WRC - general discussion

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
MadMatt
MadMatt

WRC - general discussion

I couldn't find a general topic about WRC, and ok I know we are on a F1 dedicated forum, but surely there must be members interested in WRC here right ?

Ok I start by saying that for the first time in months (or more), M-Sport has no vacancies available. Is that because they are really full, or is that because they plan to reduce their activity or else ? Or maybe I'm over thinking (that happens sometimes :D ).

If that topic is useless feel free to delete it ! :)

wesley123
wesley123

Re: WRC - general discussion

Really good to have a opic like this.

I do not follow WRC(or any other rally series) that much but I am really interrested in it, mainly because of Richard Burns Rally haha. The concept itself of WRC I find it rather dull to be honest, but the drivers make it incredible.

The championship itsef isnt that interesting either, it is pretty likely Loeb will win the championship again and apart from that there are only 3 cars competing, with the Mini not being a factory effort anymore. The rallys arent interresting either, you can really see the difference between the drivers and if they are a factory effort or privateers, because there are pretty large gaps already after the first day.

I however, love the stages they drive, without any fear and push it to the limit in every turn, with the risk of a huuuge crash.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

wesley123 wrote:The concept itself of WRC I find it rather dull to be honest, but the drivers make it incredible.
I can see what you are saying, if you love racing then perhaps you would prefer to watch something like Formula 1.

But in many respects WRC is a more pure demonstration of speed. Your goal is be fast as possible without the constraints of having to overtake people to do it... its just you, the road, your car and your driving ability. And I like that concept

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Mini out of the WRC after just one year, although they will continue to build the cars for private teams.

This series just can't catch a break, for a while now it has been a joke and it's not getting any better.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

MadMatt
MadMatt

And when you think it can't go worse...
M-Sport wrote:Image

In response to the announcement from Ford of Europe that they will reduce their commitment to the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) at the end of the season, M-Sport managing director Malcolm Wilson said today:

“I would like to thank Ford of Europe for their enthusiastic support and the faith shown in the team over the past 16 seasons. We understand that tough decisions have had to be made to safeguard Ford jobs, we accept the commercial reality of the situation and look forward to continuing our strong technical partnership into the future.

“M-Sport is extremely proud of our history with Ford since 1997; 208 podium finishes, scoring points on 156 consecutive events and 52 wins from 225 starts in the WRC along with two world titles underlines the dedication and commitment of the whole team in Cumbria.

”My intention is that we will continue to push to secure stage wins and overall results on the forthcoming events for Ford and to push forward with the development work that was started in March this year to improve and refine the Fiesta WRC even further, ready for the 2013 season.

”We will also continue to work closely with our colleagues at Ford Racing towards the launch of the Fiesta R5 for March 2013 and the improvements that we are working on for the R2 car which will continue to the form the basis of a series of national and regional young driver programmes in the future.

“Confirmation of our key championship programmes for 2013 is our first priority and a challenge that the team here is very much looking forward to. After that we can review all options and determine the right direction for the future”
My comment from earlier this year about the vacancies available wasn't so off the reality I guess. I'm gutted because I was seriously considering working there next year !

wesley123
wesley123

Lets hope Volkswagen can bring reignite the fire in WRC, becuase I dont think Citroen is going to run as the only factory effort
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MadMatt
MadMatt

Problem is that I fear VW could repeat what they've done in the Paris-Dakar rallyraid : dominating with no serious opposition. Same with Audi (same group) at LeMans. Citroen has now Qatar supporting them, otherwise they would have pulled out also. And when Loeb is going to leave, I doubt they will stay a lot longer ! It all comes to an end, but that's a real shame.

I had the feeling WRC was really THE motorsport that could help manufacturers to sell more cars. I mean if your car wins rallies, it means the technology can be used on road cars and that they know how to build strong cars. But that's if you are producing cars that are actually in the same spirit as WRC. Not FWD cars that "looks like" WRC with stupid stickers and ugly bodykits. And of course you have to ADVERTISE it otherwise people won't know about it !

Subaru and Mitsubishi had got it right long time ago ! Shame the manufacturers all missed the point of WRC... I mean look at that example :

You could really feel like to bought a real piece of kit !