Ovals racing line (IRL)

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Shrek

Ovals racing line (IRL)

I was watching last years Indy 500 pole day and i kept seeing drivers go down to the middle of the track on the straights, why do they do that? I always thought that the farther you move down the more distance you run and speed you scrub off.

flynfrog

Re: Ovals racing line (IRL)

Indy cars make enough traction compared to a cup car that the loss of momentum is made up for by taking the shorter line. If you watch indy qualifying you will see them take the high line on the incoming lap to get a higher speed then dive low to get a quicker lap time.

Shrek

I was talking about Indianapolis Motor Speedway, sorry i didn't make that clear. What I see them doing is exiting the corner to the wall, swooping down, then coming back up to enter the next turn.
Spencer

raymondu999

The boundary of the wall creates drag, as does the wall messing up the flow of air away from the car. You get this effect that is basically like driving next to an identical (but mirrored) car. It also causes a low pressure area between the car and the wall which sucks you into the wall.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shrek

yes, but do they have to go to the bottom of the track just to get out of that effect i always thought they could get 2/3 meters away and they're good
Spencer

raymondu999

I'm not 100% in the know of IndyCar aero and how far out any outwash goes; or how far down they go on the oval (don't watch IndyCar), so I can't really comment on that
失败者找理由,成功者找方法