Downforce (not drag) and its effects on fuel consumption

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Re: Downforce (not drag) and its effects on fuel consumption

A quick simulation with OptimumLap says downforce increases fuel consumption. I did simulations for Monaco and Monza, both with the same result. It is very rough calculation, which means i used the same gear ratio for both tracks, allowing only a maximum speed of 320km/h.

But the results seem to be very clear for both tracks!

Monaco: drag coefficient set to 1,2, downforce variable

Monza: drag coefficient set to 1, downforce variable

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

WhiteBlue

IMO nothing really changes. The only difference is the power limitation formula. It means that the most efficient engine produces the highest power. How you use that power with your car is governed by the same rules an d strategies that you use today. Next years car will have a drag and downforce cut compared to this season. But such things have happened before. Lap times will rise and will be clawed back. Part of the change is also tyre performance. It will go down next year as Pirelli will go very conservative.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Tim.Wright

andylaurence wrote:Whilst a higher average speed results in a higher average power, it also results in a lower time spent at that average power. I would expect that there is a point where increasing downforce increases fuel economy as well as where increasing downforce decreases fuel economy.
I'd guess though, that because drag is related to the square of the speed and the laptime is only proportional to the avg speed that the extra power required due to the drag would require more energy than is saved by running for a shorter time.
Not the engineer at Force India

bhall
bhall

Is this really any different than comparing fuel consumption for a dry race versus a wet race? A car with higher downforce can be kept on the throttle longer than a car with less downforce in much the same way cars can be kept on the throttle longer during dry races than they can during wet races, and we know cars don't consume as much fuel during wet races.

Or is that too easy? :)

Tim.Wright

Yea, basically what we are comparing are different grip conditions. Its kinda irrelevant whether this comes from more down force, more tyre grip or better suspension. The result is basically more grip = more speed = more fuel
Not the engineer at Force India

WhiteBlue

I see we are back to down voting opinions we don't like. Apparently the down voter hasn't got the guts to have a fair discussion about the issue. Poor style.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I'd still go for the high downforce option, and I think the decision would be quite easy.

A huge assumption in this thread so far is that the drivers will be driving at max pace throughout the race in either case (high or low downforce). That is an assumption I don't agree with. The recent Pirelli years have been a good example of driving way under the absolute limit of the car to preserve another finite quantity - the tires.

If you can take downforce for free, you'll run right around another car without it. Once the faster car makes the pass, they can choose to back off their max pace and maintain the gap. Now for two cars to drive the same lap time and average speed, I would suspect the high downforce car will be more fuel efficient - able to carry momentum through corners rather than decelerating (wasting car kinetic energy to heat) and then needing to put it back in the car being at full throttle off the corner.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Jersey Tom wrote:A huge assumption in this thread so far is that the drivers will be driving at max pace throughout the race in either case (high or low downforce). That is an assumption I don't agree with. The recent Pirelli years have been a good example of driving way under the absolute limit of the car to preserve another finite quantity - the tires.
Yes, that was the way i approached this question. During the recent years it wasn't possible for the driver to push as hard as the car would have allowed, but next year will look totally different. Pirelli will provide very a durable tyre and we'll see the drivers racing at the engine and aero limit, not the tyre limit.
Jersey Tom wrote:Now for two cars to drive the same lap time and average speed, I would suspect the high downforce car will be more fuel efficient - able to carry momentum through corners rather than decelerating (wasting car kinetic energy to heat) and then needing to put it back in the car being at full throttle off the corner.
That's another interesting way to think about this problem. But with the recent Pirelli tyres the problem was that highspeed turns and highspeed braking hurt them the most, as high speed causes higher power (=force*speed). So if you want to take care of the Pirellis, you should avoid high corner and braking speeds, the opposite of the strategy you proposed. But i'll have a look at this strategy later on and will try to simulate different setups (downforce vs. maximum engine power/final gear ratio) with OptimumLap.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

flynfrog

Tim.Wright wrote:
flynfrog wrote:L/D drag ratios have always been important over sheer DF. Every time they save some drag that is more DF they can crank on the car. The ratio might shift to a different target but the goal has always been to maximize L/D ratio for a given target lap time.
I have done some simulations on this a few years ago. I can say that in F1 L/D ratio is not important. You always want as much downforce as possible. The increase in performance from downforce is always more than what you lose from drag. For that reason F1 cars are very draggy.

