Delta wing car concept

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
donskar
donskar

Re: Delta wing car concept

I do NOT have the tech background to comment on the DW, but all this negativity does lead me to ask: does Ben Bowlby have a history of crackpot or failed designs? I thought he was competent?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

machin

I'm still sure they can lap in 3:45 IF they meet their targets (weight, drag coefficient)... So it should work ok given that requirement... However, I think the numbers show that a rectangular car would be better, given the same freedoms...

The disadvantage of a rectangular car, from a marketing point of view is that its 'boring'...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

cossie
cossie

The big problem for me is that originally Bowlby tired to sell it as an open wheel chassis for the IRL, looking at the Dallarra they selected maybe they should have selected the Delta Wang

Scania
Scania

Jersey Tom wrote:And how much more power to the rear wheels does the FW08 have compared to the DW?
but the size are different, DW got less power but less contact area

Scania
Scania

cossie wrote:The big problem for me is that originally Bowlby tired to sell it as an open wheel chassis for the IRL, looking at the Dallarra they selected maybe they should have selected the Delta Wang
1 of the problem for them I think is Deltawing is Deltawing, not Formula or Prototype

Scania
Scania

donskar wrote:I do NOT have the tech background to comment on the DW, but all this negativity does lead me to ask: does Ben Bowlby have a history of crackpot or failed designs? I thought he was competent?
he had built & ran lots of chimpions car

that's the point I said is 1 authority people or team would be make some wrong thing, but is it possible to see a champion engineer, chip ganassi racing(top class team in NASCAR, Indy Car & Gran-Am), Highcroft Racing(2 times ALMS LMP2 Champion), and ACO technical group make the same wrong @ the same time?

ACO have another choice, if they want a Hi-technical image, they can take GreenGT, if they want business icon, 918RSR should be better

machin

I would argue that the Deltawing isn't "wrong" as such....

I believe it will lap Le mans in 3:45 (their target), (assuming they meet their claims...); I believe they can do that lap time with just 300bhp whereas the current regulations mean you need near 600bhp to do it, so from that point of view, the ACO have made the right decision from the available options if they want to prove that equal lap time can be achieved whilst burning a lot less fuel.

My problem with its selection is that this sort of performance is a result of the light weight and ground effects, and has nothing to do with the Delta shape... infact the performance is inspite of the Delta shape, because the low weight and ground effects are such an advantage it can overcome the disadvantages of the delta shape... and that's my problem with it... people can't see light weight, and they can't see ground effects, but they can see the Delta shape, and they will hear that it only has 300bhp, so they'll think the delta shape is some "miracle" allowing near equal performance from half the power....

It was Autogyro, a couple of pages back, who hit the nail on the head I think... the Deltawing team have designed a car that looks so completely different from its rivals that you can't help but sit up and notice it... its a brilliant marketing ploy.

Apple do the same thing with their products; technically they don't make the best products, but they do make their products look "different" or "cool" (white with curved edges), and it got them noticed, and now they have a huge market share, and in fact a lot of other companies now make "White with rounded edge" products... and that's what I fear here.....

Pierce89

machin wrote:I would argue that the Deltawing isn't "wrong" as such....

I believe it will lap Le mans in 3:45 (their target), (assuming they meet their claims...); I believe they can do that lap time with just 300bhp whereas the current regulations mean you need near 600bhp to do it, so from that point of view, the ACO have made the right decision from the available options if they want to prove that equal lap time can be achieved whilst burning a lot less fuel.

My problem with its selection is that this sort of performance is a result of the light weight and ground effects, and has nothing to do with the Delta shape... infact the performance is inspite of the Delta shape, because the low weight and ground effects are such an advantage it can overcome the disadvantages of the delta shape... and that's my problem with it... people can't see light weight, and they can't see ground effects, but they can see the Delta shape, and they will hear that it only has 300bhp, so they'll think the delta shape is some "miracle" allowing near equal performance from half the power....

It was Autogyro, a couple of pages back, who hit the nail on the head I think... the Deltawing team have designed a car that looks so completely different from its rivals that you can't help but sit up and notice it... its a brilliant marketing ploy.

Apple do the same thing with their products; technically they don't make the best products, but they do make their products look "different" or "cool" (white with curved edges), and it got them noticed, and now they have a huge market share, and in fact a lot of other companies now make "White with rounded edge" products... and that's what I fear here.....
actually now, the lmp1's run under 3:30 with 550 hp. They could take 150 kilos out of the Audi or Peugot tomorrow if the ACO allowed it. The DW is no more efficient than a normal car could be with that low of a weight limit, The DW is only extra efficient because it doesn't have to follow rules. With no rules, Audi or Peugot could go alot faster than 3:45 on 300 HP.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

The discussion here has been extremely informative. I thank the contributors for I have gained a lot from it.

machin

pierce89; exactly; its the relaxing of the rules with allowance of light weight and ground effects which gives the Deltawing its performance... Not the Deltashape... That shape is a hindrance...

