2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Brian Coat
Brian Coat

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formulae

When I was a kid they taught us an idealised Otto efficiency expressed as a function of CR.

This series is touted as racing which improves Efficiency, Eco, Green etc.

There will be reasons of course; but isn't capping CR a bit counter-logical and innovation-stifling?

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Could it be a miller/adkinson cycle?

Variable valve timing is not allowed, but the engines have a limited powerband, so closing the intake valves on a fixed delay of a few degree after BDC could work i guess. Practicly lowering the compression ration, but keeping a larger, more efficient expension ratio.

The hybrid turbocharger would replace Millers supercharger and the MGU-K can also assist for lost power at low rpm, if that is even needed in a racing car.

I think they have to put a limit on the compression ratio anyway, to prevent insane combustion peak pressures and expensive enginering to make it last for 1/3 of a season.

henry

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formulae

Brian Coat wrote:When I was a kid they taught us an idealised Otto efficiency expressed as a function of CR.

This series is touted as racing which improves Efficiency, Eco, Green etc.

There will be reasons of course; but isn't capping CR a bit counter-logical and innovation-stifling?
There are a number of other new caps in the 2017 regs.

Component weights, piston, con rod, crankshaft... MGU-K, MGU-H,

And For 2018 the size and weight of the ERS components will have a size and weight defined to be greater than the the best of 2017.

I've also read that boost pressure is to be capped for 2017 although I can't see it in the regs

Just for completeness they are also restricting the number of fuel formulations. 5 for the season and at most 2 at a race.

Innovation in the PU seems to be seen as a bar to entertainment.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

There is also a change to intake air temperature for 2018
5.6.8 Engine plenum (as defined in line 4 of Appendix 2 to these regulations) air temperature must be more than ten degrees centigrade above ambient temperature. When assessing compliance, the temperature of the air will be the lap average recorded, by an FIA approved and sealed sensor located in an FIA approved location situated in the engine plenum, during every lap of the race. The first lap of the race, laps carried out whilst the safety car is deployed, pit in and out laps and any laps that are obvious anomalies (as judged by the technical delegate) will not be used to assess the average temperature. The ambient temperature will be that recorded by the FIA appointed weather service provider one hour before any practice session or two hours before the race. This information will also be displayed on the timing monitors.
I thought hot air was what was needed for these lean charge ICEs? This seems to indicate that cold air is being used and they want it stopped.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

NL_Fer wrote:Could it be a miller/adkinson cycle?
Variable valve timing is not allowed, but the engines have a limited powerband, so closing the intake valves on a fixed delay of a few degree after BDC could work i guess. Practicly lowering the compression ration, but keeping a larger, more efficient expension ratio.
The hybrid turbocharger would replace Millers supercharger and the MGU-K can also assist for lost power at low rpm,......
are/aren't they already using such ?? (to some extent)

I have assumed in the past that the rules intentionally preclude all more-expansion-in-cylinder type cycles
but they don't (only the crankshaft-related ones)

it sounds good, but ......
there could be problems realising a very small combustion chamber volume without inhibiting valve motion/size wrt piston clearance etc

in every engine design the charge is in principle (relative to the CR/ER) is in some way limited
eg as shown by the few supercompression N/A aircraft engines c.1917-1935 and the legions with manual boost control
where operator throttling was necessary at low altitudes even for full power
but (here) surely any limiting of the charge is done better by designing to lessen boost, rather than limiting the inlet valve opening duration ?
as this would tend to increase recovery
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 03 May 2016, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Edis
Edis

henry wrote:Just scanned through the 2017 technical regulations published today. A new item is:
5.3.6 No cylinder of the engine may have a geometric compression ratio higher than 18.0.
This would suggest that compression ratios are heading towards this figure if not there already. Does this seem likely?
If they mandate a maximum compression ratio of 18:1, I would expect that all current engines are below this limit.

I don't think this kind of compression ratio is unreasonable. I know some highly boosted Le Mans engines are running with compression ratios above 14:1 with direct injection. Using jet ignition (and probably a homogeneous lean mixture around lambda 2) and perhaps the Miller/Atkinson cycle I don't think figures close to 18:1 are unreasonable.
NL_Fer wrote:Could it be a miller/adkinson cycle?

The hybrid turbocharger would replace Millers supercharger and the MGU-K can also assist for lost power at low rpm, if that is even needed in a racing car.

I think they have to put a limit on the compression ratio anyway, to prevent insane combustion peak pressures and expensive enginering to make it last for 1/3 of a season.
The Miller/Atkinson cycle using late or early intake valve closure would certainly be interresting for F1
Okamoto et al. concluded that a boosted engine with a geometric expansion ratio of 15.8 which uses LIVC to
achieve an effective compression ratio of 10.3 can improve WOT indicated thermal efficiency by 11.75% over an Otto cycle engine with a geometric compression ratio of 10.3.

ringo

Variable valve timing is not permitted though.
For Sure!!

erikejw
erikejw

Is it allowed to use different fuel formulas in qualy race?

Are fuel formulas perfected for different track characteristics?

Which are the different 1% addons used and what is their use?

gruntguru
gruntguru

The rule is not related to safety/peak cyl pressures. It is possible to produce insane peak cylinder pressures with far less than 18:1.
je suis charlie

hurril
hurril

What is the point of having a maximum compression ratio?

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

I'm guessing it's an attempt to curtail costs?

henry

Or engineer convergence. There is a stated goal of the regs to bring the PUs closer together. If you restrict an avenue of development you restrict opportunities to be different, better or worse.

FW17

Are air assisted fuel injectors allowed in current rules?

If it is, it could be quiet useful with the pre-chamber jet ignition.

djos

FW17 wrote:Are air assisted fuel injectors allowed in current rules?

How would that work with fuel at 400 bar?
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

djos wrote:
FW17 wrote:Are air assisted fuel injectors allowed in current rules?

How would that work with fuel at 400 bar?
Does it always have to be that high?