A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
PaulB

A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Hello guys!

Today, after my RB7 is finished, I started with the manufacturing of the AUDI R18TDI. The monocoque is for sure a bit different compared to a F1, because it's a doubbleseater and closed. The lower part is indeed very similar to a F1 monocoque. But that's not really astonishing, a LMP1 is only a cased formula car.
To the monocoque itself. The LMP1 is with 900mm certainly much bigger than the F1 with 640mm. The entering height is with 500mm (LMP1) to 625mm (F1) a bit lower. The lenght of the rear cockpit blukhead to the front is 1560mm (R18) compared to 1800mm (F1). The top height is 1030mm (LMP1) against 950mm (F1). In generally you could say, that there are much more regulations in F1 than in endurance racing. The LMP1/LMP2 text has 52 pages in english and french, so you can say 26 pages in english compared to the 74(!) of the F1 regs. That's for sure much more easy for me, because I've not to look after so many things like in F1. The most important chapter for me, Bodyword & Dimensions has 4,5 pages in LMP1 and 10 in F1.

But now to the manufacturing. The shape of the lower part is finished. You can see the keel like in F1. For sure also the LMP1 cars have a high nose. However there the high nose is more there for supporting the front diffuser than leading air to the underbody and the rear diffuser. At the rear you can see the fuel tank housing. A LMP1 (Diesel) has only a regulated fuel capacity of 65 litres compared to a F1 car with about 170 to 180l.

That's it for the first time, thanks for watching.
Cheers Paul
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

Caito

Re: A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Here you come again!
Come back 747, we miss you!!

EAKMotorsports

Caito wrote:Here you come again!
=D>
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

PaulB

Hello guys!

The main shape of the monocoque is finished. That means, the whole suppporting structure is there. I recognise more and more the complexity of that car. But a reason for my meaning of it's complexity is for sure also, that I've almost nothing to do with modern LMP cars till today.

The only thing which is missing on the supporting structure is the air intake at the top. The small cuttings at the side ot the front roll over structure are there for assimilating the links for the doors. Of course I try to make doors to open.

The windscreen reaches to the line which you can see at the front of the monocoque.

At the moment, there's nothing glued together. At first I've to cover the whole inside with carbon fibre textures. Also the whole cockpit internals I've to fit before glueing everything together.

That's it for the mo, thanks for watching,
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Carbon

I'm still baffled. Amazing. =D>

Websta

Modern LMP cars are truly beautiful. I am really looking forward to this.

Caito

Are you sure you want to make an AUDI R18?

You can still make a reliant Robin!

:P Sorry OT but I saw that pic an thought of the reliant..
Come back 747, we miss you!!

P.S.

Absolutly mind-boggling!
I wonder where they are so precise data about the cars?
I´m personly more interested in the older group c and f1 cars. Times when the aero rules were not yet as severe. You can give a clue?

Thanks paul

Tyler

^^ Hehehe
No please, not the Reliant Robin!
The R18 is such a beautiful car, you couldn't have chosen a nicer car to build.
Can't wait to see more of this, your RB7 was amazing!

PaulB

:lol: Ha, that's nice. At the mo, there is a given alikeness to the Robin.
P.S. wrote:Absolutly mind-boggling!
I wonder where they are so precise data about the cars?
I´m personly more interested in the older group c and f1 cars. Times when the aero rules were not yet as severe. You can give a clue?

Thanks paul
Thanks. Hmm, the data. If you want, I can send you my RB7 construction data.
For the R18 I took this page, google and the ACO technical regs. Nothing more. I'm lucky that Alan McNish demounted the car that beautiful at Le Mans. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to build that car.
Tyler wrote:^^ Hehehe
No please, not the Reliant Robin!
Should I change? With a few modification I'll be able to turn from the R18 to the Robin. :wink:

Cheers

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

P.S.

PaulB wrote: Thanks. Hmm, the data. If you want, I can send you my RB7 construction data.
For the R18 I took this page, google and the ACO technical regs. Nothing more. I'm lucky that Alan McNish demounted the car that beautiful at Le Mans. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to build that car.
Cheers
To reconstruct those cars from such basics is a stunner! Honestly I was hoping you had a more easy access to them I could absorb. Anyway I would be glad to get a look at your RB7 data. You get pm.

Cheers

ajprice

Based on the quality of the RB7, this will be great. How are you planning to do the curved cockpit glass for the doors and windscreen?

Terrible3

Unfortunately I dont have any reference photos to help with the R18 (I may have some after sebring) but if you are ever interested in making a lola LMP I have photos of just about ever part of the car, even the bare tubs!

amouzouris

Paul i'd like to ask a question..what kind of cardboard exactly are you using?

PaulB

Terrible3 wrote:Unfortunately I dont have any reference photos to help with the R18 (I may have some after sebring) but if you are ever interested in making a lola LMP I have photos of just about ever part of the car, even the bare tubs!
If you have after Sebring, please tell me. Thanks.
amouzouris wrote:Paul i'd like to ask a question..what kind of cardboard exactly are you using?
This one:
http://www.cleverkaufen.at/BMLImages/pr ... 500395.png
:D

Cheers

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL