Mercedes Exhaust vs Ferrari Exhaust

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Mercedes Exhaust vs Ferrari Exhaust

Below is a great article from Racecar Engineering which compares Mercedes log exhaust versus Ferrari's tubular exhaust. Much has been made about the benefits or not of the Mercedes log exhaust and this article looks in depth at the benefits of each. Right click>view image for a more clear image.

via Racecar Engineering

gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Mercedes Exhaust vs Ferrari Exhaust

Another thumbs-up from me. Keep them coming CX. I am looking forward to reading your post thoroughly and commenting further.
Last edited by gruntguru on 26 Dec 2014, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
je suis charlie

gruntguru
gruntguru

First comment. Figure 7 and 8 appear to be the same data - misprint! To my eye, both charts show the data for the "equal-length primaries" simulation.

Unfortunately some of the print (chart scales in particular) is too small to read. Can this article be viewed online anywhere?
je suis charlie

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Can anyone expand on the subject of gas dynamic rectifiers in this type of application? Images, illustrations, etc.

Brian

PlatinumZealot

It's a funny term. It is using steps - sharp variations in diamter, using pulse chembers, X-pipes, H-pipes or whatever means necessary to even out the pulses from the engine to be smoother and to give less pulse reversals. Since the turbine wheel is always loaded by the compressor any drop in the pressure delivery means a quick deceleration of the blades. Then to get the blade back up to speed you have to fight against that inertia. It makes boost generation slow and inneficient.

Think of an AC rectifier with a smoothing capacitor and you get the idea.

I do not trust that article too much though. i know that tubular manifolds can give massive inscreases in turbo spooling. Though for a given design rpm range. Logs just kill all the pulses.. Mercedes must have some fancy chambers inside their log to keep any hope of superimposes the pulses from the engine. I rather think the only advantage they have is heat retention and more stable pressures. I don't think pulse tuning is the point of the turbo log. haha.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Richard
Richard

Steven has confirmed that Merc have ditched the log exhaust and gone for traditional tubular. :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/development/461

Ps - link to another earlier thread on the topic :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=18858