Honda exceed 960hp

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bernard

Honda exceed 960hp

Honda's Takeo Kiuchi(?) claimed their "suzuka special" is the most powerful engine on the track, giving out more than 960hp.
Do you reckon this is for real, or just another marketing trick on the toes of their homerace?
I don't doubt that 960 could be reached, it's just the manufacturer that makes me suspicious. You would think the manufacturer capable of reaching the biggest hp would be BMW or ferrari.
Is this gain done based on the same policy as mclaren is running their cars; performance first, screw reliability? Some rather risky engine tuning on honda's behalf, perhaps, considering their history of reliability issues this season? :-k

doc
doc

Be sure that BMW and Ferrari have the same power; according to the italian media BMW stated in monza 950 bhp for their unit, Schumacher commentated this news saying that his Monza spec was even more powerful. So i believe Honda and Ferrari have the same power (960 horses), just a few ones more than the bavarians, admitting no marketing policy from Honda...
The news about their power comes from Autosport, kiuchi has even said that next year Honda engine might pass the 1000 hp barrier and he thinks his engine will be the number one. My deduction about this last affirmation is that this season they are not the best on the engine side, at the best they are as good as Ferrari. So i don't know why Autosport states the japanese engine is the most powerful...
However, while ferrari and BMW will have no reliability issues, i expect a big boom from Sato :lol:

red300zx99x
red300zx99x

Hmmmmmm, 960 HP..............in the wet, im down

GuestAgain
GuestAgain

Bernard wrote:
I don't doubt that 960 could be reached, it's just the manufacturer that makes me suspicious. You would think the manufacturer capable of reaching the biggest hp would be BMW or ferrari.
If any manufacturer is capable of reaching 960bhp (or 1000bhp) I would say honda is. Innovation wise, I would even put Honda ahead of both BMW and Ferrari. Of course, that does not necessarilly put them at the front of the grid.

Irvingthien

Source??
Its rare that team personnel would reveal the detail of their engines.....I am a little suspicious about this claim. Anyway, good job by the team though, they've certainly exceeded all expectations.

bernard

Irvingthien wrote:Source??
Its rare that team personnel would reveal the detail of their engines.....I am a little suspicious about this claim. Anyway, good job by the team though, they've certainly exceeded all expectations.
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=65569

Monstrobolaxa

Well I agree Irvingthien teams usually don't give in advance their engine numbers...sometimes they do it because they're experiencing some design/testing problems and use it as a bluff so that other manufacturers will get a little scarred and do their work faster and not caring for reliability...just going after the extra hp!...sometimes it works...

Is Honda known for providing incorrect misleading information? They have a history of producing some of the best engines in F1..why not now?

:)

Monstrobolaxa

Well that is true....but usually engine/car manufacturers don't like to give any info about their engines/cars....only last year BMW gave their correct bore stroke mesurements for the 2001 engine...so only 2 years later they felt that the info wasn't usable by others.

In hondas case knowing they might have a 1000bp engine isn't that important....and to tell you the truth I don't really see what the fuss is....BMW and Ferrari probably will also reach that mark next year, but you don't see them telling everyone.

In 2002 when BMW passed 19000rpms you didn't see them brag about it....it wasn't important.

Aradea

well... maybe it is on their home track that he tells us this sort of thing. Honda always has some special engine on Suzuka & have going on for a few years now & is known for it's extra horsepower... that's why they call it the Suzuka Special. So I don't think he lied... Honda does has one of the most powerful engine on the grid & from what I read somewhere about Honda won't quit F1 until at least has one World Champ title on its hands. That is the comittment that Honda shows to this sport...

So, If he is saying that Honda has the most powerful engine on the track, I would probably believe him. But since it's raining heavily at Suzuka, maybe we can only see it in action at Interlagos :D

I Also believe there's only two teams that will seriously can challange Ferrari next year, McLaren & BAR Honda.. U'll see.. next year will be tight
:lol:

Steven
Owner

Aradea wrote:I Also believe there's only two teams that will seriously can challange Ferrari next year, McLaren & BAR Honda.. U'll see.. next year will be tight :lol:
Hehe now that sounds quite familiar doesn't it :D

Anyway, we're still in season 2004, and I would like to suggest to Honda to turn their engine down a little, so to prevent any blowups. They won't havem uch of an advantage anyway with a super engine in the wet :D

doc
doc

In dry conditions, i don't think Honda engine alone was going to win the race...they have achieved the same power that Ferrari had at Monza, they have added 8 bhp to shanghai spec and who won there?
Everybody knows Ferrari doesn't like speking about engine numbers, while BMW in the past years and Honda now are very busy with press releases about their superengines.
Toyota, just like Ferrari, doesn't speak a lot; can we say they haven't a superengine too only for this reason? I don't think so; its just a different policy of the manufacters. Ask dr Theissen who has the most powerful engine; will he say Ferrari, Honda? Obviously no, so let's see the results on the track...who had pole and victory at Monza?
I agree Tomba when he suggests to honda to fix reliability issues; during the current season they have had a big fight with Mercedes to win the championship of the blowups.

IMO :)

Monstrobolaxa

doc wrote:In dry conditions, i don't think Honda engine alone was going to win the race...
Well F1 Racing magazine is speculating that Honda might have more power then the Ferrari engine....though I really don't agree with them! To me Honda is 3rd on the power scale!

doc
doc

Monstrobolaxa wrote:
doc wrote:In dry conditions, i don't think Honda engine alone was going to win the race...
Well F1 Racing magazine is speculating that Honda might have more power then the Ferrari engine....though I really don't agree with them! To me Honda is 3rd on the power scale!
IMHO F1 Racing is wrong, for example look at the article from Autosport quoted by F1racing.net. The UK magazine affirms Honda RAE is the most powerful, but then why does kiuchi say "the next season Honda will be the number one" and doesn't he add "again"? My answer is that he doesn't think to have the best engine this year. IMHO it's only Autosport's supposition.
However it's relatively important, Honda is fighting for the second place while Ferrari and BMW are fully concentrated on 2005 project for some time, therefore they have been able to arrive at the power level of Ferrari, with the big difference that they aren't so sure to have solved the reliability problems (one of Suzuka specs blew off on Davidson's car at the recent jerez test) and they have been lucky with the weather at Suzuka, the engines will have much less mileage... i have no doubt that in the same conditions, with all these three manufacturers fighting for the championship, Ferrari and also BMW would have had no problem to put on the ground those few bhp to remain ahead of Honda.
Then does Kiuchi know what Italians and Germans are doing for 2005, if they are developing engines well over the 1000 barrier?
Nothing against the Japanese team, but i see a bit of arrogance in their words...
Unfortunately for them, Monza's results have been too clear...

Monstrobolaxa

doc wrote: Then does Kiuchi know what Italians and Germans are doing for 2005, if they are developing engines well over the 1000 barrier?
Nothing against the Japanese team, but i see a bit of arrogance in their words...
Well your not the only one with that opinion I've also posted previously something close to what you said!