Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Mr.G

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

ringo wrote:I guess the question is, can the injector have variable displacements ie hold at one displacement or the other as needed.
That's exactly what I understand from the message...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

roon
roon

gruntguru wrote:So the "anchor" is what would commonly be called an armature.
Seems that double anchors might allow (in combination with double solenoids) two different lift settings. This would potentially allow two different spray patterns but more importantly - increase the dynamic range of the injector by allowing two different flow rates.

Dynamic range as mentioned previously, limits the resolution of the fuel delivery. As the fuel-per-cycle required for full power increases, the high flow injector required will operate at very short durations at light load and the uncertainty (due to variations in opening and closing rates) becomes an unacceptably large percentage of total fuel delivery. This is often resolved by using multiple injectors per cylinder with only one operating at light loads. Of course the rules only permit one injector per cylinder so perhaps the double anchor injector is two injectors in one?
If anchor is a reference to armature, perhaps this is about assisted valve closing action. Instead of only spring action to seat the valve i.e. an anchor to open the valve as per normal, and a second anchor to close the valve. Perhaps the action could be faster than a spring alone, and the seating more secure. Less bounce.

PlatinumZealot

I thought street cars such as BMW M3 already had dual stage injection? I think it is really more about dual range more than dual stage as some posters pointed out earlier. It is a big difference. You could have two stages and still have the same resolution so to speak. But this dual anchor is like the V-tec of injection.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sammy10
Sammy10

Hello guys, any idea why the Ferrari crew were doing this outside of their pit box and in principle in front of the people watching from the stand upstairs? Was it just to attract the attention?
One umbrella covers the driver but what about the other one?

I was there for the entire day and have not seen any other F1 team do this...

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!

ferkan
ferkan

The team of the Cavallino has built its base around the motor 062 which is definitely a quantum leap compared to the unit last year: the work done on the turbo and sull'ERS allows charging more efficient electricity with MGU- H, having lowered to 3.5 bar, the maximum pressure value, while in 2016 the engineers from Maranello had arrived to 5.5 bar that generated a counter-pressure on the exhaust valves in some situations had the reliability of 6 cylinders . In the new configuration, drivers may take advantage of the electric power (max 160 horses) for a lap time by almost 50 seconds, much more than in the past.

But vitaminizzare the internal combustion engine must have been also a new Shell petrol with valid anti-detonating factors which led to the heart dl Cavallino to find the reliability that was lacking a few weeks ago: a passage perhaps decisive leap in the overall quality of the Red .

Ferrari has completed eight days of testing with the same engine (also Haas), a sign that the reliability of the mechanics is reached: gave no problems not even change, one of the Achilles heels of the SF16-H whose replacements They had cost fifty lost positions on the grid.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/anali ... ce-882107/

Less ICE power this year?

ripper
ripper

ferkan wrote:
The team of the Cavallino has built its base around the motor 062 which is definitely a quantum leap compared to the unit last year: the work done on the turbo and sull'ERS allows charging more efficient electricity with MGU- H, having lowered to 3.5 bar, the maximum pressure value, while in 2016 the engineers from Maranello had arrived to 5.5 bar that generated a counter-pressure on the exhaust valves in some situations had the reliability of 6 cylinders . In the new configuration, drivers may take advantage of the electric power (max 160 horses) for a lap time by almost 50 seconds, much more than in the past.

But vitaminizzare the internal combustion engine must have been also a new Shell petrol with valid anti-detonating factors which led to the heart dl Cavallino to find the reliability that was lacking a few weeks ago: a passage perhaps decisive leap in the overall quality of the Red .

Ferrari has completed eight days of testing with the same engine (also Haas), a sign that the reliability of the mechanics is reached: gave no problems not even change, one of the Achilles heels of the SF16-H whose replacements They had cost fifty lost positions on the grid.

I've read a couple of time the article in italian and there's never mentioned less ICE power this year, as far as I have read (also on motorsport) the 062 should have some HP more this year. The article only speaks of less turbo pressure and more energy harvest by MGU-H.

Cuky

Sammy10 wrote:Hello guys, any idea why the Ferrari crew were doing this outside of their pit box and in principle in front of the people watching from the stand upstairs? Was it just to attract the attention?
One umbrella covers the driver but what about the other one?

I was there for the entire day and have not seen any other F1 team do this...

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDGjNVyRIu4

They were doing race sim in the afternoon and they went through all the procedures they do before the race start...Basically, they set up the car and crew around it as if it was on the grid before the race rather than in pitlane.

wuzak
wuzak

ferkan wrote:

This gives us some numbers on the MGUH.

Being able to run the MGUK at full power for around 50s gives them ~6MJ. That means at least 4MJ extracted from the MGUH per lap.

If we use Barcelona as the gage, the lap time is ~80s. Which means the MGUH, on average over the lap, generates ~50kW.

hurril
hurril

wuzak wrote: This gives us some numbers on the MGUH.

Being able to run the MGUK at full power for around 50s gives them ~6MJ. That means at least 4MJ extracted from the MGUH per lap.

If we use Barcelona as the gage, the lap time is ~80s. Which means the MGUH, on average over the lap, generates ~50kW.
What percentage of that lap is taken with any considerable amount of "right foot?"

Pierce89

I'm not sure I buy any article claiming they're reducing boost by 2 bar.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

PlatinumZealot

5.5 bar of boost sound crazy too. That's near 80psi.. Hah. I believe the 3.5 Bar more. That's 50psi which seems in line woth the ICE output considering these engines have ridicously good flow and high compression.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

hurril wrote:

What percentage of that lap is taken with any considerable amount of "right foot?"
This year quite a bit more than last year. I suppose that means Ferrari has full 120kW electric power lap after lap with no need to conserve energy. Their engine may be better than the Mercedes power unit.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:
hurril wrote:

This year quite a bit more than last year. I suppose that means Ferrari has full 120kW electric power lap after lap with no need to conserve energy. Their engine may be better than the Mercedes power unit.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. They were miles off merc last year in ers department, especially in race conditions, so I'm not taking every article as gospel at the moment.

FrukostScones

article on the "dual anchor" injector

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

gruntguru
gruntguru

wuzak wrote:
ferkan wrote:

This gives us some numbers on the MGUH.

Let's take that one step further. You have assumed 2MJ of MGUK harvesting which will take a minimum of 16.66 seconds leaving less than 63 seconds for the MGUH to harvest 4 MJ - an average of 63 kW.
je suis charlie