Answer for F1's environmentaly clean future

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
autogyro
autogyro

Answer for F1's environmentaly clean future

Below is an e-mail I sent to Martin Whitmarsh, I understand the FIA believes it is an idea worth following.

Mercedese Petronas have built a prototype with this in mind with Matra France and Siemens Germany.
I have a company waiting to build cars.
Bernie is against the new engine regulations projected for 2013, so this idea would give F1 a useful breathing space and a way to embrace the new technology coming from the EV revolution happening under its nose.
Perhaps now is the time for a response from FOTA.

Message Received: Jul 24 2010, 05:47 PM
To: info@teamsassociation.org
Cc:
Subject: Carbon Neutral Motor Sport

For the attention of the President of FOTA:

Martin Whitmarsh

It was of great interest to me, reading the press release from the FOTA, outlining the intention to introduce fuel efficiency and further alternate energy technology into F1.The FIA must be pleased with these statements, they will, (in principle) support the FIA policy outlined by Gilles Simon.

I placed a paper (Carbon Neutral Motor Sport), before the FIA AEC early this year and my ESERU (Electric Shift Energy Recovery Unit) for hybrid applications, should also be of interest to those developing these essential energy policies for the future.

Within the general intention of the FIA to embrace alternate energy formula, including the electric formula’ suggested in my paper to run alongside important formula’ including F1, there appears to be a reluctance by the FIA, to officially start such formula for at least two years.
I understand the need for the FIA to be sure that electric technology is mature enough to support. I believe there is an alternative way to speed the introduction of official International electric vehicle racing and to ensure a smooth path into the inevitable alternate energy future.

My suggestion is to approach the FOTA and ask if the teams would be interested in promoting and assisting in the establishment of, at least one electric formula, to run alongside F1 through out the season.

I believe that the FOM the FIA and the FOTA would gain huge benefits from such an incentive.They would all be seen to be actively working towards a more acceptable public image, by further restricting Carbon output and by directly involving F1 in alternative energy motor sport for the future.

It would open a new source of potential sponsors from within the alternate energy sphere, including energy producers in all fields worldwide, battery manufacturers and government grants.

It would also give F1, a very useful promotional tool during this crucial period of major technical and economic change so important to the future of our sport and road vehicle technology.

I have attached two files.

Carbon Neutral Motor Sport.

Electric Shift Energy Recovery Unit.

Sincerely

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Re: Answer for F1's environmentaly clean future

Anything more specific about the principles of this Electric Shift Energy Recovery Unit?
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

autogyro
autogyro

Pandamasque

You do realize that if this new 'Carbon Neutral' series travels around the world, then its 'carbon footprint' from logistics alone will be as much per race as that of a whole VLN season at the Nurburgring? :roll:

autogyro
autogyro

Pandamasque wrote:You do realize that if this new 'Carbon Neutral' series travels around the world, then its 'carbon footprint' from logistics alone will be as much per race as that of a whole VLN season at the Nurburgring? :roll:
With the current methods of transport, I do of course.
The CO2 from Bernies Jumbos far exceeds the output of any ic cars, no matter what engine configuration in F1.

This is not the point. F1 and anything associated with it, needs to take the leed in environmentaly friendly energy development. This is exactly what it did at its creation with internal combustion and vehicle development.

If F1 continues as just a macho bragging convenience for motor heads, it is not going to last for much longer. Aero technology is of little interest to the general public and at present this is all F1 has going for it, all ic development has been done to death years ago.
An electric formula running alongside will ensure F1 continues and changes slowly to meet the new technologies in alternate energy and traction.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Sorry, but IMVHO F1 should bring awe and excitement and raise up the adrenaline levels even in a TV viewer. Like it used to be in the 80-ties when I first had the possibility to follow races on TV. It should remain like an island, a preservation of the "bad old days" when men with balls tamed the wild metal stallions all by their wit, ability and courage.
Spa 2012

Pandamasque

Well if EV technology is the way to go, why not free up the drivetrain regs so that EVs could take part in F1? Cap the amount of energy per race at the level that allows to maintain current laptimes. As soon as EVs begin to dominate at least in races as short as 305km people could perhaps start taking them seriously. ICEs had to beat horses first.

autogyro
autogyro

Dragonfly wrote:Sorry, but IMVHO F1 should bring awe and excitement and raise up the adrenaline levels even in a TV viewer. Like it used to be in the 80-ties when I first had the possibility to follow races on TV. It should remain like an island, a preservation of the "bad old days" when men with balls tamed the wild metal stallions all by their wit, ability and courage.
You are nearly 20 years to late.
Drivers like Hamilton would last five minutes with the real men of old.
I know many people with high reputations in F1 of old, who all agree that the model aeroplane formula of today is totaly emaciated.
If you just want noise go watch a drag meeting.
There would be just the same skill in an arcade game with about the same risk.
Fitness is the only real variable. You can add noise to TV.

You and many other motor heads (like myself) might love the live noise of F1 at the circuit. Most of the world public see it more and more as an energy indulgence with no new technology of any relevence.
F1 is starting a decline and needs a major re-think.
Does anyone realy think a re-run in Bahrain or the race, if it happens in Japan will be accepted by the world public as a responsible spectacle?

autogyro
autogyro

Pandamasque wrote:Well if EV technology is the way to go, why not free up the drivetrain regs so that EVs could take part in F1? Cap the amount of energy per race at the level that allows to maintain current laptimes. As soon as EVs begin to dominate at least in races as short as 305km people could perhaps start taking them seriously. ICEs had to beat horses first.
I would definitely give formula 1 two main regulations.
A limit on energy for the race rather than fuel and a reduction of downforce to the suggested levels of the working group of 2006.
However I do not see the need to replace ic with electric in F1. That change will take time and should go along with the change to electric in road vehicles.

My suggestion which has a good deal of support, is to run an electric formula alongside F1 at F1 race meetings instead of the ic back ups current.
I am certain this will be the answer to continued world TV audience support 'Bernie' but only if the electric racing gets enough coverage.
I have at least one well established and respected race car manufacturer willing to build cars. So what are we waiting for?

Earnard Beccelstone
Earnard Beccelstone

autogyro wrote:
You are nearly 20 years to late.
Drivers like Hamilton would last five minutes with the real men of old.
I know many people with high reputations in F1 of old, who all agree that the model aeroplane formula of today is totaly emaciated.

F1 is starting a decline and needs a major re-think.
Careful, Your Prejudice Is Showing.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

autogyro wrote: Does anyone realy think a re-run in Bahrain or the race, if it happens in Japan will be accepted by the world public as a responsible spectacle?
Actually I think that the race in Japan MUST take place and the profit given to help the Japanese people.

I know I am late, since I've been following F1 for more than 20 years. Values are changing but this does not mean that I must like them, seeing that drivers (in my language we call them pilots) are slowly turning into computer console operators.
Spa 2012

autogyro
autogyro

Dragonfly wrote:
autogyro wrote: Does anyone realy think a re-run in Bahrain or the race, if it happens in Japan will be accepted by the world public as a responsible spectacle?
Actually I think that the race in Japan MUST take place and the profit given to help the Japanese people.

I know I am late, since I've been following F1 for more than 20 years. Values are changing but this does not mean that I must like them, seeing that drivers (in my language we call them pilots) are slowly turning into computer console operators.
+1 I wonder if Bernie will do it though?
This will be an interesting development to watch.

Pandamasque

Dragonfly wrote:
+100500
I see no reason why F1 should stay out of Japan. Most of the big national championships will go ahead soon with only a slight delay. Similarly I see no reason why F1 should ever come back to Bahrain, be we're getting off topic here.