F1 Engine Ignition

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Pachoba
Pachoba

F1 Engine Ignition

I´m new here. I like this page.
I want ask on formula one ignition system detailed information aplied on actual 2.4 litre V8.

1.) What the generate electric energy for spark plug?
capacitor (capacitance ignition) or coil (inductive ignition)

2.) What is the source of energy?
car battery or electricity is generated when the engine is spinning or piezoelectric power supply

3.) What is the structure?
transistor or thyristor

4.) Will some changes since 2013 in ignition(controvert)?

I hope you help me.
Please excuse my bad english.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: F1 Engine Ignition

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

This is a great first post : unfortunately, I can't answer, but I will be keeping an eye on the thread as I'd quite like to know!

Any thoughts guys?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Shrek
Shrek

I only know number 2 for certain

battery but it's very small and lightweight about 2 pounds because it doesn't have to start up the engine, i remember Steve Matchett on U.S. broadcast talking about it at least 4 or 5 years ago.
Spencer

WhiteBlue

Pachoba wrote:I´m new here. I like this page.
I want ask on formula one ignition system detailed information aplied on actual 2.4 litre V8.

There will almost certainly be changes in the next few years until the new formula is introduced presumably in 2013. Next year F1 cars will have a generator and big batteries again as all teams will most certainly revert to using the 2009 spec KERS systems.

There is also a pretty good chance that rules on generators may change in the next years in the run up to the formula change. KERS systems are likely to have more stored energy, more power, potentially start harvesting from the front wheels and therefore see different rules on electric generation.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ISLAMATRON

Cool, finally something new to talk about in the engine section...

1) pretty sure I saw coil on plug ignition on most the engines...

2) yes the cars have batteries, but they also have alternators which provide a majority of the onboard electrical power

3)got me, might want to search for more info on the McLaren SECU for an answer to that

4) hope so, they are talking about more Kers so maybe teams might run the ignition systms off that energy rather than an alternator... we shall see...but we have to wait until 2013 until this section of F1T ever comes back to life

Richard
Richard

The SECU specification can be downloaded from the FIA website :arrow: http://argent.fia.com/web/appeloffre.ns ... penelement

autogyro
autogyro

F1 ignition is much the same as the 1908 Alldays and Onions system I was looking at yesterday. That has no self starting system either and a small battery.
At least the Alldays has a bracket to fit a magneto as an option.

WhiteBlue

Hi AG, did that Onion have digital engine mapping? :wink: Or did they employ a footman who sat in an engine room and changed a bunch of pots to adjust things? 8) :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Carlos
Carlos

White Blue - They might use a hand lever like this:
http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/tb93.htm
Very popular method the last 100 years and much in vogue today :)
I wonder if this is the ignition retarding method hinted at in the Red Bull thread?

autogyro
autogyro

WhiteBlue wrote:Hi AG, did that Onion have digital engine mapping? :wink: Or did they employ a footman who sat in an engine room and changed a bunch of pots to adjust things? 8) :lol:
There computer system lived in the motor house and had a brain.
Bet you could not start an F1 car just by moving the advance retard lever.

Pachoba
Pachoba

I search as detective, because these information are secret.

Here i find some specifications about IndyCar and F1 engines:

Code: Select all

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47399
In the past i find that, 3L V10 have CDI ignition(i think). After I think may F1 have CDI ignition. It is possible?
I do not know whether the charged capacitor for short time, because the engine have 158 burns per second. (19 000rev./60sec./2=158,33)

And:
I find on motorcycle forum that: engine with battery have transistor ignition(mostly).

AFTER SUMMARY:

1.) What the generate electric energy for spark plug?
capacitor (capacitance ignition - CDI)

2.) What is the source of energy?
car battery with alternator/dynamo

3.) What is the structure?
transistor

???(we can polemic)

What do you say? It may be ok?

Edis
Edis

In F1 the electrical power is supplied by a permanent magnet alternator much like is done on modern motorcycle. Unlike a modern conventional alternator, it is not dependant on the battery to supply power. Since it uses permenent magnets the output voltage also can't be controlled by the field strength of the rotor, so it is connected to an electronic voltage regulator.

I would suspect F1 engines use capacitive discharge ignition systems. The spark plugs are of the surface gap type.

Some specifications can be found on:
http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/
TAG310B is the basis of SECU

You can also check out their application notes about ignition systems
http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/mes_p ... ct_Ign.pdf

Of course, anyone who knows something about ignition systems would never claim that current systems "is the same as the 1908 Alldays and Onions system". The transistors and capacitors required to make the current systems became availible around the 1980'ties.