Oil Pipelines - Head Losses

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Kronos

Oil Pipelines - Head Losses

A previous thread concluded that approximately 55kW of power was consumed by internal friction in F1 V8s.

I'm wondering what kind of pipelines are used for both water and oil transportation in F1 cars? Some formulas use rubber hosing, others braided rubber hosing - and I've just realised that braided teflon hosing is available (this particular product isn't for engine fluids, however):

http://www.delikon.com/teflon.html

Is this common, and is this what's used in F1? I'm unsure of how much of a difference the wall roughness makes in the sort of lengths used in race-cars.

- Kronos

marcush.

Re: Oil Pipelines - Head Losses

If you need flexible lines ,there is convoluted kevlar or polyester braided teflon hose available ,but you always tend to plumb with hard lines joined by wiggins couplings .
for example:
http://www.sobek-motorsporttechnik.eu/f ... _Sport.pdf

riff_raff

Re: Oil Pipelines - Head Losses

Kronos,

Very little of the mechanical losses in an F1 engine can be attributed to the oil/coolant circuit fluid flow losses due to the turbulence created by the internal surface roughness of the passages/conduits. With regards to these flow losses, a greater contributor would be the geometry of the pipes themselves (ie. bends, cross section changes, etc.).

Most F1 engines use as few external hoses as possible, for reliability. Every joint, hose, or seal is a potential failure point.

As for turbulence in the oil/coolant flow passages, within the tubes of the heat exchangers there are actually flow "turbulators". These turbulators intentionally create a turbulent fluid flow, which improves the heat transfer rate between the fluid and tube inner wall surface.

riff_raff
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"