Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

godlameroso wrote:Well to get a stochiometric burn you'd only need about 3.5 bar, . . .
Much less actually. All these engines have been lean-burn at full load since the 1.6 turbo formula began. Try reading the 1.6 Turbo thread - or at least the last 2 years worth.
je suis charlie

godlameroso

gruntguru wrote:
godlameroso wrote:I understand where you're coming from, because you're absolutely right from a conventional engine perspective. These engines are a different beast altogether, the rules force you to think from a different point of view. The limitations of normal engines are of little consequence when you consider the level of sophistication involved with these power units. They run on a completely different wavelength, here the key term is more heat = more power, everything else be damned, it just has to hold together for 4,000km then it can incinerate itself for all they care.

If you think about it, detonation is really the best way to get maximum power, detonation is so powerful that it can send a piston straight through the head, crack the block in half and take the body work with it. Imagine if the engine could harness that power :lol:
Detonation is a very inefficient operating mode. Even if you built an engine strong enough to withstand heavy detonation, it would not be efficient. The detonation shock wave destroys the boundary layer at the chamber wall and accelerated heat transfer out of the working fluid and into the metal. This what melts piston lands and destroys engines, but it also wastes a lot of energy.

Have you ever heard of pulse detonation engines?
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a450884.pdf

Not that they're efficient or anything just wondering.

:lol:
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Pulse jets are very thristy and hot. The sound is awesome though. Can be described as thunder out a bottle. I haven't seen anyone put a turbine to one but that might mess up the accoustics.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gruntguru
gruntguru

If you added a turbine, you would be mad not to use that to drive a compressor and . . . oh yes - I have seen one of those!
je suis charlie

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

Pulse jet turbine is concept ready!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=No7IeZVcxx8

Now where were we ... F1 power units for Ferraris ...

godlameroso

I was just highlighting the possibility that detonation is used on these power units to some capacity. No one is running piston engines off pure detonation, but correctly timed can make a big difference. Considering the lean burn and fuel limit, it would certainly be a way to introduce heat in a system that lacks a way to generate it in sufficient quantities using 'normal' methods.
Saishū kōnā

gruntguru
gruntguru

I can guarantee there is no "detonation combustion" occurring in either of those videos. (the model aircraft or the tin can)
je suis charlie

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

I know, but the tin can plus nitro pulse jet looks like a good parlour game!

In the Spark ignition engine I think of end gas detonation as something you tolerate/avoid in order to get more performance in other ways. I'm struggling to think of a way to make it actually useful.

That said, if there was a way, it would be a neat trick.

RicME85

Should just strap a pulse jet to the cars and race them...
https://youtu.be/zsXWspo5hrc
...all night races would look amazing :D

Blackout

PlatinumZealot

What is that round encasement on top?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Gothrek
Gothrek

Any news on the updates Ferrari brought to Monza on the engine?

Sevach
Sevach

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... ly-814400/
Use of 3 tokens confirmed, Ferrari now has 0.

Where? No idea...

sosic2121
sosic2121

Sevach wrote: Use of 3 tokens confirmed, Ferrari now has 0.
So Ferrari was best at something, spending tokens.

ripper
ripper

On f1analisitecnica (http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2016/09 ... rrari.html) there's written that:

- 3 tokens have been spent on ICE (combustion chamber)
- new ICE spec is sightly better than Mercedes one
- Mercedes is still ahead in the hybrid part of the PU, especially in harvesting energy
- This ICE spec was initially planned for Austria or Silverstone, but delayed due to reliability issues
- This spec is still running on benches, but was validated anyway
- New Shell fuel will be used (not written in this article, but somewhere else on the same site)
- Due to reliability issues it had Ferrari won't be using full power, but will only use an increase of 5-10 HP.

So it looks like that more power can be unlocked than those 5-10 HP gained, but in the article there isn't written how much.