Why turbo´s in F1?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
langwadt
langwadt

Re: Why turbo´s in F1?

Tim.Wright wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:And they are not called DC machines in all industrialized countries. Particularly in Europe the manufacturers avoid this kind of confusing nomenclature. It appears to me that the confusion mainly comes from the US or other English spoken countries.
I'm interested to see some examples of this. Not because I don't believe you but I would just like to see it for myself because everyone I have dealt with in the last 3 years on a related project (in Europe btw) are referring to them as "BLDC" motors.

I remember being surprised at how they operate when I first looked into it. After the inverter, there is nothing DC in it at all.
well, you could say there is some "DC" in that what is usually called a BLDC motor is driven with squarewaves
and emf is trapezoidal, thus the waves forms in the winding are similar to a DC motor, the commutation is just
electronic

permanent magnet synchronous motor are very similar but wound differently and driven with sine waves emf is sinusoidal

olefud
olefud

Re: Why turbo´s in F1?

Tim.Wright wrote:
olefud wrote:Electric motors have greatest torque at zero RPM and rather quickly output diminished torque with higher RPM. Not to provoke a sometimes touchy subject, but it’s power that counts not torque.
Thats not exactly true anymore with the way that modern brushless DC motors are controlled. The windings are rated to a particular current, and this gives you a rated torque. This torque is available to you from 0RPM up until the point at which the back emf starts to reduce the speed. So you get something like this:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/images/in_ ... torque.jpg

Basically, it is the bottom half of a typical theoretical DC motor curve which has a linear torque drop-off from the stall torque to the no load speed. While the motor can mathematically still produce much higher torques at 0 RPM, the current rating of the winding simply does not allow it. So what you have is a normal "triangular" Torque vs speed characteristic but "chopped" at a torque limit imposed by the current limit of the windings.

You can go over this limit for short periods but it will heat up the coils because they are operating beyond their rated current. This is why most motor manufacturers will give you a peak torque (current is over the winding rating) and continuous torque rating (current is at the rated level of the winding).

These motors can certainly be run in motor and generator modes. I think these are used as KERs in F1 currently but I'm not sure about that.
My point was that the “monster torques” of motors have to do with no inductive resistance at 0 RPM. Of course the windings won’t survive long but this doesn’t stop drag bikes from using the mode.

As you point out a more conservative approach is to lock out the high current/high torque operating domain until the back EMF builds. But, beyond the lockout area, for a give drive voltage/duty cycle (PWM), torque falls at, as I recall, a second order rate with RPM.