85mm gearbox gear center rule

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
autogyro

85mm gearbox gear center rule

I am more concerned with the rule that demands 85mm minimum between gearbox gear centers. This presumes the use of a 19th century layshaft gearbox and completely stops any modern transmission development from a basic definition.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 24 Aug 2010, 08:47, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Split from the crankshaft centerline thread because I didn't want to delete these posts.

Just_a_fan

Re: Standard crankshaft centerline height

autogyro wrote:I am more concerned with the rule that demands 85mm minimum between gearbox gear centers. This presumes the use of a 19th century layshaft gearbox and completely stops any modern transmission development from a basic definition.
The rules are full of such instances that effectively prevent development. Live with it. Or get the FIA to change the rules.

Your continued "gearboxes are crap; they should use my design" subtexts are getting boring. No, scrub that, they are boring.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

autogyro

So is the stagnant level of development we are all living in today.
Most things are simply variations on a very old and worn out theme.
I should care if you are bored, read something else.

Just_a_fan

I wouldn't need to read it if you didn't post it!

Sure, lots of designs are old. You know why? Because quite often the adage of "if it isn't broken, don't fix" applies. Sure, things can be done better but why continually try to reinvent the wheel when the one we have does the job well enough in most cases?

There are other avenues to investigate - gearboxes of any sort in cars are probably living on borrowed time anyway. In-wheel electric motors don't necessarily need them, for example.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

autogyro

Just_a_fan wrote:I wouldn't need to read it if you didn't post it!

Sure, lots of designs are old. You know why? Because quite often the adage of "if it isn't broken, don't fix" applies. Sure, things can be done better but why continually try to reinvent the wheel when the one we have does the job well enough in most cases?

There are other avenues to investigate - gearboxes of any sort in cars are probably living on borrowed time anyway. In-wheel electric motors don't necessarily need them, for example.
In wheel electric motors dont need gearboxes?
Hmmm where to start? Unsprung weight perhaps,(wheel motors), or perhaps the fact that the early EVs now going into production were originaly designed to have multi ratio gearboxes but those building them could not get the gearbox to last past 2000 miles.
A very long way to go development wise.
'If it aint broken dont fix it', is the lazy short sighted attitude of many comfortable wimpy people today. It is also now very expensive to change direction in production, because of automation and scale. We are sadly missing the hand made small scale development companies where most new ideas originated.
I have far more right to be bored to death by the modern attitude to progress.
No risk no incentive and little common sense. Bland shapes and bland colours.

F1 has to shake itself up and somehow find the budgets and drive to open up technology instead of leeching off it. Time is getting very short.

mep

autogyro can you say anything about your gearbox?

autogyro

mep wrote:autogyro can you say anything about your gearbox?
I have a .pdf of the patent application
Lets stay on topic though pm me.