Mark Gallagher to leave Cosworth.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Mark Gallagher to leave Cosworth.

After only two years, am I alone taking this as a sign that Cosworth will not make the investment in a 1.6 V6 turbo for 2014?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23535.html

With only two teams for next year, perhaps they are leaving already after 2012?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

Re: Mark Gallagher to leave Cosworth.

It's inevitable. Teams are already jumping ship, the number of teams they are supplying means the whole business is now not viable and I doubt whether they're going to pump the money required into developing a V6.

xpensive
xpensive

Enter PURE perhaps, which might xplain why MrT so easily released Gilles Simon, to help securing that a competitive and independent engine-supplier is available for the minnows come 2014?
Last edited by xpensive on 09 Sep 2011, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

munudeges
munudeges

Mr. M's cosy preferred supplier gives way to Mr. T's, and he's given everyone a kick in the teeth releasing Simon after having the four banger rejected.

xpensive
xpensive

There's more, just get the load of this for a conspiracy theory; One French engine manufacturer helps edging MrM's pet out by stealing yet another of their teams for 2012, giving the new French manufacturer room for 2014, all the while MrT is...French?

marcush.
marcush.

it seems all too obvious that good networking is a very important soft skill in motorsports...as decisions and new directions are not a consequence of logic but personal interests...

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:After only two years, am I alone taking this as a sign that Cosworth will not make the investment in a 1.6 V6 turbo for 2014?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23535.html

With only two teams for next year, perhaps they are leaving already after 2012?
Regretably, I think you are right. "Minnow" teams + "minnow" engine supplier = failure. Funny that all the regulations limiting engine technology have NOT helped Cosworth be competitive. The DFV broke new ground in engine design and was spectacularly successful. Today, inovative design is anathema, so Cosworth has lost any creative edge they might have over the giants. In the USA, "there is no substitute for cubic inches." In F1, no substitute for cubic money.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Pup
Pup

Cosworth's troubles aren't limited to Renault. They're going to get squeezed on the other end by PURE as well. I've no idea how many teams will take up the PURE engine, but someone will, and that someone probably has a Cosworth contract right now.