Fukushima Technical Discussion

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Richard
Richard

Re: Fukushima Technical Discussion

manchild wrote:What's the part of the globe opposite from Japan?
#-o

WhiteBlue

richard_leeds wrote:
#-o
:roll:

It is easy to ridicule people who have little knowledge of nuclear catastrophes. It is more difficult to predict what will happen. On top people who have tried to predict what will happen have been called scaremongers.

What is clear from Tepco's original comments is the existence of several sources of re-criticality. Re-criticality are localized nuclear chain reactions that are not supposed to happen and that happen in places not designed to have a chain reaction going. It appears that re-criticalities are happening at least at the #2, #3 and #4 reactor buildings. It is clear that the re-criticality at #3 will involve much higher concentrations of plutonium than in the other three buildings. Tepco doubt that they will ever be able to enter the #3 reactor building safely. This appear logical considering the half life of some plutonium isotopes is 20,000 years.

Re-criticalities happen at places not designed for a chain reaction but in cavities and pockets that have come into existence by accident. It is therefore impossible to cool such chain reactions in a controlled way by submerging them in water and replacing hot water with cold water. All you can do is pump water above the place where you see steam rising and hoping some of the water will hit the fuel puddle that has become critical again. You basically have to do this until all the fuel that has accumulated in significant puddles has burned out or is distributed over a wider area to stop the reaction.

As this happens you have to assume that the re-critical puddles will burn through anything that lies under them which includes concrete, steel and even rock. Nobody at this time can say how long this will go on.

Assuming the remaining puddles will remain critical for a very long time it is likely that this process will create large enough cavities under sea level that will fill with seas water to cool down the reaction. That is the good news because it will eventually shut down the reaction. The bad news is that most likely such big cavities will be connected to the seas and much of the activity will be leaked to the Pacific ocean.

It means that the re-critical fuel puddles will not penetrate significantly into the crust of the earth. Fears of volcanic activity due to the nuclear accidents appear unrealistic in my view. But the main point is that we are looking at a very nasty accident that will produce more radioactive contamination than it has done until now and that could remain uncontrolled for a long time.

http://energyfromthorium.com/pps/Fukush ... iAREVA.pps

This is a good but incomplete powerpoint presentation done by the German AREVA engineer Dr. Matthias Braun

In the meantime it transpires that nuclear power stations in Europe have different cover against the economic consequences of accidents. In Germany they are covered for €2.5bn and in France against €0.072bn. It is interesting to assess what Tepco is facing from the accident.

The financial consequences will be coming from three streams of losses.
  • the compensation to people who have been evacuated
  • the cost of de commissioning the reactors
  • the fossil fuel needed to replace electricity now produced from gas plants
  • replacing the nuclear power stations
According to this source JCO Co., a nuclear fuel processing firm in Tokaimura, Ibaraki Prefecture, that caused a criticality accident at its facilities in the village in September 1999 had to pay a total of about 15 billion yen in compensation for damage suffered by local residents, including health hazards and financial losses by farmers whose products had been shunned by the marketplace. In the JCO accident, locals living within 350 meters of the facilities in question had to evacuate. This contrasts with a massive evacuation in the vicinity of the Fukushima nuclear power plant of 30 kms and reports of excessive levels of radiation outside a 40 km radius. Let us assume that compensation will be applicable proportionally to the size of the afflicted area. The are is 7600 times bigger which leads us to a base estimate of Yen 114,000 bn or €1,000bn.

Let us assume the de commissioning of the reactors will cost ten times on average that of a normally shut down reactor which is Yen 100bn according to the same source. So we are looking at Yen 6,000bn or €53bn.

Let us assume that Tepco will have annual cost of Yen700bn for gas for eight years while the nuclear reactors are replaced. That will amount to Yen4,900bn or 43bn.

Finally we need to erect three big modern EPR reactors to replace the electric capacity which costs €5.5 each, totally €16.5bn.

Unless I'm very mistaken Tepco looks at a potential cost bill of €1,125bn. Even in Germany only a fraction of this cost would be covered by insurance. If we assume that the compensation to the evacuated is wrong by one magnitude we still look at €225bn in damages. It is a figure that still boggles the mind.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 03 Apr 2011, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pup
Pup

richard_leeds wrote:
#-o
lolz

Richard
Richard

Criticality cannot continue indefinitely in the wild. The critical mass will be disperse and be diluted by other materials. It appears that you and manchild are proposing that the mass will somehow stick together and bore its way through the earth's crust?

The bit that really amused me was the idea that having got though the earth's crust it would somehow navigate through the molten swirling magma to pop out the other side.

ps I suggest you avoid CERN, there's a machine there that will create a blackhole that can swallow up the whole earth. At least that will resolve the Fukushima problem.

