KERS CONTROL UNIT

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
DarkSnape

KERS CONTROL UNIT

Last edited by DarkSnape on 29 Jan 2009, 19:34, edited 4 times in total.

Saribro
Saribro

Re: BMW KERS CONTROL UNIT

Doesn't look any different to me than the usual electronics, that are usually in that place too. I vote inconclusive.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: KERS CONTROL UNIT

BMW have said the control unit is in the right hand sidepod though...

Saribro
Saribro

It's still looks just like the rest of 'em though, knowing that it's the KERS control unit is a big "meh" to me.

scarbs
scarbs

That’s not the PCU, they’re too small and the wiring too thin. I am guessing the data acquisition units for the cars initial testing.
I saw the Toyota KERS hardware laid out on a bench at Portimao. The Power Control unit (PCU) is much larger box, about 30cm x 20cm x 10cm. While the Motor Generator (MGU) is only about 15 long and probably slightly less in diameter. It was the battery that I found curious, it was an unusual shape, moulded into a arc, like a flat bottomed orange segment. This must be to make it fit between the rad ducting and monocoque. I saw the water cooling pipes for the MGU but not the electrical cables which need to run ten of amps at high DC voltage, I am told these are quite serious bits of cable.

xpensive
xpensive

Does anyone know in which way the 400kJ will be controlled by the FIA, in-to or out-off, the MGU or the battery?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

scarbs
scarbs

From what I’ve learned from the teams; the MGU\PCU\battery will all be directly connected. The SECU will control the PCU via its usual CAN interface. The FIA will use the SECU to check that KERS has been instigated for the maximum time and has stored the maximum energy each lap, then a FIA torque sensor will detect the power re-transmitted through the drive train.

xpensive
xpensive

See if I can popularize tis correctly scarbs,
The FIA will monitor BOTH the electrical energy going from the MGU to the battery during breaking, as well as the mechanical energy leaving the MGU during accelleration?

scarbs
scarbs

exactly, as the rules demand both a maximum amount of energy stored as well as a maximum discharged

ISLAMATRON

outstanding bits of information scarbs, thank you, we as fans should be able to get more info like this, but sadly(but understandably) the teams are not putting it out there for everyone to see.

xpensive
xpensive

Thank's scarbs! Now as for the practical use of KERS, do you figure that teams will arrange things as charging is triggered by pressing the brake-pedal and discharge by a push-thing on the steering-wheel? Or will it be a little more sophisticated than that?

ISLAMATRON

I would assume that charging would occur when engine load falls below a certain amount like say 30%.

scarbs
scarbs

xpensive wrote:Thank's scarbs! Now as for the practical use of KERS, do you figure that teams will arrange things as charging is triggered by pressing the brake-pedal and discharge by a push-thing on the steering-wheel? Or will it be a little more sophisticated than that?
Thats right, the rules wont allow anythign else.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Can it be possible under current rules to use KERS to control braking or/and traction?

scarbs
scarbs

modbaraban wrote:Can it be possible under current rules to use KERS to control braking or/and traction?
Nope, I checked with the tech directors and as the system is controlled by the secu any funny business under braking or accelleration is strictly forbidden.