Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
radosav
radosav

Re: Honda Power Unit

wuzak wrote:
Redragon wrote:
damager21 wrote:Honda engine looks quite promising in speed traps during Australia race. Except in sector 2 where Button was 10 kph down on Hamilton, the other two sectors we were between 1 to 4 kph down. Bahrain will be a true test of progress made by Honda engine.

http://s8.postimg.org/slc0k81b9/Australia_Race.png
Well one the signs honda has improved is the accident alonso, i think caught him by surprise to be so closed to the haas at the end of the straight
Because the Haas was braking earlier than Alonso expected, no doubt due to it being on older tyres.
Alonso isn't used to drive so fast Mclaren Honda. :D

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

FW17

Honda had listened to Magneti Marelli's advice, and that the result was a much more progressive engine, having previously been reluctant to have dialogue with the Italian firm.

"It was very hard to get us to sit and talk with the people from Magneti Marelli to try to understand its electronics a bit better," an HRC source told Motorsport.com.

"Here, we do things our own way, which is usually considered the best way. But when that changes, you have to adapt to the new scenario. However, that's not easy at Honda."

-Honda MotoGP

Pierce89

GoranF1 wrote:Honda has been working on reability during winter, will now focus on performance by introducing a Mercedes style pre-chamber design.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 48499.html
Is there an actual pre-chamber, or are we really talking of typical current stratified charge strategies ?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

FW17

Pierce89 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Honda has been working on reability during winter, will now focus on performance by introducing a Mercedes style pre-chamber design.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 48499.html
Is there an actual pre-chamber, or are we really talking of typical current stratified charge strategies ?

Isn't pre-chamber old technology for Honda?

They had CVCC in 1971

radosav
radosav

Honda fan
Honda fan

This is a program that has been broadcast by the broadcast stations that of Japan NHK (national broadcaster).

https://youtu.be/UulZonQ7QOg

hurril
hurril

That japanese way of covering the interesting parts :/

At 37:23 there are some interesting power figures. Deriving horse power form torque produces some very high numbers.

GoranF1
GoranF1

At the 2:44...the "geriatric gang" :D

GoranF1
GoranF1

OviJohn
OviJohn

Nice Goran! I was about to post the same stills. The final layout for the Power Unit, due to the increase size of turbo and MGU-H is this:

This is the 2015 Layout

This one is the proposed solution for 2016

Size does matters :P

Another thing they seem to be explaning on the video is that they encountered some problems with the variable inlet trumpet

Last edited by OviJohn on 30 Mar 2016, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

short summary of the video by @Muramassa

made turbine-MGU-H-compressor complex bigger
overhaul/alteration to intake piping was needed and was challenge because bigger turbo-mgu-h complex in the V provides less space for inlet piping
seems Sakura's dyno facility has 10 dyno beds at least (not sure if the building is just 1 floor or 2 floors)

Nakamura (chief engineer)
sad/devastated about Alonso at Hungary Quali esp, it stuck in his mind and made him determined to overcome reliability and bounce back

Hasegwa
being one team and respect is important of course, but what's essential is to make competitive power unit
no matter how well you get along each other, it's pointless if you cant make comptitive/quality thing technologically
if they dont believe that the team will be better by listening to Honda, it's meaningless
In that sense, Honda must be the team that can be on equal terms / equally competitive/qualified

On the inlet issue in 1st session of Barcelona testing (the known problem Nakamura talked about on the 1st day of testing to Japanese media)
vulnerability in variable inlet trumpet - friction between fixed pipe and moveable pipe, distortion in mechanical parts causing breakage

Exchange between barcelona and sakura on 1st day when JB stayed in garage most of the morning session
-- (trumpet got stuck)
engineer at sakura: "Design team reckons it's ok, it wont break down"
-- run by disabling inlet valve
-- need to lock the valve
engineers at Barcelona to Sakura: "lock it by either hydraulic method or binding it by wire?"
engineers at Sakura: "hydraulic lock is fine"

Melbourne race
JB's PU had abnormally high water pressure before the start
Engineer at Sakura: "exceeding 10,000"
stabilized in the race
engineer at Sakura: "water pressure in decline tendency for the last 10 laps or so. At this rate it can make another 100+laps"

FW17

Looks like the variable length trumpet has incredibly short range in comparison to the other 3 engines

hurril
hurril

FW17 wrote:http://i66.tinypic.com/2dvifef.jpg

Looks like the variable length trumpet has incredibly short range in comparison to the other 3 engines
How do you make that call? Have you seen pictures of the actual range that Honda has (or any of the others have?)

FW17

Cant you make out the range from the mechanism?