Delta Wing To Race Le Mans

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

Delta Wing To Race Le Mans

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/10/ ... -unveiled/
America’s great red white and blue hope will be attacking the 24 Hours of Le Mans next year…on French rubber!

At the official unveiling of the DeltaWing racing car today in Atlanta, the team behind the revolutionary sports car announced that it will be using Michelin tires in the 2012 running of the classic endurance race.

The ultra-lightweight needle-nose vehicle promises to deliver the performance of today’s top prototype racing cars combined with exceptional fuel economy, courtesy of a small turbocharged four-cylinder engine with about half the horsepower of the 2011 Le Mans champ, the Audi R18.

The DeltaWing was originally proposed as a single-seat spec chassis for the IndyCar series, but was rejected in favor of a more traditional design. DeltaWing stuck with the project, added a vestigial passenger seat to meet sports car racing regulations, and got the backing of ALMS President Scott Atherton, an advocate for the advancement of environmentally-conscious racing cars, who helped get the project in front of the Le Mans sanctioning body.

The brainchild of veteran racing car designer Ben Bowlby, the radical design was accepted by the organizers of the Le Mans race as part of their “Garage 56” program, which allows cars with promising new technologies to compete in the race outside of the traditional classes.

Bowlby’s outfit has joined forces with Dan Gurney’s All-American Racers, American Le Mans Series (ALMS) owner Don Panoz and Highcroft Racing to build and campaign the car in the 24 hour race, and possibly several others in the American Le Mans Series.

An engine supplier is yet to be announced, but a decision is imminent as the DeltaWing is expected to begin on track testing in the coming weeks. Earlier this year during an appearance on Fox Car Report, Bowlby said “I think we all want it to be an American engine.”

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

machin

Re: Delta Wing To Race Le Mans

Shouldn't this go here???

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10189&start=120
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

GutZ

If this ugly thing hits la sarte track there is 95% of possibilities i wouldnt watch le mans 24h 2012!

wesley123

GutZ wrote:If this ugly thing hits la sarte track there is 95% of possibilities i wouldnt watch le mans 24h 2012!
so only because 1 of the 44 runners doesnt look good you arent watching? :lol:
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

olefud

What we seem to have here is a trike. Shades of Morgan!

andylaurence

olefud wrote:What we seem to have here is a trike. Shades of Morgan!
Two small issues there. Firstly, the Delta Wing has four wheels. Secondly, Morgans have two front wheels and one rear, which is the opposite of what the Delta Wing looks like.

donskar

GutZ wrote:If this ugly thing hits la sarte track there is 95% of possibilities i wouldnt watch le mans 24h 2012!
Take a look at some of the cars that ran in the 60s and 70s -- truly ugly. This is a new idea, which is what racing needs. It might well fail, but at least it is a real attempt at a new approach.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Richard

GutZ - If you've calculated a 95% chance, could you enlighten us to the variables you are using? Is this based on just one car or an assessment of the whole grid? How much ugliness is needed for 100%, and what would need to be changed to reduce the odds to 50:50?

Scania

Peter Wright, the keen mind involved in some of F1's most remarkable innovations and performance leaps – Lotus's ground effect and active suspension, both ultimately banned, of course – is an FIA Institute technical consultant and another DeltaWing admirer: "The tools to analyse a radical concept like this are mature, and Ben is a thorough engineer. There's no reason why it can't be made to work."

The Box

Looking at the pictures of it, I'm wondering if there would be any issues with front end weight transfer, especially laterally. In a turn, would the force be going diagonally forward instead of perpendicular to the direction of travel?

machin

quite a bit of discussion on this very subject has been conducted before:-

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

olefud

machin wrote:quite a bit of discussion on this very subject has been conducted before:-

This is what I was driving at with my above Morgan comment. Functionally, two wheels are doing the work of one and, like the Morgan trike, the wide wheels are at the heavy end of the car. Thus on turn in with trailing brake, the roll couple is between a point along a lint between the outer front and rear wheels, i.e. short coupled and tippy. It’s been demonstrated that the aero advantage of narrow track is negated by the poor grip resulting from exaggerated weight transfer to the outer tires.

But hey, it’s pretty and with a really favorable power/weight ratio it could be competitive.

Pandamasque

wesley123 wrote:
so only because 1 of the 44 runners doesnt look good you arent watching? :lol:
1 of 56.