Mercedes-Benz F0110K V10

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
megz

Mercedes-Benz F0110K V10

Hi all,

Just openly wondering the other day as I watched the 2001 season review that the Mercedes-Benz F0110K V10 made very different note in comparison to the other cars of that year. Was it simply due to the routing through the diffuser or was it, in part, due to the aluminum berylium alloys used in the engine (or were they outlawed earlier than that?)

Here's what I mean
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okw3393YmzM[/youtube]

and a straight comparison

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEtG_mOWAs[/youtube]
The Honda and Ferrari engines in the Jordan and Prost sound like the screaming V10s we know and love then along comes the oddball...

Any thoughts, ideas?

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Re: Mercedes-Benz F0110K V10

Beryllium was banned in 1998 IIRC.
Exhausts were of the periscope type (seen on the vid) so no EBD back then.
Maybe different firing order or ducting. From outside it's not much different. On-board camera mic may have some band limitation.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

JohnsonsEvilTwin

If I remember correctly it was due to the exhaust layout.
There was also a pronounced induction whistle in the slower corners. Savage sounding engine all the same.

What are these two pipes? Exhaust extensions?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Oops, with so many changes in the last 10 years my memory has let me down.

Strangely I still think the chimneys on MP4-16 appeared with the high placed exhaust.

BTW, back then I still had no (good enough) internet connection and seems to have missed what necessitated the upper exhaust and when it did happen.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

hecti
hecti

I love that sound!!!
i have heard that there where butterfly valves in the exhaust system of that car and the noise was dependent on the routing.... not really sure tho

megz

Thanks guys, regardless it was a bizarre sounding thing. Very cool. Wouldn't mind a bit more of that in my life 8)

Fred444
Fred444

I saw this car at the British GP and will remmeber it for the rest of my life.

It sounded amazing, but stationary and moving slowly is was even more so. It screamed like some sort of god like, wild animal.

We were stood right near the end of the pit lane and it was a morning warmup. People were talking all the time and what have you.

One of these stopped just out of the pit lane. Everybody laughed thinking it had broken down. Then all of a sudden it did some revs, then did some full on revs and a practice start.

The entire croud was basically stunned. There was literally a 5 second silence after it happened where every single person just went "fk me"

I can't even begin to explain the noises it made, but try find some videos of it in the pits. I have tried for years, but to no success :(

prm
prm

Hi There,

MP4/16 had both banks of the exhaust routed so they met in a single exit in the centre of the defuser. The photo above showing the twin exhausts per side is MP4/14 - FO110H I believe.

The 16 was a great sounding car.