Even if anyone's sceptical of the maths, As someone said above; we have 100 years of Darwinism to show the Delta shape isn't an advantage...

Pierce89

machin wrote:pierce89; exactly; its the relaxing of the rules with allowance of light weight and ground effects which gives the Deltawing its performance... Not the Deltashape... That shape is a hindrance...

Even if anyone's sceptical of the maths, As someone said above; we have 100 years of Darwinism to show the Delta shape isn't an advantage...
+1 I think he inly used that shape for publicity. I absolutely don't believe it's layout is any better than a normal car allowed ground effects. I don't believe there's anything revolutionary in it. A conventional car built to the same weight,power, and level of downforce would beat it I believe. But i will say the debate on the rearward brake bias is misinformed. The rearward bias will actually increase stability because the downforce, weight, and tire distributions are so rearward biased that there's more grip back there even under the forward weight transfer of braking. With the huge rearward grip bias a slightly rearward break bias produces a stabilizing force moment. The fronts will still lock first because they have so little grip. However, the guy who said that it still creates a stabilizing force even with the rears locked up is wrong. With the rears locked up, the DW will spin like any car.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Scania wrote:
donskar wrote:I do NOT have the tech background to comment on the DW, but all this negativity does lead me to ask: does Ben Bowlby have a history of crackpot or failed designs? I thought he was competent?
he had built & ran lots of chimpions car

that's the point I said is 1 authority people or team would be make some wrong thing, but is it possible to see a champion engineer, chip ganassi racing(top class team in NASCAR, Indy Car & Gran-Am), Highcroft Racing(2 times ALMS LMP2 Champion), and ACO technical group make the same wrong @ the same time?

ACO have another choice, if they want a Hi-technical image, they can take GreenGT, if they want business icon, 918RSR should be better
Ben Bowlby has some winning designs in Champ cars, but his cars have never been particularly special. We're not taliking Newey here. As for Highcroft, as the saying goes:"show me the money"
Highcroft is only doing this because they lost their Honda/Acura deal. And the ACO? they can't even get close on a petrol diesel equivalancy, they really aren't technically inclined. after all that I will say, The DW isn't "wrong", it's just not better than a conventional car. Bowlby gave that shape to gain publicity for the IRL, but they didn't want the ugly SOB.

machin

With the huge rearward grip bias a slightly rearward break bias produces a stabilizing force moment
That's true, or put another way to make it applicable to any car:- "if the brake bias is set slightly further forward than the grip distribution then the car will be inherinantly stable"

Whether the grip distribution is 60:40, 50:50, 10:90, it doesn't matter -setting brake bias just slightly forward of the grip distribution results in stable behavior... put it even further forward and you make it more stable, BUT, and this is the key bit, you also reduce the braking performance of the car away from its optimum level; the optimum level being achieved if the brake bias exactly matches the grip distribution. So if the Deltawing is "more stable" that's because they're not using all of the grip optimally... i.e. they're giving up some braking performance to make it more stable.

Given the same overall tyre contact patch area, the same total weight, the same tyre grip coefficient, equally good camber control, tyre sizes set such as to match the vertical load distribution under braking (whatever that is, be it front or rear biased), etc, etc, the total grip will be the same, and that means the potential brake performance will be the same. To make the car more stable you have to "give up" some of that potential braking performance by biasing the brakes forward of optimum setting.....

Scania
Scania

machin wrote:I would argue that the Deltawing isn't "wrong" as such....

how about the drag of normal car?

machin

Can u expand on the question a bit?

If you mean, will the "wingcar" have worse aerodynamics than Deltawing.. my thoughts are that it wouldn't... The picture below shows a comparison on the left of the profiles of the two cars....

Black near the centre of the car
Red in line with the rear wheels
Blue between those

The comparison on the right shows a section through the two cars at the centreline of the rear wheels (in dark grey), and the front tyres projected on that (in light grey). On the Deltawing the wide rear tyres create more blockage of the flow and the front tyres disturb some of the flow in the ground effect area...

On a rectangular car with narrower rear tyres the blockage is a lot less, and also I would guess the flow is cleaner as the front tyres don't get in the way...

To my mind, I would guess that the lower blockage caused by the narrower rear tyres, the fact that the rear tyres are in the wake of the front tyres and the extra length of the "between wheel" region (blue in profile view) on the Wingcar would mean that it has lower form drag, but, due to the larger plan form area, also a slightly higher skin friction drag.... adding up (only guessing here) to (slightly) lower overall drag than the Deltawing....

Both shapes are quite simple, so I'd be interested if anyone could make some simple models and do some cfd?