Therefore, back on topic, the teams seem to accept the fact that the downforce comes with an extra fuel consumption penalty because of the extra drag.
IF that were true Tim we would see the Monaco wings at Monza.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Blanchimont wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:A huge assumption in this thread so far is that the drivers will be driving at max pace throughout the race in either case (high or low downforce). That is an assumption I don't agree with. The recent Pirelli years have been a good example of driving way under the absolute limit of the car to preserve another finite quantity - the tires.
Yes, that was the way i approached this question. During the recent years it wasn't possible for the driver to push as hard as the car would have allowed, but next year will look totally different. Pirelli will provide very a durable tyre and we'll see the drivers racing at the engine and aero limit, not the tyre limit.
Jersey Tom wrote:Now for two cars to drive the same lap time and average speed, I would suspect the high downforce car will be more fuel efficient - able to carry momentum through corners rather than decelerating (wasting car kinetic energy to heat) and then needing to put it back in the car being at full throttle off the corner.
That's another interesting way to think about this problem. But with the recent Pirelli tyres the problem was that highspeed turns and highspeed braking hurt them the most, as high speed causes higher power (=force*speed). So if you want to take care of the Pirellis, you should avoid high corner and braking speeds, the opposite of the strategy you proposed. But i'll have a look at this strategy later on and will try to simulate different setups (downforce vs. maximum engine power/final gear ratio) with OptimumLap.
Even if Pirelli magically start producing tires that aren't crap... or if they ran Bridgestones or Michelins or whatever.. my assessment would still be the same - take the downforce, no question. The principle is the same - driver can back off their pace to hit a fuel consumption target rather than a "tire consumption" target.

If you have more downforce than everyone (in this hypothetical example, for free) then you have the choice of either driving at max pace and making passes to get to the front... OR backing off and maintaining gap and not running out of fuel.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

For the next simulation with OptimumLap i tried to achieve similar lap times for different car setups.

Monza:
The starting point was to change the parameters to achieve in a lap time of ~1:25min. Then i increased the downforce for the next simulation by 10 % and decreased the engine power until the lap time was about the same again. The same for an decrease of downforce by ten percent. Every other parameter remained constant.

Code: Select all

Monza
              Lap Time       cd      cl        Energy Spent     Power         Energy Difference
Car 1         1:24.75        0,7     2,1       30940 kJ         100%
Car 2         1:23.64        0,7     2,31      31306 kJ         100%          +1,2%
Car 3         1:24.71        0,7     2,31      29792 kJ          92%          -3,7%
Car 4         1:25.90        0,7     1,89      30541 kJ         100%          -1,3%
Car 5         1:24.73        0,7     1,89      32587 kJ         112%          +5,3%
A ten percent advantage in downforce with the same amount of drag allows you to decrease engine power by 8% and saves 3,7% of fuel (weight). This weight bonus could really help you in the beginning of the race with a full fuel tank.

Please discuss!

WhiteBlue

flynfrog wrote:L/D drag ratios have always been important over sheer DF. Every time they save some drag that is more DF they can crank on the car. The ratio might shift to a different target but the goal has always been to maximize L/D ratio for a given target lap time.
Exactly. In 2014 the fuel cap at 10.500 rpm has the same function that the rev limit at 18.000 had in this season. It is a power limiting formula. This year everybody revs up to 18.000 and you can expect everybody to inject 27.8 g/s next year. Fuel use differences will only apply off throttle and to overrun programs.
This year you have different top engine power from different torque curves. Next year you will have different top power from different ICU efficiencies and different energy reclaim management. But that has no impact on aero strategies.
Engineers will do absolutely the same that they have done all the time when they have faced a new aero config with reduced downforce and a different power characteristic. That is what we will have next year. They will design the floor and the air flow over the chassis in such a way that they have the highest aerodynamic efficiency. Only then will they optimize the wings by size and angle of attack for each of the tracks. They will trade cornering speed for for straight line speed until they have found the maximum performance compromize for each track and their particular engine and chassis characteristic. Actually it is a bit more complicated because tyres may still not allow the full performance optimization but I hope it will not be the case.
In the end nothing of the whole process will have much to do with fuel consumption. The only factor that will marginally impact on fuel consumption is electric energy management. If teams decide to use excessive electric power generation in the over run they could jeopardize the ability to use the full fuel rate at 10.500 rpm.
Running an optimum lap program that does not reflect the regulations and technology that we will have next year does not give you reliable information what is going to happen IMO.

Juzh

Lots of good information in here. Can someone answer this question since it's at least partially related to this discussion: what will be next's years top speeds compared to 2013? Given that we're in for a drag and downforce cut, along with an 8-speed gearboxes and 800bhp top power, I'm expecting at least 10-15kph up on this year.

wesley123
wesley123

I dont think the top speeds will be higher. Teams will first just crank up the angles of their wings to regain downforce, the same happened in 2009 and I have no doubt it will happen again.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

Fuel consumption would be in absolute terms higher. However, because you will go faster, you will also be able to travel more distance in the same time frame. So just looking at fuel consumption is a bit harsh. If the procentual difference in average speed is higher then the procentual difference in average fuel consumption, the fuel efficiency would actually be higher with more df. It would also mean that if car A, with more DF, maintained the same average speed as car B, he would actually have less fuel consumption.
Last edited by turbof1 on 15 Jul 2013, 15:56, edited 2 times in total.
#AeroFrodo