FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Scotracer
Scotracer

FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

The Formula One Teams' Association is pushing for the sport to abandon KERS entirely next year, after agreeing that the technology should be dropped as it is now too expensive.

Following a limited take-up of the energy recovery device for 2009, members of the teams' organisation have voted in favour of abandoning it entirely next year on money grounds.

While the move has not been universally welcomed, with BMW Sauber in particular once again keen for it to be retained, the majority decision by FOTA means that the move has now been put into action.

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen said: "We have voted in favour of KERS but, as with all the other FOTA decisions so far, we will go with the majority."

Although KERS is currently allowed in the 2010 technical regulations, there is nothing forcing teams to run it. At the Turkish Grand Prix, only McLaren and Ferrari competed with the device.

Even if the FIA refuses to change the regulations to outlaw it, FOTA agreement would be enough for the technology not to be used.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said that even though his team had invested a lot of time and effort in developing KERS it was for the greater good that the decision had been made to abandon it.

When asked on Sunday night if it was true the teams were pushing for it to be dropped, Domenicali said: "Yes. In terms of the discussion we had within FOTA, we are talking about cost saving for the new teams as well.

"We are the only one together with McLaren who are using it. We invested a lot and we always said that it is difficult for the supporters to understand why there are some cars with KERS and some cars without KERS, so if you have a total logical approach, if we are all together fine then it is better not to have it."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75945

Not surprising really. It's a waste of development money for no performance enhancement.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

FGD
FGD

Re: FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

What a waste. All the changes for 2009 have actually produced a series which is less competitive (though it's nice to see a new teaming winning).

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Common sense in this ecomomic climate has prevailed. Should free up a lot of budget for all teams.

What they should do is have a voluntary code that they have to sign up to to ban it from now on!!!

WhiteBlue

It will be interesting to see if Williams will go back to FOTA and agree with the decision. Dropping Kers after spending all the money for developing it makes little sense.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

wow common sense prevails in F1
remind me to buy a loto ticket

modbaraban
modbaraban

The KERsystem was nothing more than an environmental statement. A pricy one. Now that the made their point, it's dropped. KERS wasn't saving fuel anyways.

flynfrog

modbaraban wrote:The KERsystem was nothing more than an environmental statement. A pricy one. Now that the made their point, it's dropped. KERS wasn't saving fuel anyways.
gasp

Scania
Scania

Oh, that is their high technology racing?
maybe they will drop Fuel injection system next time?
However, the KERS rule is suck now.
they can't limited the power driver can relase per lap, but limite the battery size, how much energy it can store!

FGD
FGD

modbaraban wrote:The KERsystem was nothing more than an environmental statement. A pricy one. Now that the made their point, it's dropped. KERS wasn't saving fuel anyways.
Isn't there a team in the American Le Mans Series trying out a different version of KERS?

I don't think it's such a bad idea to develop hybrid technology in racing but F1 is not the right platform in my opinion.

flynfrog

There is a team that is running one it has yet to work in racing environment.

I dont think its a terrible idea in it's self but id rather see it stand on its own with more open engine rules none of this revlimiter multi race engine crap.

WhiteBlue

Scania wrote:Oh, that is their high technology racing?
Brilliant !!! Or drop crash tests to save a buck here and there.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:
Scania wrote:Oh, that is their high technology racing?
Brilliant !!! Or drop crash tests to save a buck here and there.
yes because KERS made the cars safer

FGD
FGD

flynfrog wrote:There is a team that is running one it has yet to work in racing environment.

I dont think its a terrible idea in it's self but id rather see it stand on its own with more open engine rules none of this revlimiter multi race engine crap.
I would prefer that F1 would be, with an exception to driver safety, essentially unlimited and exotic.

flynfrog

FGD wrote:
flynfrog wrote:There is a team that is running one it has yet to work in racing environment.

I would prefer that F1 would be, with an exception to driver safety, essentially unlimited and exotic.
I agree along with the engine. set a misplacement and let the teams do as they with

FGD
FGD

I looked it up and found the Ginetta-Zytec Hybrid was driven to 13th place a few weeks ago at Miller Motorsport Part. That's dead last for it's class. Interestingly, the car was driven by Stefan Johanssen.