2014 Engine yin yang

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
sirexilon
sirexilon

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

Hi, I have a question, is the Same Mercedes Power unit used in all car? Byt that i mean Turbo unit, Motor and batteries?

My understanding is Engine or motor it is, and I thought Turbo also is part of it, batteries might not be.

I was looking at the video from SkyTV about the Mercedes Turbo being divided in 2 basically with the compressor turbine in the front, and how much space and all the benefits it brings, but, McLaren is bulky in the back in contrast to the Merc car. So that brought this question. and if Turbo is the same why so bulky? also the radiators on the Merc seam so much smaller.

Video Link here: http://youtu.be/NuBB2F6IutQ

On the image I over imposed the Merc and the rear wing and inlet coincide so it is not just a matter of perspective, the Air Inlet of the Mercedes is so much shorter.
I cna't see the tubes for inlet and I don't have that much knowledge so, maybe you guys can find out more in the pics than I do.
Life long F1 fan. Always learning about all the tech around my favorite sport.

http://www.facebook.com/f1myway

WhiteBlue

Re: 2014 Engine yin yang

The regulation require the manufacturer and the teams to use homologated power units which comprise the ICE, the turbo, two MGUs, the Energy Store(Battery) and the power electronics. All six units have to be the same homologated design for all teams that are supplied by one manufacturer. The only deviation would be the cooling design and the software that goes with those units. Every car has only five of the six units and will incur sporting penalties if they use more than five of each.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)