Alternative engine design - split-cycle rotary four-stroke

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
roksraka

Alternative engine design - split-cycle rotary four-stroke

This is my approach to alternative combustion engine designs. This is the first split-cycle rotary engine that I have seen out there. It is essentially a four-stroke, but with two chambers per cylinder.

Advantages:
rotary design means more energy efficientcy (regular four or two stroke loses energy when it has to move the piston up and down rapidly - here the piston is revolving evenly)
less vibration (the piston my look offset, but you could make holes in it, so the weight would be even on both sides of the piston - also many pistons would cancel out each other’s vibrations)

The fact that the engine is split-cycle means an even number of cylinders (2, 4, 6, 8 etc.). But since two cylinders in one “pair” are only 1/8 of the cycle away from each other, the two, four or six-cylinder designs may not be possible or may require a flywheel. With 8 cylinders this problem is no longer present, as there is always a piston in every position in the cycle at any given time.

When it comes to number of moving parts both engines (traditional four-stroke and split-cycle rotary) are very similar. A very unique engine part in this design is the “spliter” (pic. 9 and 10). Many designs are possible, but it must always maintain a reliable seal between the chambers (by moving up and down, of course!)

The cycle (see pictures):

1) in the top right we can see the moment of ignition. The compressed fuel-air mixture came from one of the other pistons, due to the split-cycle combustion method (through the opening C - A,B,D are closed). The mixture burns between the piston and the “spliter”, which splits the chamber around the piston into two parts (see pictures 9 and 10). While combustion is taking place in one part of the chamber, the air-fuel mixture is starting to be compressed in the other.

2-3) The pressurized gases continue to push the piston around and compress the air-ful mixture used for combustion in one of the other cylinders. All openings are closed.

4) We can see the pressurized air-ful mixture being forced through D which connects to one of the other pistons (opening C in that other piston). That’s where the compressed mixture from picture 1 comes from. The engine does require some sort of a valve system, which opens and closes the openings and canals.

5-8) Fresh fuel-air mixture is being pumped into the engine through A. The pistons continues to revolve as it pushes the exhaust gases out through B.

If you have any questions or might want to add something, please comment :D and excuse my not so perfect english and the poor pictures...still in the early stages of development
:)

Caito

Re: Alternative engine design - split-cycle rotary four-stro

If I understood correctly, you invented the Wankel rotary engine.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

riff_raff

"excuse my not so perfect english and the poor pictures"

roksraka,

Your English and pictures are fine. But your grasp of recip piston engine design, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, tribology, kinematics, and combustion theory are all questionable.

Different is not necessarily better.

riff_raff
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

roksraka

Caito wrote:If I understood correctly, you invented the Wankel rotary engine.
wankel rotary is a radically different design - triangular piston, 3 chambers etc.
riff_raff wrote:"excuse my not so perfect english and the poor pictures"

roksraka,

Your English and pictures are fine. But your grasp of recip piston engine design, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, tribology, kinematics, and combustion theory are all questionable.

Different is not necessarily better.

riff_raff
as i said, it is in the early stages of development :) basically i just a demonstration of a possible combustion cycle, not an actual motor - still a long way to go. i don't have proper education to go into such details. i'm not doing this to make a better engine, but just to make a new engine, mess around and train my imagination :D

f1ar

Welcome to last century

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSxqdJ-B7_k[/youtube]

roksraka

f1ar wrote:Welcome to last century

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSxqdJ-B7_k[/youtube]
it's very similar, this video actually inspired me... but as far as i can see, there are some differences... too bad the video is so unexplained. i don't see how the split-cycle works in the video... it's just inconclusive