2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
noname
noname

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

rjsa wrote:
n smikle wrote:FIVE manufacturers eh?

Who is the fifth? Toyota? VW/Audi? BMW? Nissan? Hyundai?
That would be PURE, Craig Bullocks company.
http://www.teos-engineering.com/

ringo

WhiteBlue wrote:
bill shoe wrote:Thanks for the info. You give a fuel flow with an absolute (constant) limit. If this is accurate then the conventional part of the powertrain will roughly be a constant-power device. This would imply little or no shifting.

However, I'm skeptical F1 would let this happen because it's not traditional. I predict that one of two things will happen--

1. The 27.8 g/s figure will actually vary relative to the 15,000 rpm redline (7,500 rpm will be allowed 13.9 g/s).
I'm not sure that the engines will actually rev to 15,000 rpm and I don't believe that they will have a variable fuel flow limit.
the boost will be very very low with that engine, if the goal is 600 brake HP.

In fact that 27.8g/s is only good for 560hp assuming a 80% mechanical efficiency.

that's with 0.85 bar of boost or 12.3 lbs. and 10.5 compression ratio.

That engine will be the most pathetic in terms of f1 sound. Maybe good for a street car sound, but pretty weak for F1. I don't think fans will pay all that money to watch these cars.
For Sure!!

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

strad wrote:I swear, The world really is spinning out of control when race fans give a hoot about fuel consumption or whether big manufacturers get to build the cars..I really wouldn't care if all the manufacturers pulled out...bring back privateers.
Count me in.
I too can't understand why fans care so much about manufacturers money and how they spend them. Maybe the majority of racing fans are accountants by trade ???
There are currently 4 engine manufacturers. And they are going to spend, each of them, considerable sums and efforts to make what is practically a spec engine. How is that cost reduction?
Cost reduction is a big bluff. Whoever has a budget will spend it to the last cent one way or another.
What's wrong with the current engines? They are almost at a state of serial production. Why not channel the efforts towards enhancing the energy recovery systems and encourage less fossil fuel usage?
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

ringo

agip wrote:

Combustion engine specifications:

1600cc, V6
15000 rpm max
Direct fuel injection up to 500bar
Single turbocharger
Controlled fuel flow

Energy recovery and storage systems specifications:

Kinetic, 120kW on the rear wheels
Exhaust energy recovery linked to the turbocharger
Source.
Well it's single turbo. So it's mid bank exhaust.

BMW had brought back the midbank turbo with their twin turbo v8.
Makes sense to use 1 turbo though for simplicity and cost control.

The V angle will be tricky to approach.

But i suspect a VW vr6 type engine with remote turbo on the gearbox as the loop hole.
15 degree angle. Turbo goes out the back within the gearbox or on top of it. Long exhaust pipes.
For Sure!!

strad

WB..to me...
You may keep yours and I will keep mine
translates to I shut up and quit bothering you and you get to keep on with your view...Hmmmmm No Thanks.
It's not some fond memories of days gone by, although they were better.
IF you're granted the grace to grow old, you will learn that the human animal covets what shiny and new over what's tried and true.
Not just in F1 or racing. Not all that's new is better,,,it's just new.
We the fans haven't ever had any real control and certainly not since Bernie stuck his nose into the tent.
When things change in slow increments you don't notice and that's what's happened to F1. In the process we have traded racing for "The Circus".
Take this decision..Nothing to do with racing which supposedly is the life blood of F1. Instead it's about pandering to a few companies and worries that a 4 cylinder engine may sound wimpy.
As usual you completely misunderstand me.
I know you cannot go back once there has been such large scale change,,but I sure wish you could understand,,not all change is progress.
This will cost a fortune and for what...To pretend to be green or give a damn about mother earth.
Sorry for so much off topic content guys.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Saribro
Saribro

ringo wrote:Well it's single turbo. So it's mid bank exhaust.

BMW had brought back the midbank turbo with their twin turbo v8.
Makes sense to use 1 turbo though for simplicity and cost control.
Audi seemed to have some success with a V6 with single mid-bank turbo :).

hpras
hpras

The 2.65L Champcar/Cart engines ran a single turbo with central intake. I think Honda and Toyota experimented with running the turbo off of only one bank of cylinders on the superspeedways for a couple years, mondo turbo lag but instantaneous engine response wasn't the target, outright horsepower was.

riff_raff
riff_raff

hpras,

The turbo champ car engines used a single turbo with a V8. But it's probably not a good comparison. Those champ car engines used methanol fuel, used very low boost levels, and were not permitted charge coolers. However, contrary to what you stated, they did have excellent throttle response and virtually zero turbo lag.

Interestingly, one interesting aspect of those turbo champ car engines was that they actually located the turbocharger inside the bell housing.

"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

hpras
hpras

My comment about the poor throttle response was only meant for the special superspeedway engines that Toyota and Honda built with the turbo being run by only 4 cylinders. I've heard the the Cosworth XFE, even restricted to 12K and 750hp was quite the beast. Real torque, and high HP almost everywhere in the rpm band. And good for 1400km. I've gone to a couple CART street races in the 90's, they were quite spectacular events. The throttle/wastegate pops on shifting were huge, TV doesn't do them justice. The sound in general was great.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

15000 rpm limits official.

More could have been done.
David Purley

snorri788
snorri788

Re: 15000 rpm limits official.

So are the 2014 cars going to be a lot slower than the current spec machines?

Need to attend a race urgently so that I can experience first had the 18000rpm V8 scream before they die.

Gary

That could sound fine. Here's an F1 car from a few years ago revving to 15,000rpm, albeit one with 12 cylinders.

To my ear, this is a far more interesting sound than the current screamers. In noise as in everything, quality normally trumps quantity. :wink:

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Should be more or less the same power as we have today.

The interesting thing will be the proposed fuel limits. Could be a return of the turbo boost days!!!!
More could have been done.
David Purley

amouzouris

i think it will sound a bit more like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-KtVqcuyN4

flattyre
flattyre

Still on the subject of sound, is it realistic to expect the engine to sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY2Z8v4Tdc8

This is the same engine that amouzouris showed us, but in this video the driver 'floors it' after the chicane, rather than slowly cruise around the track, so you get to hear it much better. It would be fantastic if we could have a sound like this - even more for me because, only a couple of years ago, I found the video above and dreamed about F1 engines sounding like this again 8)