F1 lubrication

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ginsu
ginsu

Has anybody here had any experience with Moly-DiSulfide as an additive to reduce friction in an engine? I just got this stuff (it's imported from Germany) and my car revs sooo much smoother it is really noticeable.

Supposedly it bonds to the metal and acts just like graphite with the sheets sliding on each other. I've only been able to find limited information of it's use as a lubricant in automotive engines, but supposedly it's used in aircraft engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

If anybody else has used it, let me know, I don't know anybody else running this stuff, and I would, at least, compare the difference to 'synthetic vs. conventional' motor oil. It really made a huge difference, my engine sounds so much smoother, and when I run at high revs for long periods it doesnt produce the same smell, making me think the engine is running cooler.

I would imagine they are running stuff like this in F1!
I love to love Senna.

Carlos
Carlos

Yes...my brothers and I used it for decades, cars, motorcycles and race motors, it came in 2 forms a powder we had to special order and packaged in a product called Molyslip. It was a 12oz plastic bottle then. It really gave peace of mind when reassembling an engine. We also used it as a general oil additive for the street. It's still available, pretty much worldwide I would think. I'm in Canada, not sure where you live so included several links. Do you remember Motor Honey :wink:

http://www.ctidirectory.com/Search/comp ... mpany=9480
http://www.molyslip.com/Products/MolySlipE.html
http://www.molyslip.co.uk/about/

ginsu
ginsu

The stuff I got is called 'LubroMoly' and they spec it for alot of German Imports, BMW, Benz, etc.

From what I've read the problem with moly used to be that it would sludge up after awhile, but they say that the new stuff is 'nanoparticles' and is held in suspension in the oil and survives long oil change intervals.

I guess I will see, I was a bit nervous, but all these new products come out and I want to see how they improve performance.

I've read the EPA paper on a similar oil called PetroMoly, and they say
Use of PetroMoly® demonstrated the following when compared directly to the stock configuration test.

1) There was a two percent improvement in fuel economy on the city drive test.

2) There was a three percent improvement in highway fuel economy.

After removing the PetroMoly® and replacing it with the recommended commercial weight oil the vehicles were returned to stock configuration tests and showed:

There was a three percent improvement in highway fuel economy relative to the original tests with commercial engine oil.

There was a one percent improvement in city fuel economy compared to the first stock configuration test series.

The exhaust emissions were two, four and one percent lower for HC, NOx and CO respectively when comparing the second stock configuration series with the first.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/devices/r99001.pdf

They also advertise it has having 'limp home' properties, which, I'm assuming is if you run out of oil the moly layer can hold up under extreme pressure. They absolutely must be using this stuff in F1. It'd be really easy to tell because the oil is silver-black looking when brand new (the color of moly).
I love to love Senna.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I wonder how well it would work on american engines, such as a V8?

It sound like a very good product in terms of performance, value, and reliability. And it definately peaks my interests. Although I am very cautious about adding anything to my engine, as it is a pretty expensive "part" and I don't need any problems with it at the time being!

But it sounds as if it has proved worthy from what both of you have commented. Would you two recommend it :?:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ginsu
ginsu

Personally, I don't have any problems recommending it, but I have not had any long term results with the product. I put it in about two months ago, but I don't drive that much only about 100miles a week.

I would probably be more cautious with turbocharged motors, but they do clearly state that it works well with turbos, so I guess you could sue them if it causes problems :)
I love to love Senna.

riff_raff
riff_raff

ginsu,

MoS is what is commonly referred to as a "Dry Film Lubricant" (DFL). It is usually sprayed on to a surface and either baked or air dried. It is also combined with various other elements such as teflon or ceramic binders to improve its performance.

DFL's are used where oils or greases are not practical, usually due to temperature or contamination issues. They are widely used as a lubricant in spacecraft applications: http://www.tiodize.com/dryfilmlubricants.html

As for engine applications, sometimes MoS DFL is applied to piston skirts as an extra measure of safety to prevent scuffing at engine start-up. In general though, engine components mostly operate in an environment well supplied with oil, so the DFL is not necessary. The friction losses in a MoS lubricated interface are substantially higher the the friction losses in an engine oil lubricated interface operating in boundary conditions. So there is no benefit to using a MoS DFL unless you expect a condition where no oil will be present.

As an oil additive, it is not soluble, and thus would likely precipitate out of suspension and settle to the bottom of the sump. If you think you really need an Extreme Pressure (EP) additive to your oil (not likely for an engine), there are much better compounds, such as phosphorus-containing organics and zinc dialkyldithiophosphate.

Hope that helps.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"