Stripped F1 Gearbox

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Crucial_Xtreme

Stripped F1 Gearbox

Scarbs posted a picture of a stripped F1 gearbox at the AS show. Be sure to click full size picture, great detail.

http://a.yfrog.com/img736/2254/yukzy.jpg

riff_raff

Re: Stripped F1 Gearbox

Crucial_Xtreme,

Thanks for posting the picture. Definitely shows what a nice job of packaging modern F1 gearbox designers can do.

Hi-res photos like this are especially fun to look at for engineers. If you look closely, you can even see the wear patterns on the gear tooth flanks. For example, the two gears on the right side show wear patterns predominately above the pitch line, which would indicate that their profiles would benefit from some geometry optimization.

riff_raff
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

NonNewtonic

which car is this gearbox from? Is from a car that had race for this few season ?

FW17

NonNewtonic wrote:which car is this gearbox from? Is from a car that had race for this few season ?

Virgin

Owen.C93

How big is it?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Giblet

The minimum gear thickness is 12mm, and based on Williams saying the longevity of their new gearbox was no problem since they could could have gone to much thinner gears, I will assume that these are exactly 12mm wide.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

strad

The minimum gear thickness is 12mm, and based on Williams saying the longevity of their new gearbox was no problem since they could could have gone to much thinner gears, I will assume that these are exactly 12mm wide.
Well if they could have been thinner then they can't be 12mm,,they would have to be at least 13mm. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mx_tifoso

How much does a modern gearbox weigh?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

PlatinumZealot

Guess.. 20kg?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

scarbs

IIRC Xtrac announced their 2009 gearbox was 24kg, so I guess a contemporary carbon case 'box is around 20kg or lighter

pgpada

Is this gearbox used? cause i see no wear...

strad

then your not looking... :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

allstaruk08

instead of laughing at a new person here why not tell them were the wear pattern is?

strad

If you look you can at see the wear pattern on the gears teeth and on the shift drum as well...I think I see some wear on the shift fork but that might be light and shadow..
Sorry but that wasn't anything compared to what gets laid on some guys,,especially if you don't have a D.Eng. or D.Engr. or Eng.D. or Dr.Eng. or Dr.-Ing after our name ;)
Sorry pgpada shouldn't hand out what I've recieved..allstaruk08 is right
Sir Stirling Moss

pgpada

strad wrote:If you look you can at see the wear pattern on the gears teeth and on the shift drum as well...I think I see some wear on the shift fork but that might be light and shadow..
Sorry but that wasn't anything compared to what gets laid on some guys,,especially if you don't have a D.Eng. or D.Engr. or Eng.D. or Dr.Eng. or Dr.-Ing after our name ;)
Sorry pgpada shouldn't hand out what I've recieved..allstaruk08 is right
Ok i don't mind. after all i can see the wear on the shifting mechanism but you were referring to the gears also. after all the shifting drums really don't take their maximum loads in the direction of the towards the center, and this kind of wear could be done by just a simple test.

So except from these the gears seem brand new... and of course the speculation about tooth optimisation is empty.