Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Craigy

Re: Honda Power Unit

Joseki wrote:https://twitter.com/AlexPzPrez_/status/ ... 8868879360

Here's the sound from the engine at the first stop.
That sounds like a guy saying "whoa, whoa, whoa", and a kid banging a toy in the background.
I don't hear an engine at all.

Joseki
Joseki

Craigy wrote:
Joseki wrote:https://twitter.com/AlexPzPrez_/status/ ... 8868879360

Here's the sound from the engine at the first stop.
That sounds like a guy saying "whoa, whoa, whoa", and a kid banging a toy in the background.
I don't hear an engine at all.
https://twitter.com/OfficialMinis/statu ... 1230446593

Here's better.

EDIT: oh I see the sarcasm now. :lol:

godlameroso

Sounds like they ran it out of fuel.
Saishū kōnā

kaepernickus

https://twitter.com/piusgasso/status/839815324681789441 I don't speak Spanish but seems like is an electrical issue.

Craigy

kaepernickus wrote:https://twitter.com/piusgasso/status/839815324681789441

I don't speak Spanish but seems like is an electrical issue.
I don't speak Spanish either, so ran it through translate.google.com
Google translate wrote: Anyway ... McLaren has not broken the engine is an electronic problem so now they will look at it and in the afternoon "I guess" they will leave

ripper
ripper

Quick translation:

"McLaren didn't break the engine, it's an electronic problem so now they will examine it and in the afternoon "I suppose" they will be able to run"

Chanman141
Chanman141

I wonder if it's still related to the insulation problem for ground effecting mentioned in a previous I interview with Yusuke Hasegawa. Unfortunate problem because they appeared to be slowly ramping up the power

RS200E

Electrical problem confirmed on mclaren.com

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/

"An electrical issue with the car has stopped play, but Stoffel will be back out on track once we've completed our inspection of the MCL32."
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Thunder

Is the MGU-K is geared to the Crankshaft? If so would a broken Gear on the MGU-K count as an electrical Fault? (PR Talk included)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

hudnut
hudnut

danielk wrote::oops: Can someone send them videos to Mclaren Honda to let them know it sure didn't sound like an electrical problem!!
I dunno, when I heard the video, first thing I thought was it sounded like an ignition issue.

ziggy
ziggy

AMuS reporting " mclaren engineers allready worried, because they can see another engine failure is near in the data". Queston: what data are they using? Oil analyse? Pressures falling?

Joseki
Joseki

It seems like they had another engine problem and the car had to box slowly.

godlameroso

Honda is all like:
Ok clean slate, make the best engine we can possibly conceive of given what we've learned. Ok now make it better in every way possible. Ok we've done that, now maybe we should keep developing this. Nope, not the Honda way, let's build 6 different versions and see which one will have more potential. Ok we've done that, this one has the most potential, but it has loading issues. Ok good, now get it running with perfect reliability, but make it half as thick and one quarter the weight of the problem engine, with even better reliability. Ok we've done that, ok now make it have even more power than you originally envisioned, and even though our engine is at the weight limit, let's make it even lighter, with better weight distribution.

A year and massive effort later, engine is nowhere near being finished because this behavior repeats itself to the point that every point of the power unit keeps being improved to the point the R&D phase lags by months before testing the components is possible.

In other words, things are over thought to the point that it causes delays. Now is this a good strategy? It's the only strategy if one is honest with themselves. When everything goes according to schedule, nothing can go according to plan, and if things go according to plan, nothing will go according to schedule.
Saishū kōnā

FW17

So when is Yusuke Hasegawa resigning? Saturday or Monday?

Wazari

It amazes me how much effort people take to try and discredit or put down other people on the Internet. To actually email the HR department at Sakura to figure out who I am, to that person, you need to find another hobby. So to all of those who think I’m a fraud or fake, just believe that I’m the head janitor at Sakura and my nephew is a part-time musubi-maker in the cafeteria. You might as well also stop reading here.

To the rest of you, I appreciate your kind words and this forum as I have mentioned is a form of entertainment and diversion for myself. I don’t think I will be posting for a while but will lurk from time to time. The internet has made the world so much smaller. This forum has allowed me to make a few close contacts and even meet one individual in person. Amazing! My contract with HRD ends this month and I am not going to continue. As I approach 70, I realize life is short and some of you know that my daughter has battled cancer twice and I plan on spending more time with her and the grandkids. I also have my personal automotive projects that have been neglected and need attending to. Enough about me.
I’ve always been known as a 反逆者 at Honda so I’m going post my opinion about this year’s PU and HRD in general. I was asked by a Honda enthusiast and journalist about this year’s PU and overall direction and here was my response from March 6th.

F1 has also changed immensely. Mostly the technology has become so complex that I don’t see how this translates to cost cutting. I suppose that eventually some of this technology might find its way into passenger cars but at what price? Can $150,000 ES devices be brought down to a level where it can be used in a $35,000 passenger car? I don’t see it even with economies of scale. At the end of day, everything is still petrol based. How does this translate to alternative fuels, etc.?

The current PU overall I think is very good and I am excited about it. But, lack of actual track testing it makes it difficult. Honda has not used test mules because mainly we don’t know when to stop. That is a fault. HRD is constantly trying to make improvements until the last moment and I struggle at times with this mentality. I was this way in the ‘80’s but I have changed. There comes a point where you need to concentrate on improving what you have built rather than constantly trying to build new versions. This between you and me is Honda’s biggest weakness at this point IMO. This IMO leads to lack of testing time for each upgrade. What is better, 5,000 hours of testing on 10 different versions or 10,000 hours of testing on 5 different versions? Arai-san especially thought the former. Then when I think okay this is good enough for now, some interpret that as quitting. So in this aspect, I get frustrated. My contract ends in 30 days and I will not renew. I am done with F1 as a consultant/engineer. It’s not fun anymore.

So I hope this PU can be exploited to its full potential. The power is there, the efficiency is there and as usual, reliability is the big question mark because mainly of what I have mentioned before. This of course has caused friction between us and McLaren and it is a very, very difficult partnership. I don’t know what the future lies but I know we have put tremendous effort into this PU. Almost everything is new. This is what IMO we should have built for 2015. Things will break. The latest failure was a valve-train issue stemming from an electrical problem. This is a problem that is being addressed currently and I think should be resolved before Melbourne.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro