2014 intercooling

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: 2014 intercooling

That last picture is interesting, as it indicates that there is some kind of heat exchanger along the left side as timbo says.
As suspected it could be integrated into the side of the fuel tank.
If not there, then it may be the additional radiator on the right hand side of the car.

hmm...

So if it's water to air.

then it's integrated water to air in the side of the tank going to a water radiator on the right side of the car.

If it's air to air.

It's that same radiator/intercooler as the sole heat exchanger.

But that McLaren pic definitely would support the integrated intercooler design.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

mrluke wrote:That last picture is interesting though, looks like a torturous route for the charge air.
Why is this? Is the flow better into the intercooler with this alignment?

Brian

FW17

hardingfv32 wrote:
mrluke wrote:That last picture is interesting though, looks like a torturous route for the charge air.
Why is this? Is the flow better into the intercooler with this alignment?

Brian
Think Mclaren just had some extra piping lying around from their octopus exhaust days

dren

Looks like the Merc has a wide cooled charge air pipe that splits into the two that feed the separate intake manifolds.
Honda!

mrluke
mrluke

From the Mercedes thread (thanks to stefan)

Where is the intercooler?

The left hand side (as we look at it, right in the car) looks to be made of 2 rads stacked vertically?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

You can't see the intercooler from there, its embedded somewhere. Which rad is the intercooler loop I'm not sure, probably the left hand sidepod though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

FW17

Are merc running a intercooler or doing the indycar thing of running without one

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

WilliamsF1 wrote:Are merc running a intercooler or doing the indycar thing of running without one
Indy cars run on alcohol which has a substantial cooling affect. Intercoolers are not required.

Brian

mrluke
mrluke

Owen.C93 wrote:You can't see the intercooler from there, its embedded somewhere. Which rad is the intercooler loop I'm not sure, probably the left hand sidepod though.
If it is air to air then it should be visible as its got to have a large amount of air going to it..

Powershift

Owen.C93 wrote:You can't see the intercooler from there, its embedded somewhere. Which rad is the intercooler loop I'm not sure, probably the left hand sidepod though.
I still think the intercooler is not in the side pods but rather on top of the engine where we think the air filter usually is/would be and fed by the roll hoop air inlet.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

I also think it's quite plausible the intercooler is on top.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Jolle
Jolle

Dragonfly wrote:I also think it's quite plausible the intercooler is on top.
The intake on top is very deffinate the engine air intake, which takes it trough an air filter (roughly at the red stripe) into the intake compressor at the front of the engine. Because it's clearly an air to water to air system, both radiators are more or less the same, so as long as we can't follow the hoses, we don't know....

the water to air unit is probably somewhere low down in the car, maybe even under the fuel tank? I would put it at least right next to the battery, near the COG....

Powershift

Jolle wrote:
The intake on top is very deffinate the engine air intake, which takes it trough an air filter (roughly at the red stripe) into the intake compressor at the front of the engine. Because it's clearly an air to water to air system, both radiators are more or less the same, so as long as we can't follow the hoses, we don't know....

the water to air unit is probably somewhere low down in the car, maybe even under the fuel tank? I would put it at least right next to the battery, near the COG....
What sense does this make? Put the interCOOLER near the hot battery? And then where would the air to cool it come from? There are 3 air inlets on the car, the 2 side pods and the roll hoop air intake(plus the little "ears" on it). Is there an air intake behind the driver's helmet? I've been looking but its hard to tell. Turbo engines don't need the ram air effect of the air inlet so it would be most advantageous to use the cooling ability of that air to cool the intercooler.

And I still don't see any advantage to use a water/air intercooler.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Jolle
Jolle

Powershift wrote:
Jolle wrote:

What sense does this make? Put the interCOOLER near the hot battery? And then where would the air to cool it come from? There are 3 air inlets on the car, the 2 side pods and the roll hoop air intake(plus the little "ears" on it). Is there an air intake behind the driver's helmet? I've been looking but its hard to tell. Turbo engines don't need the ram air effect of the air inlet so it would be most advantageous to use the cooling ability of that air to cool the intercooler.

And I still don't see any advantage to use a water/air intercooler.
Not right on top of the battery... but that water is more dense then fuel, it would be obvious to have it as low in the car as possible, and that is near the most dense thing in the whole car, the battery (with some nice shielding of course)

As for why an air to water to air cooler, well... there isn't a fat big radiator anywhere on the car.
The small coolers at the back, fed by the ears are, I think, oil coolers for the gearbox and the electronics. They are too small to do any intercooling.

ringo

mrluke wrote:From the Mercedes thread (thanks to stefan)

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 769298.jpg

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 769437.jpg

Where is the intercooler?

The left hand side (as we look at it, right in the car) looks to be made of 2 rads stacked vertically?
Those very same radiators can be intercoolers. I don't see why an intercooler needs to look different than a radiator?
Take the big fat redbull intercoolers and cut them in half longitudinally and you get these thin intercoolers that we see on the mercedes.
I've been looking at this car, and unless the bwater intercooler is not in the side of the fuel tank, then i don't see where it's going to be.

Judging by how the heat exchanger is welded together, i would say that the one on the left is the intercooler.

if it were water to air it may look like this:

however it makes more sense thermally if they just pipe the air to the side pod and be done. Outside of having the flexibility to have thinnner radiators, compared to a thick intercooler, there isn't any cooling advantage with water to air.
This may all be down to an aerodynamic compromise in terms of sidepod air flow.
For Sure!!