Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ReoPTy
ReoPTy

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Taffin said Renault will use 5 tokens till end of this season ! and about 15- 16 kw with total, horner said the delta was 35Kw , so around 20kw left to find for 2017 brand new PU.

12 mounth and 50+15kw =65kw increase, i bet no other challenger are improving at this rate ! mercedes is improving thier 2013 design, renault with very new design could take the lead of new solutions for years to come!

Juzh

ME4ME wrote:
FW17 wrote:It may be with the MGU-K map

Merc uses the MGU-K to get a good exit out of the corners uses the battery, self sustain mode takes care for rest of the straight

Renault uses it to bridge the gap in the top speed so uses both battery and self sustain on the straight, not much left in the battery for the drive out of all corners
Do you have any data, article or quote to back that up at all?
He doesn't. None except perhaps some team members can confirm this. Likelihood of it being true? Slim.

FW17

Juzh wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
FW17 wrote:It may be with the MGU-K map

Merc uses the MGU-K to get a good exit out of the corners uses the battery, self sustain mode takes care for rest of the straight

Renault uses it to bridge the gap in the top speed so uses both battery and self sustain on the straight, not much left in the battery for the drive out of all corners
He doesn't. None except perhaps some team members can confirm this. Likelihood of it being true? Slim.
I have no data

Just trying to figure out how Merc has so much low end power out corners

Can be many things such as weight distribution, traction control, MGU-k usage, gear ratios etc but not totally down to ICE power which on the low end be less of differential than top end when compared to the Renault.

toraabe
toraabe

FW17 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
I have no data

Can be many things such as weight distribution, traction control, MGU-k usage, gear ratios etc but not totally down to ICE power which on the low end be less of differential than top end when compared to the Renault.
When it comes to low end power, this depends much on the pre spin of the turbo, usage of MGU-K and the combustion itself. With this years tyres they are only able to use perhaps 50% of the power out of the corners

Muulka
Muulka

Gone
Last edited by Muulka on 23 Sep 2016, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

carisi2k

TzeiTzei wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
lio007 wrote:To make things easy they use tokens (because they have fair enough left :wink: ):

http://en.f1i.com/news/70704-no-revolut ... mance.html
Watching how easy it was for Hamilton to pass Daniel on the front straight before Daniel braked late and then complete the pass at the start of curve grande while on the hard tyre suggests that the Renault is still significantly down on power. Not quite as bad as 2015 but still Renault have got a long way to go to reach Mercedes for performance.
On the front straight Hamilton had DRS, didn't he? The pass at Curva Grande though, no doubt about pure power advantage.
Daniel had DRS on the front straight against Bottas and was now where near the Williams. It took some amazing braking and some manners from Bottas to get his pass done. Whereas Lewis was right on Daniel right from the get go and had actually passed Daniel fully until again Daniel was brilliant on the brakes.

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

With Mercedes 2017 improvements included , Renault think thier PU should be less than 15 hp down on pic powah for 2017 race one !

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... 26437/?s=1

Dyno's are runing full throttles these days 8)

Muulka
Muulka

Gone
Last edited by Muulka on 23 Sep 2016, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

gruntguru
gruntguru

FW17 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
I have no data

There is nothing to stop them exiting corners at 10,500 rpm or more. Provided the boost has been maintained by the MGUH there is no reason any of the teams would have less than full power available at corner exit. If one team has superior acceleration it is more likely to be due to superior grip.
je suis charlie

lio007

Muulka wrote:
ReoPTy wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... 26437/?s=1

My understanding (from speaking to people who talk to people in Viry) is that they still haven't progressed past the single cylinder for next year.
Really? Do you have any additional information?
But on the other hand there is still a couple of months time.

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

Muulka wrote:
ReoPTy wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... 26437/?s=1

My understanding (from speaking to people who talk to people in Viry) is that they still haven't progressed past the single cylinder for next year.

"We know exactly what we have on the bench for 2017 because the V6 is already on the bench and I think it is encouraging."

fred vasseur

Muulka
Muulka

Gone
Last edited by Muulka on 23 Sep 2016, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

lio007

VES got a bit lucky with the upgraded Renault-PU. It's his 4th and has already the 3-Token-Update.
RIC, PAL and MAG have to use their 5th PU (in Malaysia) to get the Token-Update. RIC only got a new PU in the last race in Monza.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ult-engine

edit: it seems there is no need for a new PU-component. The update may be on external parts. Tomorrow we will see what's going on.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... 27250/?s=1

Muulka
Muulka

Gone
Last edited by Muulka on 23 Sep 2016, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.