Richard
Richard

and they said ...
greenpeace wrote:As we found out today, the radiation levels are high in Fukushima city -- our measurements confirmed levels that have been reported in newspapers and by the government

marekk
marekk

In tschernobyl, russians just sent few dozen od young soldiers to clear more or less the mess on first days.
I'm wondering, if one of the units disperses enough radioactive matarial around daichi plant to achieve dangerous levels of radiation, who will do all maintance work needed to control other 5 units ?

WhiteBlue

richard_leeds wrote:Criticality cannot continue indefinitely in the wild. The critical mass will be disperse and be diluted by other materials. It appears that you and manchild are proposing that the mass will somehow stick together and bore its way through the earth's crust?
richard_leeds, you obviously don't read what I have written:
All you can do is pump water above the place where you see steam rising and hoping some of the water will hit the fuel puddle that has become critical again. You basically have to do this until all the fuel that has accumulated in significant puddles has burned out or is distributed over a wider area to stop the reaction.
How is that different to your brilliant idea that criticalities will be diluted and disperse out. The point is that nobody can predict how much that will happen and how fast. At least the government in Japan expects to have to deal with the crisis for many more weeks.

To Pup's comment I can only say that he is obviously completely biased towards nuclear energy and is unable to recognize the downsides.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

Sorry WB, I linked reading manchild's talk of burning a hole though the earth's crust with your mention of large cavities being created.

By the way, have you edited your post? I see there is a paragraph that says "will not penetrate significantly into the crust of the earth" - I don't remember seeing that before.

You have also added a link to a powerpoint with a lot of text below?

manchild
manchild

Pup, this looney here wrote in another thread that cooling down with sea water is a crime, since they are trying to save a reactor on inevitable cost of polluting the Pacific.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9637&start=25

I was laughed at than, some 3 weeks ago. Now that is a confirmed reality for more than week. Things you laughed at back than are already written down in contemporary history as the proven facts.

------------------------------------------

richard_leeds, Gravity would navigate it. No one knows how deep it can go or can it pop out somewhere or not.

In only one of the dried pools with used rods, there is officially 186 metric tonnes of them. How many of them are there all together including ones in reactors that were operational?

Find me a scientist who can bet on his diploma that it can't drill down to reach lava in worst scenario and cause eruption that would scatter all those tonnes into atmosphere, and eventually on soil and water.

BTW, that GP report is 10 days old. There were no reports of pollution in Pacific at that time at all.

WhiteBlue

richard_leeds wrote:Sorry WB, I linked reading manchild's talk of burning a hole though the earth's crust with your mention of large cavities being created.

By the way, have you edited your post? I see there is a paragraph that says "will not penetrate significantly into the crust of the earth" - I don't remember seeing that before.

You have also added a link to a powerpoint with a lot of text below?
I have not edited the text above the power point link! I added the PPT presentation by AREVA. Btw, AREVA is the company in charge of building all French reactors. They are not exactly nuclear critical. So their assumptions will be on the positive side of the true accident potential. I believe that particularly the fuel pools will look more critical than the presentation makes believe.

I have added all text below the PPT link.

manchild
manchild

marekk wrote:In tschernobyl, russians just sent few dozen od young soldiers to clear more or less the mess on first days.
I'm wondering, if one of the units disperses enough radioactive matarial around daichi plant to achieve dangerous levels of radiation, who will do all maintance work needed to control other 5 units ?
Exactly. That is the "trivial" issue, which nuclear energy promoters don't bother with in their hype over how clean and superb it is. Perhaps some of them could volunteer and show us on personal example how safe it is?

WhiteBlue

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/04/citizen- ... reactor-3/

It transpires that a green action group managed to delay the use of MOX elements for ten years until August last year. As a consequence of their action no MOX elements were in the #3 fuel pool which was destroyed according to TEPCO information. It looks like the "loonies" saved a big part of TEPCO's ass there.

WhiteBlue

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/8083f289-6d7 ... 61928.aspx

Read this to learn about tough choices. NYC is going to take tough choices in the future. Personally I think that the New Yorkers are prepared to pay 6% more to see Indian Point shut down.

manchild
manchild

Today's news:
The plant operators also deliberately dumped 10,000 tons of tainted water — measuring about 500 times above the legal limit for radiactivity — into the ocean Monday to make space at a storage site for water that is even more highly radiactive.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110404/ap_ ... earthquake
I think that UN should take over ASAP. Japanese government and Tepco are killing the life of this planet as we speak.

This deliberate dumping of 10.000 tons of radioactive water into Pacific is not any less crime than war crimes and genocide. Generations of people will get ill, suffer and die because of their actions. Animals will face the same.

Pacific is not Japanese property, not Japanese dumpyard, and someone should tell them that.

Richard
Richard

so where should they put the water?