Lotus gearbox change

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Lotus gearbox change

Lotus changed Raikkonen's gearbox after he overheated it in Australia. They said the gearbox's bearing cage was failing. I assume that it is bronze and the saw it in the oil. I have had trouble with steel bearing cages in the past under similar overheating situation. The bearing races showed only slight wear, but the bearing cages while highly worn. Why is that? Is it that much work controlling the rolling elements?

Brian

Ferraripilot

Re: Lotus gearbox change

hardingfv32 wrote:Lotus changed Raikkonen's gearbox after he overheated it in Australia. They said the gearbox's bearing cage was failing. I assume that it is bronze and the saw it in the oil. I have had trouble with steel bearing cages in the past under similar overheating situation. The bearing races showed only slight wear, but the bearing cages while highly worn. Why is that? Is it that much work controlling the rolling elements?

Brian

The cages are present to maintain correct spacing between each rolling part of course. Cages are generally made of thin material and are subject to minimal load so I'm definitely as confused as you are. I have had my hands inside many Ferrari gearboxes and many caged roller bearings and even on 35 year old Ferrari Boxer engine gearboxes I have yet to see one go bad. It's usually the races or the bearings themselves pitting which causes the issue. Perhaps Renaults issue is inherent to the poor design of the bearing itself? Or just a faulty cage?