2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: 2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

Seanspeed wrote:
12 May 2024, 20:30
Assuming Marquez stays competitive and healthy, I dont know how Ducati dont pick him over Martin for next year. He's just a way bigger get. Maybe Martin winning the championship makes it more difficult, but we'll have to see if he can even do that just yet.
OMG what an absurd statement, replacing the man who is leading the championship with more than a race advantage!? #-o

Bastianini out, Martin for that bike, and Marquez on Pramac. That makes loads more sense. Or just give second Pramac to Marquez :wink:

Andres125sx

It was an awesome weekend for Marc indeed, from 13th to 2nd, twice, on a 23 bike :wtf:

Acosta was not that lucky tough, even when riders around him were the luckiest out there. Unbelieveble he didn´t crash with neither of them

Martin is heading the title, and it looks like few riders could stop him

Dunlay
Dunlay

Andres125sx wrote:
13 May 2024, 08:15
It was an awesome weekend for Marc indeed, from 13th to 2nd, twice, on a 23 bike :wtf:

Acosta was not that lucky tough, even when riders around him were the luckiest out there. Unbelieveble he didn´t crash with neither of them

Martin is heading the title, and it looks like few riders could stop him
It's just one moment of bad luck that can push Martin back. If Marc continues to understand the bike and gains more confidence on his bike, remember it's just 5 races and 15 to go, then Marc can challenge for the title. He has already crashed out a couple of times from good positions as he lacked full understanding of the bike, which otherwise, would have comfortably put him 2nd in the standings. Pecco would continue have his "weekends of struggle" very often that would be his weakness in this fight.

Pramac should focus on getting Acosta on their bike, if not immediately, at the least, for next year. That boy needs a good bike.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Andres125sx wrote:
13 May 2024, 08:09
Seanspeed wrote:
Assuming Marquez stays competitive and healthy, I dont know how Ducati dont pick him over Martin for next year. He's just a way bigger get. Maybe Martin winning the championship makes it more difficult, but we'll have to see if he can even do that just yet.
OMG what an absurd statement, replacing the man who is leading the championship with more than a race advantage!? #-o

Bastianini out, Martin for that bike, and Marquez on Pramac. That makes loads more sense. Or just give second Pramac to Marquez :wink:
It's still very early in the season and I fully expect Martin's lead to diminish. And I'm talking for next year, not immediately.

Ducati already have a title-capable rider in Bagnaia. The addition of Martin doesn't really add much for them. But Marquez could be both competitive and also a big name useful for the team's brand value and marketability.

Kinda like Ferrari hiring Lewis Hamilton. Yea, he's 40, but he's a huge name and so has a lot of value even if he's not at his prime anymore. Ferrari were never gonna turn that down even if Sainz is a perfectly capable guy.

CHT
CHT

Seanspeed wrote:
13 May 2024, 14:02
Andres125sx wrote:
13 May 2024, 08:09
Seanspeed wrote:

It's still very early in the season and I fully expect Martin's lead to diminish. And I'm talking for next year, not immediately.

Ducati already have a title-capable rider in Bagnaia. The addition of Martin doesn't really add much for them. But Marquez could be both competitive and also a big name useful for the team's brand value and marketability.

Kinda like Ferrari hiring Lewis Hamilton. Yea, he's 40, but he's a huge name and so has a lot of value even if he's not at his prime anymore. Ferrari were never gonna turn that down even if Sainz is a perfectly capable guy.
Not really similar, Marc took a big pay cut to leave a lucrative deal at Honda to join Ducati second team in hope to proof himself and to find a top seat at Pramac.

Lewis is moving to Ferrari on with big lucrative pay cheque to biggest team on the grid, while Ferrari is set to gain from brand exposure for signing Lewis.

Same same but different

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

CHT wrote:
14 May 2024, 00:39
Not really similar, Marc took a big pay cut to leave a lucrative deal at Honda to join Ducati second team in hope to proof himself and to find a top seat at Pramac.

Lewis is moving to Ferrari on with big lucrative pay cheque to biggest team on the grid, while Ferrari is set to gain from brand exposure for signing Lewis.

Same same but different
It's different from the driver/rider perspective yea, but I'm talking about from the team perspective.

