calculating valve train spring requirements, help

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Ferraripilot

Re: calculating valve train spring requirements, help

Greenlight wrote:You can get the required cam lobe curves from anyone who has a cam checking device such as Cam Doctor, Cam Pro, Dr. Doctor, etc.

I have numbers that I hope are of use:

peak acceleration is .00077"
peak acceleration is at .045" lift
acceleration value at max lift is .000211

acceleration value at reversal point: .0000046 @ .126020" lift (this occurs at 229.5 degrees, then at 230 degrees and .123479 lift the accel value is .0000180

Greenlight
Greenlight

Here ya' go.

The analysis shows that you need a minimum of 186 lbs. of spring force to maintain a stable valve action at 9000 RPM. I normally allow at least a 10% margin (~200 lbs.).

Ferraripilot

this is fabulous, I can't thank you enough!

Pumaracing
Pumaracing

Hi,

Dave Baker from Puma Race Engines here. Just joined this forum. I can't believe your valve weight of 115 grams. An average length 44mm valve weighs mid 80s to 90 grams. Please confirm before I run valve harmonic calculations because the spring pressures you've just been advised seem very wrong to me.

olefud
olefud

Pumaracing wrote:Hi,

Dave Baker from Puma Race Engines here. Just joined this forum. I can't believe your valve weight of 115 grams. An average length 44mm valve weighs mid 80s to 90 grams. Please confirm before I run valve harmonic calculations because the spring pressures you've just been advised seem very wrong to me.
Right, harmonics. Inner and outer springs or beehive would be nice but probably not workable in this case.

Ferraripilot

Pumaracing wrote:Hi,

The stock intake valve was actually about 115g, I weighed the wrong valve. The new 44mm valve is actually 93g. thank you!

Pumaracing
Pumaracing

You're welcome :) I'll run some calcs for you when I get a chance but I'm busy helping someone with his race engine at the moment.

Pumaracing
Pumaracing

For the revised valve train weights you've supplied I get the following numbers.

8200 rpm - 68 lbs seat, 218 lbs full lift
8600 rpm - 75 lbs seat, 240 lbs full lift
9000 rpm - 82 lbs seat, 262 lbs full lift

Ferraripilot

Many thanks!!

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

I thought the way this was done was with a single cylinder test rig and high speed cameras. Or is that dated? Math could give you a range but only way to be sure was to build a test rig....

Pumaracing
Pumaracing

Greenlight wrote:Here ya' go.

The analysis shows that you need a minimum of 186 lbs. of spring force to maintain a stable valve action at 9000 RPM. I normally allow at least a 10% margin (~200 lbs.).

http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/Delsu ... 2.png.html
I'm sorry but these numbers are a mile out. I design race engines and part of that is obviously the spring forces. From a multitude of actual camshaft data versus rpm and spring forces in real engines I can see that this engine requires much more spring pressure at 9000 rpm than 186 lbs. In any case that's lower than we've already been told for the stock springs at 8000 rpm which should give one a hint.

riff_raff
riff_raff

Looking back over the requirements listed in earlier posts and then considering the force/displacement numbers listed in recent posts, I do not think it is possible to produce a valvespring design that meets all of the requirements. Here are the requirements I gathered from the posts:

Installed spring height- 1.54 inch
Valve lift- .59 inch
Compressed spring height- .95 inch
Spring force at installed height- 82 lbf
Spring force at full lift (9krpm)- 262 lbf
Spring rate- 305 lb/in
Spring coil max OD- 1.26 inch

If these requirements are correct, it would not be possible to design a steel valve spring (even a dual spring) that meets all of the requirements without being greatly overstressed.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Ferraripilot

riff_raff wrote:Looking back over the requirements listed in earlier posts and then considering the force/displacement numbers listed in recent posts, I do not think it is possible to produce a valvespring design that meets all of the requirements. Here are the requirements I gathered from the posts:

Installed spring height- 1.54 inch
Valve lift- .59 inch
Compressed spring height- .95 inch
Spring force at installed height- 82 lbf
Spring force at full lift (9krpm)- 262 lbf
Spring rate- 305 lb/in
Spring coil max OD- 1.26 inch

If these requirements are correct, it would not be possible to design a steel valve spring (even a dual spring) that meets all of the requirements without being greatly overstressed.

I actually sourced a perfect dual spring for this application which has been working very well. The spring has about 97lbs at the seat and 230lbs open. The spring rate is some 312lbs/inch and was an IRL engine design originally. This engines isn't seeing more than 8000-8200rpm and it's been working fine.

Pumaracing
Pumaracing

Ferraripilot wrote:I actually sourced a perfect dual spring for this application which has been working very well. The spring has about 97lbs at the seat and 230lbs open. The spring rate is some 312lbs/inch and was an IRL engine design originally. This engines isn't seeing more than 8000-8200rpm and it's been working fine.
That sounds excellent. It never hurts to have a bit more seat pressure than calculations might suggest and it's a very risky strategy to go light in that area. Low seat pressure shows up more quickly as anomalous engine performance than does low full lift pressure. The usual symptom of low seat pressure is an engine that hits a specific rpm and then just won't rev past it like it's hitting a brick wall. I think you'll be very happy with those springs at those pressures for your application.

riff_raff
riff_raff

Ferraripilot wrote:I actually sourced a perfect dual spring for this application which has been working very well. The spring has about 97lbs at the seat and 230lbs open. The spring rate is some 312lbs/inch and was an IRL engine design originally. This engines isn't seeing more than 8000-8200rpm and it's been working fine.
Ferraripilot-

Did I miss something in your previous posts describing the spring requirements? From your most recent post, the rate of your spring pair would be 364 lbs/in based on the .59" lift number you previously noted, and not 312lbs/inch.

You also stated that your valve was 44mm diameter, which is probably much larger than any IRL engine ever used. So I can't imagine a dual valvespring designed for an IRL engine with much smaller valves and valve lift requirements providing the .59" lift you said was required. Those IRL engine valvesprings are probably designed for less than .4" inch of valve lift, and your 44mm intake valve should have at least .49" of lift for good performance.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"