gearbox ratios

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
drivinhard
drivinhard

gearbox ratios

have always wonder how the ratios are spread in an F1 box. do they always max out top gear as 1:1 with appropriate final drive to be at max rpm on the longest straight and work backwards? or do the top gear(s) use a slight OD, .95 or .90 or so?

have always wondered how they spread them out (and what ratio is top gear) but have never seen any data posted anywhere.

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: gearbox ratios

if you look at the onboard footage from f1.com, its not hard to extract shift points from the overlay. From then, its a set of linear equations from which you can determine final drive and individual gear ratio and gear spacing.

Note that there will be significant variation track to track. Generally speaking they can range from 284 km/h at monaco to 340 km/h at Monza, with those two tracks being the absolute extremes in almost every way.

autogyro
autogyro

The interesting thing, is that in 2014 when there is a major change in regulations, the number of ratios allowed will change from 7 to 8.
The limit set in the early 1990's by the FIA at 7 gears was motivated by the transmission development we were involved with at the time.
We had available 25 speed geartrains with automatic shift systems.
The cars at that time required to be shifted manualy and it was felt more in the spirit of driver skill to keep them manual.
The number of gears for the regulations was chosen based on the conclusion that Garry Anderson and myself came to based on the 7 speed gearbox fitted to the Jordan. We did not believe more gears could be managed using manual shifting.

[...]

The continued domination of downforce aerodynamics has now completely masked and held back any proper mechanical development potential of any part of the drive trains in F1 and most of any potential suspension and braking development as well.
True, KERS was introduced in an attempt to bring back some relevent technology for this century but even that has been subordinated to the aero downforce god.
KERS might now just be a bolt on bought in controlled item. It is definitely not a major development area (compared to aero) as it should be.

The reason for an increase to 8 gears in 2014 is solely to make it easier to control the powertrain for energy recovery in the dynamic environment forced by excessive downforce.
The joke is that it would be next to impossible to make the driver change 8 gears manualy anyway but the regulations still pay an illusion of lip service to driver skill in control over the power train.
Last edited by Steven on 28 Mar 2012, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed ranting

machin

autogyro wrote: The reason for an increase to 8 gears in 2014 is solely to make it easier to control the powertrain for energy recovery in the dynamic environment forced by excessive downforce.
Was it?
http://www.manipef1.com/news/articles/12711/
Another major change to the powertrain rules for 2014 is the gearbox specification, which will now feature a set selection of gear ratios for the entire season for each driver. Currently, teams are allowed to change gear ratios between races in order to optimise its set-up for each track, but the same ratios will have to be used at every track from 2014, including such extremities as Monaco and Monza.

The restriction was requested by the teams who are eyeing yet another cost saving from the initiative. It has been made possible by adding an eighth gear to the gearbox and by the fuel flow limit of 100 kg/hour on engines in the upper third of the its rev range. As a result Sam Michael says it won't be that big a challenge to balance gearbox performance between all the different tracks.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

raymondu999

Don't forget it's not just about an 8 speed gearbox - but about ratios that have been locked in from the start of the year. I think they're allowed 1 or 2 joker changes though?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

drivinhard
drivinhard

Lycoming wrote:if you look at the onboard footage from f1.com, its not hard to extract shift points from the overlay. From then, its a set of linear equations from which you can determine final drive and individual gear ratio and gear spacing.
we know revs, and rear tire height, but how could you figure top gear ratio if you don't know the final drive ratio? (or vice versa)

I get figuring the spacing between them, based on rev data

autogyro
autogyro

machin wrote:
autogyro wrote: The reason for an increase to 8 gears in 2014 is solely to make it easier to control the powertrain for energy recovery in the dynamic environment forced by excessive downforce.
Was it?
http://www.manipef1.com/news/articles/12711/
Another major change to the powertrain rules for 2014 is the gearbox specification, which will now feature a set selection of gear ratios for the entire season for each driver. Currently, teams are allowed to change gear ratios between races in order to optimise its set-up for each track, but the same ratios will have to be used at every track from 2014, including such extremities as Monaco and Monza.

The restriction was requested by the teams who are eyeing yet another cost saving from the initiative. It has been made possible by adding an eighth gear to the gearbox and by the fuel flow limit of 100 kg/hour on engines in the upper third of the its rev range. As a result Sam Michael says it won't be that big a challenge to balance gearbox performance between all the different tracks.
If you compare the potential cost savings in this further stagnation of gearbox development with the amount spent on irelevent downforce aerodynamic development, it is a tiny fraction saved against a fortune being spent by the bigger teams.
The cost saving argument is simply a weak excuse.
The extra gear and the more even power band and gear spacing is structured to allow aero DF development to continue by making it easier to balance braking and energy recovery with the high downforce levels.
It totaly removes powertrain development as an independent and world relevent discipline sourced from F1 as a motivation for modern physics, engineering and real world human progress.
It also makes a joke out of any attempt to make gearshifting a driver skill as promoted by the FIA etc, which is has not been since the early 1990's.

autogyro
autogyro

raymondu999 wrote:Don't forget it's not just about an 8 speed gearbox - but about ratios that have been locked in from the start of the year. I think they're allowed 1 or 2 joker changes though?
Totaly artificial and still using a layshaft stepped ratio geartrain, exactly the same as in the first cars ever built.
If the FIA wish to restrict gearboxes by this much why not use the CVT transmission for F1 developed by Williams, that would save far more expense.

raymondu999

I'm no gearbox/transmission expert, and your post didn't make much sense ro me (not by virtue of the content, but because I don't understand what you're saying) but I was more referring to how you won't be allowed ro change ratios post 2014.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

machin

drivinhard wrote:we know revs, and rear tire height, but how could you figure top gear ratio if you don't know the final drive ratio? (or vice versa)

I get figuring the spacing between them, based on rev data
Hewland publish their standard ratios for their F3 gearbox on their website... they go down to a 0.89 ratio.... ok, so its not an F1 box.... but I assume the same design considerations go into both designs, i.e both want to be as small, lightweight and efficient as possible... its just that one is playing with 750bhp and the other 200bhp! My guess is that an F1 box would probably use a slight overdrive too where the car's top speeds demand it....

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

machin wrote:F1 box would probably use a slight overdrive too where the car's top speeds demand it....
Any benefit as far as transmission efficiency to gear with an overdrive ratio?

Brian

machin

to be honest I think the opposite... an overdrive is probably less efficient as it means speeding up the output shaft just to reduce it again at the diff... but if the diff is designed to avoid overdrive at the majority of tracks then my guess is that they would accept the overdrive at Spa/Monza to save on requiring a different diff design...

If Autogyro can stop his rants about "old technology" maybe as a transmission engineer he can actually give a qualified answer here....?

autogyro
autogyro

[quote="machin"]to be honest I think the opposite... an overdrive is probably less efficient as it means speeding up the output shaft just to reduce it again at the diff... but if the diff is designed to avoid overdrive at the majority of tracks then my guess is that they would accept the overdrive at Spa/Monza to save on requiring a different diff design...quote]

I cannot see much use for overdrive ratios.
The shifts have to be sequential and with top gear running at 1:1 with the least torque loss, anything below this overdriven would be out of sequence.

To be honest I have not given it much thought.
There might be a trick in there somewhere.
The problem is matching ratios for both the fastest and slowest tracks of course.
I am not sure of this 'joker' and where it will be played.
On the face of it, I would probably use one at Monaco with a low diff ratio and closer gearbox ratios but I have not got any data to work it out properly.