Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

New fuel for SPA...new engines have arived in SPA, tommorow decidion wether or not they will be used.

Via Albert Fabrega
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

Looks like it's happening, and it seems Ferrari are responding to Honda's upgrade by bringing their own. With the same stipulations about introducing it this weekend.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

https://twitter.com/SmilexTech/status/7 ... 0306254850 20 hp they say...dont know if that includes fuel or not?

Edit: He says whit fuel 20hp.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Craigy

GoranF1 wrote:https://twitter.com/SmilexTech/status/7 ... 0306254850

20 hp they say...dont know if that includes fuel or not?

Edit: He says whit fuel 20hp.
Seems rather a small bump for TJI. Is this just natural "lean it out and see what breaks" iteration?

flmkane
flmkane

Can someone explain to me how 20hp can come just from fuel? Not meaning to be naive, but 20 hp is a huge jump in this formula.

Ofcourse we dont know if it's 20 hp in peak mode , or 20hp average. I'm assuming if it's a fuel upgrade, then there would be an increase in horsepower for all engine settings.

PlatinumZealot

Easy power even for a street car turbo setup. It all has to do with how good your combustion was before... and in the case of Honda it was not good.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Joseki wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:The lithium polymer battery curve has been flat for some time with obvious limits. However,a group at MIT redesigned the oldest kind of lithium battery, the Lithium metal battery. They managed to make it safe, cool and rechargeable. It is much smaller than current lithium polymer batteries too. I can see this reborn lithium metal battery design making its way into F1 in two years.

http://news.mit.edu/2016/lithium-metal- ... onics-0817
Isn't the minimun volume set to be written on the 2018 technical rules? :?
If the volume and the weight is to same the same as today and is regulated.. you can work it either way.. make twice the number of cells for more redundancy.. or manage the cells to alternate and run cooler cells.. or use the same number of cells and design the centre of gravity better.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

So the engine upgrade is worth 3-4 tenths, if it's worth that much by itself, it could mean 6-7 tenths ultimately once the upgrade is fleshed out and integrated properly with the chassis(aero tweaks to take advantage, better ERS recovery, less fuel saving). The extra 20hp could become less if they realize they can't run full power, then again it could be more, this is something you can only find out on track. Not to mention I don't think it's going to work flawlessly right away, that said I'd still introduce the upgrade now, no point in waiting.
Saishū kōnā

Postmoe

PlatinumZealot wrote:Easy power even for a street car turbo setup. It all has to do with how good your combustion was before... and in the case of Honda it was not good.
Even?

I may have missed the point made in your post, but It is way easier to make power jumps with a street car, specially with a turbo one. Saab's have incredible figures with trionic management, with jumps of a minimum of 60hp with a simple click and no changes in the turbo layout, and 100hp jumps with minimal changes up to 400hp. Piece of cake.

But the way you do this with a street car has nothing to do with what you do in this formula: turbo cars are traditionally tuned down for a variety of reasons, from reliability to tax and marketing factors, so they run far away from their optimal mechanical setup.

Craigy

Postmoe wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Easy power even for a street car turbo setup. It all has to do with how good your combustion was before... and in the case of Honda it was not good.
Even?

I may have missed the point made in your post, but It is way easier to make power jumps with a street car, specially with a turbo one. Saab's have incredible figures with trionic management, with jumps of a minimum of 60hp with a simple click and no changes in the turbo layout, and 100hp jumps with minimal changes up to 400hp. Piece of cake.

But the way you do this with a street car has nothing to do with what you do in this formula: turbo cars are traditionally tuned down for a variety of reasons, from reliability to tax and marketing factors, so they run far away from their optimal mechanical setup.
The "easy" way to make more power with a road car is to ensure it can consume more fuel. Given that F1 is rate flow limited, that easy option isn't available.

loner

Albert Fabrega ES ‏@AlbertFabrega 1m1 minute ago View translation
Honda montará los motores con la nueva evo en nuevo ICE, Turbo y compresor. En total usan 7 tokens. Mañana los montarán en los dos coches
Translated from Spanish by Bing Wrong translation?
Honda will mount the motor with the new evo in new ICE, Turbo and compressor. 7 tokens used in total. Tomorrow those mounted in the two cars
para bellum.

Chicane
Chicane

Honda spends seven tokens on F1 upgrade for Belgian Grand Prix

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... pa-upgrade
Quickshifter

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

A new compressor, ICE and new fuel to compliment.

It's a reasonable HP increase apparently (20hp talked about) but surely the big improvement will be efficiency.

More efficiency means less fuel saving and more powerful engine modes available for longer, ie race pace improvement.

godlameroso

So 3 for the combustion, 2 for the fuel system, 2 more for a new compressor?

Leaving 3 tokens for new ES and BMS?
Saishū kōnā

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

fellowhoodlums wrote:A new compressor, ICE and new fuel to compliment.

It's a reasonable HP increase apparently (20hp talked about) but surely the big improvement will be efficiency.

More efficiency means less fuel saving and more powerful engine modes available for longer, ie race pace improvement.
That was my thinking as well. From what I've been able to gather Honda's vulnerability hasn't been raw power but efficiency. With Fernando and Jenson having to turn down the engines to save fuel for longer periods in the race than their rivals.

Less horsepower over the average race distance means you can't run as much downforce, the car becomes harder to drive, that's harder on the tires overall and it snowballs from there

More efficiency means more HP over the length of the race so a 20HP boost is just a bonus.