Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
JonoNic

Re: Honda Power Unit

Honda has an extremely innovative PU that they cannot get to work properly yet and therefore is down on power. This 'help offered' from other teams or the FIA is because Honda traditionally works alone and their innovation they keep to themselves. If Honda gets it right on their own then how would the other teams find out what they are doing? Will an integral Japanese engineer leave Honda for Renault, Ferrari or Mercedes? Honda employees work there their whole lives. Another thing, Mercedes will soon be loosing that oil burn edge and the law of diminishing returns will start affecting them.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

f1316
f1316

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 00:04
ncassi22 wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 06:11
godlameroso wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 21:52
Better custom meshes for more accurate chamber modeling perhaps?
Some pretty cool insights about meshing. https://www.cfdengine.com/blog/what-next-for-cfd/

Mercedes F1 moving mesh CFD visualisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJMNzitpd0
Looks like some sort of thing "pouring" from the spark plug towards the exhaust.. Not sure what to make of it.

reposted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJMNzitpd0

On the "Crap" BP fuel story. I think this one has legs...
It could be hurting Renault too.
Well it certainly is interesting - and imo fairly predictable - that teams/manufacturers who changed fuel suppliers didn't have a completely smooth time of it; neither Renault nor Honda hit the targets they stated publicly prior to the season.

It's just another variable that Mercedes and Ferrari - with their very stable relationships with Petronas and Shell respectively - didn't have to deal with. The partners they've moved to may well be better long-term (and maybe, as Renault have said, having a different supplier for the works team and RB may create competition that drives innovation) - and obviously we don't know if fuel has had any impact in either manufacturer's issue 2017 teething issues- but I think it was almost optimistic to think the changeover would be 100% seamless.

stevesingo
stevesingo

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19246246

I'm surprised that anyone on here is giving that theory any credence. When in his opening few sentences he feels the needs to inform the viewer that the "V6 engine is the 6 cylinder engine in the back of the care that makes the noise". And referring to the ignition event as a detonation, I don't believe was a fraudulent slip.

The likelihood that Mobil walked away with every last drop of fuel supplied to Honda is vanishingly small, and the likelihood of Castrol not conducting analysis on any remaining equally small. Added to that, it is quite likely that Mobil and Castrol don't even produce the fuel themselves and possibly subcontract. I know for a fact that the fuel production for one of the non UK fuel companies supplying F1, is produced in the UK.

Thunder

JonoNic wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 08:54
Honda has an extremely innovative PU that they cannot get to work properly yet and therefore is down on power. This 'help offered' from other teams or the FIA is because Honda traditionally works alone and their innovation they keep to themselves. If Honda gets it right on their own then how would the other teams find out what they are doing? Will an integral Japanese engineer leave Honda for Renault, Ferrari or Mercedes? Honda employees work there their whole lives. Another thing, Mercedes will soon be loosing that oil burn edge and the law of diminishing returns will start affecting them.

What's so innovative about it that the other Manufacturers would want to know the secret?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

JonoNic

Thunders wrote:
JonoNic wrote:

What's so innovative about it that the other Manufacturers would want to know the secret?
IDK because I do not work for them or are you implying that they have no innovations at all?
Always find the gap then use it.

Thunder

Well it was you that said it was innovative, so i figured you had some information. For all we know the insides could be completely standard tech.
#aerogollum

diffuser

The other thing we keep hearing is that Honda likes to work alone. Yet, we've known for at-least 2 months that they have many "non Japanese" working @ R&D including several McLaren folks.

Thunder

So if Google translate is right Honda may be able to fast Forward some of it's ICE Upgrade to the Spain GP. https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 5087840256
#aerogollum

wuzak
wuzak

JonoNic wrote:
Honda has an extremely innovative PU
So they tell you.

HPD

- New MGU H for Alonso and vandoorne. With new bearings tested in the Bahrain test, but they are forced to change turbos in both cars.

- Will use the innovations tested in the ICE and in the maps of motor (Without changing unit), to improve reliability, Deliver more power and minimize vibrations.

- Honda could advanced the evolution of the engine for the GP Spain
@Albert Fabrega

Logie
Logie

So much talk and speculation, we just have to wait and see if one day, one GP they turn up and the engine is competitive.

godlameroso

Thunders wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 14:36
So if Google translate is right Honda may be able to fast Forward some of it's ICE Upgrade to the Spain GP.
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 5087840256
"aumentar prestaciones" means to improve favorable qualities.

A bit off topic so mods can edit my post if so inclined, but, having the Honda and McLaren start the year the way they have is good drama, especially if they manage to overcome their difficulties.
Saishū kōnā

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

godlameroso wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 17:16
Thunders wrote:
So if Google translate is right Honda may be able to fast Forward some of it's ICE Upgrade to the Spain GP.

A bit off topic so mods can edit my post if so inclined, but, having the Honda and McLaren start the year the way they have is good drama, especially if they manage to overcome their difficulties.
No, "aumentar prestaciones" means "to improve performance"

godlameroso

dr_cooke wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 17:51
godlameroso wrote:
Thunders wrote:

I suppose in this context, the literal translation without context is benefits, as in friends with benefits. But that's splitting hairs, the important part is that improvements are in sight.
Saishū kōnā

hecan
hecan

godlameroso wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 17:58
dr_cooke wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 17:51
godlameroso wrote:

I suppose in this context, the literal translation without context is benefits, as in friends with benefits. But that's splitting hairs, the important part is that improvements are in sight.
Hi, first message on this forum. Being spanish my native tongue I can say it would be a little bit weird if he was talking about drivability or reliability. It's a possibility, yes, but the most probable meaning was performance by far. Still, I wonder if he knows it or he's just guessing