Andres125sx

From team perspective, they have a rider with a 2024 bike who only scored points at 1 GP (Morbidelli), while a rider with 2023 bike is on the title fight (Marquez). That makes no sense at all

Ducati have 4 riders with 2024 bike, you need to look at all of them, not only the top guys. Replacing one of their riders who´s fighting for the title, while some other is underperforming, would be nosense

CHT
CHT

Andres125sx wrote:
14 May 2024, 08:40
From team perspective, they have a rider with a 2024 bike who only scored points at 1 GP (Morbidelli), while a rider with 2023 bike is on the title fight (Marquez). That makes no sense at all

Ducati have 4 riders with 2024 bike, you need to look at all of them, not only the top guys. Replacing one of their riders who´s fighting for the title, while some other is underperforming, would be nosense
Is there any meaningful performance comparison between 2023 and 2024 Ducati bike? Perhaps lap time?

cheeRS
cheeRS

CHT wrote:
14 May 2024, 12:46
Andres125sx wrote:

Is there any meaningful performance comparison between 2023 and 2024 Ducati bike? Perhaps lap time?
Objectively, yes, but I am not sure anyone knows an exact laptime figure. It's significant, per Ducati team itself. Bigger than between the 2022 and 2023 Duc.

https://www.gpone.com/en/2024/01/29/mot ... an-in-2023

This bodes extremely well for Marquez. He claims that he's adapted to the bike now, and for him to outperform the 2x world champion, who is on the factory team with the best bike, while on a year old bike on a Satellite team AND be mere tenths from the "strongest" rider Martin after coming back from 13th on the grid - Gigi has to be impressed with this more than any other Ducati rider.

I think if Marquez gets 2nd in this championship (and Martin 1st), GiGi will select Marquez to replace Enea. Still, Ducati is supposed to select the rider for 2025 by the end of this month. GiGi said that they will take into heavy consideration PAST performances and not just performance in 2024. If that's the case, Marquez' resume is unbeatable.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

cheeRS
cheeRS

🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

CHT
CHT

cheeRS wrote:
14 May 2024, 21:04
CHT wrote:
14 May 2024, 12:46
Andres125sx wrote:

Objectively, yes, but I am not sure anyone knows an exact laptime figure. It's significant, per Ducati team itself. Bigger than between the 2022 and 2023 Duc.

https://www.gpone.com/en/2024/01/29/mot ... an-in-2023

This bodes extremely well for Marquez. He claims that he's adapted to the bike now, and for him to outperform the 2x world champion, who is on the factory team with the best bike, while on a year old bike on a Satellite team AND be mere tenths from the "strongest" rider Martin after coming back from 13th on the grid - Gigi has to be impressed with this more than any other Ducati rider.

I think if Marquez gets 2nd in this championship (and Martin 1st), GiGi will select Marquez to replace Enea. Still, Ducati is supposed to select the rider for 2025 by the end of this month. GiGi said that they will take into heavy consideration PAST performances and not just performance in 2024. If that's the case, Marquez' resume is unbeatable.
Jerez was indeed the turning point for Marc, once he has that confidence in the bike and tire management, it will be difficult to keep him behind. Very smart rider and I reckon 2024 will be a spectacular season.

For 2025, I actually think it may be more exciting to keep him at the B team for Ducati as underdog.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Andres125sx wrote:

I said nothing about replacing Martin at Pramac. I was talking about who will replace Bastianini in the factory team.

Andres125sx

Seanspeed wrote:
15 May 2024, 22:46
Andres125sx wrote:

I said nothing about replacing Martin at Pramac. I was talking about who will replace Bastianini in the factory team.
Ok, this post was confusing :wink:
Seanspeed wrote:

AMG.Tzan

There’s no point in keeping Martin although the results suggest otherwise…

He’s the classic 1-2 times champion wonder who wins the championship and then disappears! Something like Mir-Quatararo…! Classic big mouth always talking of how great he is and how much he deserves that seat…

Marquez on the other hand needed about 1-2 races to already start battling “the best” guys on their own developed bikes with an older spec bike too! Not only is his GP23 one year old, it doesn’t even have the late 2023 developments like the fork wings, front wheel lower wings, bigger ground effect tunnels and the better ride height device!

Where’s the only place Marc loses out? Acceleration! If he gets the new rear ride height device at least he’ll instantly gain in acceleration…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

AMG.Tzan wrote:
16 May 2024, 15:19
There’s no point in keeping Martin although the results suggest otherwise…

He’s the classic 1-2 times champion wonder who wins the championship and then disappears! Something like Mir-Quatararo…! Classic big mouth always talking of how great he is and how much he deserves that seat…

Marquez on the other hand needed about 1-2 races to already start battling “the best” guys on their own developed bikes with an older spec bike too! Not only is his GP23 one year old, it doesn’t even have the late 2023 developments like the fork wings, front wheel lower wings, bigger ground effect tunnels and the better ride height device!

Where’s the only place Marc loses out? Acceleration! If he gets the new rear ride height device at least he’ll instantly gain in acceleration…
Wow... Didn't know Marc was on launch spec 2023 bike. That actually explains the loss in acceleration. I was wondering if GP24 is that much better or maybe riding style differences but this clears it up.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...