Is nuclear the way to go?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Is nuclear the way to go?

Oh, and they've got to change the name too. "Megacity" brings up images of Judge Dredd...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

autogyro
autogyro

Re: BMW Megacity electric car with carbon monocoque

Nah Uranium will run out long before that happens.
Of course we could use Plutonium but I am already involved with setting up mental hospitals for people with that idea.

WhiteBlue

autogyro wrote:Of course we could use Plutonium but I am already involved with setting up mental hospitals for people with that idea.
I knew you as a sensible person. Whoever dreamed up plutonium for the energy sector must have been out of his effing mind.

To me it looks like power stations will continue to be fired mainly by coal. And there will be increasing amounts of wind energy . If the nano based solar cell films hit big time houses of the future could be entirely dedicated to electricity generation as well. Perhaps your houses roof and the car port can supply a part of the energy for your Megacity drive then.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

I hope you did not think I was suggesting nuclear power WhiteBlue, I was simply trying to show up the stupidity of that technology.
Nuclear power costs far more in cleaning up its waste than it gives in usable energy. It is a political filth trip, conveniently used by politicians to past over the gaps in their energy policies. A method of destroying the earth on the way to the global bank,

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

autogyro wrote:Nuclear power costs far more in cleaning up its waste than it gives in usable energy.
Prove it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

autogyro
autogyro

Jersey Tom wrote:
autogyro wrote:Nuclear power costs far more in cleaning up its waste than it gives in usable energy.
Prove it.
Just walk to Chernobyl my friend, to see how much of the planet is unusable because of your nuclear god.
Take a trip to East Germany and see the other nuclear power stations of the same type still there and not producing one milli amp because of that disaster.
Ask those who lived in the old Soviet Union what the main reason for its collapse was and then you are on the road to your proof.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

You're mixing the cost of human f-ups, with the cost of nuclear energy.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

autogyro
autogyro

Your religious slip is showing.
Nuclear energy IS a human f-up.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:
Prove it.
Just walk to Chernobyl my friend, to see how much of the planet is unusable because of your nuclear god.
Take a trip to East Germany and see the other nuclear power stations of the same type still there and not producing one milli amp because of that disaster.
Ask those who lived in the old Soviet Union what the main reason for its collapse was and then you are on the road to your proof.
you want to compare square miles of area destroyed by power distribution. Hmm strip coal mines. Millions of acres of forest destroyed by hydro electric. Miles of desert now being covered in solar array. Beautiful mountains being covered with windmills.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote:Your religious slip is showing.
Nuclear energy IS a human f-up.
Tell that to the Sun...

Pandamasque

To suggest that Chornobyl was the main reason of Soviet collapse is a bit of a stretch to put it mildly. It was just another proof that Soviet mentality and way of life doesn't mix with any sort of civilization, that's a special kind of f***-up.
autogyro wrote:Take a trip to East Germany and see the other nuclear power stations of the same type still there and not producing one milli amp because of that disaster.
Are you aware that the Chornobyl power station was in use and producing energy until 2000?

autogyro
autogyro

It is always amuseing to read all the worthless excuses coming out everytime nuclear power is criticised.
I suppose you are all willing to accept the possibility of deformed children in the future just so as to ignore the responsibilities of today.
I was once told that the workers at Selefield glowed in the dark after their shifts.

autogyro
autogyro

I do not like to post much on one issue on nuclear power.
It is delicate in regard to national security so I will be brief.
Nuclear power stations remain THE best targets for terrorist action.
Enough said.
Close them all I say.

Pandamasque

Fair point. My teeth glow in the dark because I live 68 miles from it. Close em. Also close all the coal mines as the disasters over the last 20 years here claimed similar number of deaths, that's just immediate deaths in the mines then there's the pollution. Also ban batteries, since sulphur mining causes acid rains. If there is 'clean' production of energy in existence, it's very far from being ready to substitute the current ones.

Shall we get back to BMW Mega-eco-car-more-polluting-in-the-long-run-than-the-M5?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote:It is always amuseing to read all the worthless excuses coming out everytime nuclear power is criticised.
Always amusing to read all of the hyperbole from those scared of nuclear power.
I suppose you are all willing to accept the possibility of deformed children in the future just so as to ignore the responsibilities of today.
There you go...
I was once told that the workers at Selefield glowed in the dark after their shifts.
I was once told that the moon was made of cheese and that Santa lives at the North Pole. Don't believe everything you're told.