Composite Fuel Tanks

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Ciro Pabón

Re: Composite Fuel Tanks

It's a 120 liters fuel cell, made of aramid or kevlar with a dry safety disconnection system.

They are asking for tenders for a new cell. I saw something among the Car of The Future proposals they're asking for developing the car in time for 2013 and they mentioned specifically they allowed aramid and asked for filler foam. Don't know if the foam is used today (they should if they don't).

I wonder if the fuel tank is behind the axle (or something very strange happened during that crash). I know some American cars used to have this layout, The Ford Pinto did that until 1980, that I know. Some GM trucks had the same problem until the end of the 80's. I don't know if people here remember the lawsuit against Ford because of that, but I'm sure there was one.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wUvMKUlFLo
Ciro

alelanza
alelanza

Thanks for the good info Ciro. And yes the tank sits behind the rear axle in the aussie cars, that should be changed with the car of the future, or so i've heard. Also the car i drive has it in the back, but at least it's the second version where they finally thought of reinforcing it, which is good being it's an offroad truck.
Back to the aussie crash, the commenters said the crash probably happened at around 80 mph. While i haven't read much on the drivers' health, I'm impressed that both were able to escape after a crash of that magnitude.
Alejandro L.

Psyclone
Psyclone

Just to add a little bit of more information, the v8's use a smaller fuel tank for 'sprint races', 75 litres. The regulations can be found here on page 46. The rules state that foam must be used between the bladder and the outside of the tank and IIRC they are made by ATL. Also, another video of a rear end accident that occurred last year, damage seems very similar but no fire!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QTPXF31Z5Q[/youtube]

A lot of large cars is OZ have had and still have the fuel tank behind the rear wheels with very few to non-existent fires from rear end impacts. Probably why the regulations haven't changed.

And as this is only my second post I hope all the tags have worked! if no i apologise in advance!
tl:dr