. It can either evaporate into atmosphere while cooling, end up in ocean or soil when it rains, or flow back to ocean. They don't need few thousand liters, amount that could be brought by trucks or helicopters, but enormous amount of water. I can't decide on what is worse, evaporation of radioactive steam into atmosphere or flow of radioactive water back into ocean.

bhall
bhall

Giblet wrote:We are talking about the biggest disaster on the planet in ages [...]
350,000 Haitians would beg to differ. If they could. How soon we forget.

If what's been posited turns out to be true (thanks for the article, WhiteBlue), and Japan loses up to 20% of its capability to generate electricity because of irreparable damage to a number of nuclear stations, the country could be in for a very long and torturous recovery. While I'm far from being a proponent of nuclear power, I do hope they can bring their plants back online, if only so the Japanese people can get back to some sense of normalcy as soon as possible. I think only then will a debate about the virtues, or lack thereof, of nuclear power be appropriate.

manchild
manchild

Please stick to the topic.

I have expressed my compassion to common people of Japan, but if I had to express my opinion about what became obvious cover up operation to save region around the plant, while resulting in pollution of whole planet, than I think that humane would be to say "I'm sorry Japan, I'm sorry for you common people, but the government and nuclear officials you have elected have screwed up as so many times over the years, so don't ask us to share the consequences. We had no benefit from your power plants, it was your free will to build them on such unreliable ground, they are your problem that should be solved on your soil."

If I had problems with someone having Reagan avatar for years, I'd complain to moderator. I've just mentioned it as an pure political avatar you have no problem with.