2014 Engine yin yang

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
tuj
tuj

Re: 2014 Engine yin yang

If Renault isn't able to use its MGU-H as has been rumor (it was disabled during the Jerez test supposedly), perhaps the turbo is never even getting up to speed? They most likely sized the turbo with power from the MGU-H to spin it in mind, so it's probably massively oversized for the engine alone.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Re: Ferrari F14T

At least according to F1Fanatic the maximum (officially recorded?) speed in Bahrain was 314kph, so those 340kph is something that one first have to achieve, let alone with 1.6l V6s.

Alonso was already measured with 336 I believe last week.

This "75HP less than Mercedes" rumor looks like total BS to me, or Ferrari has a drag coefficient of a Prius...

motobaleno

Ganxxta wrote:At least according to F1Fanatic the maximum (officially recorded?) speed in Bahrain was 314kph, so those 340kph is something that one first have to achieve, let alone with 1.6l V6s.

Alonso was already measured with 336 I believe last week.

This "75HP less than Mercedes" rumor looks like total BS to me, or Ferrari has a drag coefficient of a Prius...

autsoprint suggests that the difference in best times is due to the fact that ferrari presently cannot use ERS-KERS as massively as mercedes in a single hot lap...this in some way means less power...but this would reduce/disappear in a race mode where the electric motors and batteries are in a "steady state" mode
me too think that these peak velocities even in presence of a different aero efficience cannot go together with a permanent lack of 75 hp...noway

Froggolo
Froggolo

What would not make possible for them to not use it as much as Mercedes powered teams?
does Autosprint have some supposition about this?
apparently doesn't seem F14-T suffered problems to ERS-KERS, at least from what we could get
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

Dream Theater

motobaleno wrote: autsoprint suggests that the difference in best times is due to the fact that ferrari presently cannot use ERS-KERS as massively as mercedes in a single hot lap...
Why they would do that? I really don't understand it...unless they're trying to cover their true performance.

max_speed
max_speed

finally with a lap of 1.34.280 , i feel more optimistic. u just dnt shave off 1.3 seconds from ur previous best , if your pu is lacking 75 bhp or so , i strongly feel that ferrari has more in hand and currently focusing on many aspects for a better complete picture. i feel aero updates have brought some benefits already , once the correlation params were verified i think alonso managed to push a bit. things gonna be interesting and i feel , if aero side works well we can see a F14T bringing back the glory.

max_speed
max_speed

Domenicali brushed off rumours that the Ferrari engine is underpowered and heavier compared to its rivals, but admitted there was still work to do on the energy recovery system.

"First of all, I don't know [about the rumours] because I have heard so many numbers around it. I know what is for sure the situation on our side, and I can guarantee that what I heard are numbers that are throwing the dice in the air [and seeing what lands]!

"To be serious, I think that the most important thing we need to understand on our side is how to manage the balance between the electrical power, the ERS, the MGU-K and the battery. All those things have an effect in terms of horsepower and that's really something which I believe there is a lot of potential to take out."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... uu83K8O.99

Abarth

Seems to confirm what I said already.
The ICE's will not be that different in power (=efficiency in this fuel limited formula) at full load.
Part load efficiency may play a role, but it will be rather limited, as part load is not really a predominant situation in F1.
The teams eventually will be able to run MGU-K at full permitted power of 120kW.
They will eventually come up with sufficiently reliable MGU-H's.
The ES might be more critical, who knows? I seem to grasp that F14T had not much issues with it....

I think, in terms of raw power (=full load consumption), Ferrari is not behind. Not 100, not 75, not 50, and not even 25 BHP.
However, they seem a bit behind Mercedes in terms of bringing all systems together and ensure driveability. Unfortunately, for us trying to analyse the car, this field is rather difficult and dark. :(

Generally F1 PU competition will boil down to how the systems are used all together, startegy of recovery, ES usage, etc.
And it will end in a simulation with subsequent software contest, to allow best driveability and best laptime vs. fuel consuption relation.
Domenicali already hints to this.

And the other part is the aerodynamics...as usual.
Btw, it's still not clear to me whether the rather low drag of the F14T will also be an advantage in terms of consumptions. Full load time per lap will be similar anyway...high or low drag.

F1.Ru

Ganxxta wrote:
F1.Ru wrote:
Ganxxta wrote: [........] so those 340kph is something that one first have to achieve, let alone with 1.6l V6s. [......]
But in case of AUMS post they clearly wrote the top speed of F14T si 339 KM/ph.

Source
339,6 or 340 as I said, you want to argue about 0.4kph?

I just wanted to say that at least on topspeed they are the fastest, and to reach those top speeds with such amount of downforce/drag a lot of engine power is needed...
I am not arguing with you rather i am informing that F14T already achieved 339/340KMph .... so the talk about achieving it is non sensible :roll: ...... and if they can achieve it with 75bph less then it meant a very efficient engine indeed :lol: caz for producing such power it needs a lot of fuel .... and thanks for understanding.
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

motobaleno

Dream Theater wrote:
motobaleno wrote: autsoprint suggests that the difference in best times is due to the fact that ferrari presently cannot use ERS-KERS as massively as mercedes in a single hot lap...
Why they would do that? I really don't understand it...unless they're trying to cover their true performance.

simply because the most "violent" use possible during quali lap creates a huge amount of heat in the battery pack...mercedes could manage it and apparently ferrari not yet

aral
aral

F1.Ru wrote: if they can achieve it with 75bph less then it meant a very efficient engine indeed :lol: caz for producing such power it needs a lot of fuel .... and thanks for understanding.
As nobody has released the bhp being produced, where did you get this 75bhp figure from?

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Regarding the hp differences... Drivability is the game changer not overall hp. If Mercedes eek out that last 75 at 11000 rpm but lose some on the bottom end it could be a wash with Ferrari. Look at red bull ala 2011 at Monza arguably the Renault engine was the least powerful and rb7 was geared low for the corners and yet it grabbed pole. Everyone before the race was commenting on how you need top speed on the straights blah blah blah.

So give me traction out of the corners and good power throughout the rpm range over peak hp please.

F1.Ru

gilgen wrote:
F1.Ru wrote: if they can achieve it with 75bph less then it meant a very efficient engine indeed :lol: caz for producing such power it needs a lot of fuel .... and thanks for understanding.
As nobody has released the bhp being produced, where did you get this 75bhp figure from?
This is the burning issues right now ... i dont know who or how it emerges .... ppl suddenly started to say that Ferrari's PU is producing 75Bph less than the Mercedes PU ...... and that is really funny if one just see that the total bph is around 750bph ... so it means that F14T is producing 340 KMph with only around 675bph PU :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and that is a surely a funny things.

Apart from rumor ..... i think that Ferrari may be overly cautious with reliability due to their ultra compact cooling arrangement. If they can ensure the reliability part, they can perform better than other (In Ferrari's opinion) with lower drag and better top speed.

This is just my thoughts ...so dont ask for any source plz :wink: :wink:
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Juzh

f1316 wrote:According to pitlanetalk Twitter, domenicali told sky Italia Ferrari weren't running full power in Bahrain.

Obviously it's a bit he said/she said, but take it for what it's worth.
340 kph with less than full power? Hard to believe.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

PitLaneTalk 54s

According to our sources, Ferrari lack control over the ERS power boost on acceleration which makes their car slide out of corners. #F1