WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Guisson

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2012

WEC this year looks almost like F1 2011 , where there is Audi AND the others.. since Peugeot Retired Audi Dominated - dominates and will dominate the championship ! Don't expect a win from Toyota in Le mans :|
However I don't see a big difference between the R18 ULTRA and the R18 E-Tron Quattron ( considering Race Pace )
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

italian

RB_[Gnx] wrote:WEC this year looks almost like F1 2011 , where there is Audi AND the others.. since Peugeot Retired Audi Dominated - dominates and will dominate the championship ! Don't expect a win from Toyota in Le mans :|
However I don't see a big difference between the R18 ULTRA and the R18 E-Tron Quattron ( considering Race Pace )
Luckily in LMP2 and GTE Pro there are some interesting fights. I agree with you, AUDI is dominating this Championship but I think this is going to be a preparatory year for Toyota and for the Delta Wing as well. I think that the next will be more funny.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

ds.raikkonen

RB_[Gnx] wrote:However I don't see a big difference between the R18 ULTRA and the R18 E-Tron Quattron ( considering Race Pace )
Disagree, did you see the pace of the e-trons early in the race when the track was still reasonably wet? The Ultras were almost 4 sec slower than the e-trons! In the later stages, though, when the track was drying out, both were doing similar lap times. I want to see what the e-trons can do at Le Mans in three weeks time now, can't wait! However, without the presence of the 908 HDi, it ll be a dull race with the Audis dominating and racing amongst themselves :-(
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

italian

ds.raikkonen wrote:
RB_[Gnx] wrote:However I don't see a big difference between the R18 ULTRA and the R18 E-Tron Quattron ( considering Race Pace )
Disagree, did you see the pace of the e-trons early in the race when the track was still reasonably wet? The Ultras were almost 4 sec slower than the e-trons! In the later stages, though, when the track was drying out, both were doing similar lap times. I want to see what the e-trons can do at Le Mans in three weeks time now, can't wait! However, without the presence of the 908 HDi, it ll be a dull race with the Audis dominating and racing amongst themselves :-(
Agree, I think that the 80th edition of Le Mans 24h wont' be spectacular like it would deserve. :(
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

ds.raikkonen

italian wrote:Agree, I think that the 80th edition of Le Mans 24h wont' be spectacular like it would deserve. :(
Yeah, I hope the Toyota hybrids are quick enough to give Audi and the R18 drivers something to think about. Otherwise it ll be like watching MSC in the 2002 and 2004 season, catastrophically boring!
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

wesley123

Well I think it is quite clear how it is going to be, Audi just cruising laps and the rest 2 secs slower
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ds.raikkonen

wesley123 wrote:Well I think it is quite clear how it is going to be, Audi just cruising laps and the rest 2 secs slower
Well, you never know, the R10s slower than the 908s in 2008, yet they won based due to excellent strategy. Let's hope someone will have a strategy which can stop the relentless advance of the R18s or else people ll be fast asleep by hour 2.

RB7ate9

Interesting news from lemans.org about how the rules will be regarding hybrids.

Essentially, between "braking zones" the cars will be allowed to use 500 kJ of energy, to remove the possibility of holding down the boost button through the Mulssanne Straight I would imagine as well as costs.

http://www.lemans.org/en/races/24h/upda ... _7185.html

At the end it mentions the different rules regarding using the "ERS" between the Toyotas (rear electric) and the Audis (front electric) where the Audis need to be above a certain speed to use their ERS (much like the use of KERS in starts in F1). I am curious as to how this will affect the performance of the hybrids with these two different layouts, as Spa showed the E-tron's effectiveness in the wet, but perhaps the ever-presence of ERS for the Toyotas will enhance acceleration out of the corners.

Exciting stuff as the time draws closer and closer.

italian

Maybe the most interesting thing will be watching the Delta Car performance.

machin

italian wrote:Maybe the most interesting thing will be watching the Delta Car performance.
For me the interest here has been taken away by the fact that the Deltawing is running to its own set of rules and has been engineered to achieve a specific lap time; between an LMP1 and an LMP2... so don't expect any surprises here....

More discussions on Deltawing;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10189&start=300
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

wesley123

ds.raikkonen wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Well I think it is quite clear how it is going to be, Audi just cruising laps and the rest 2 secs slower
Well, you never know, the R10s slower than the 908s in 2008, yet they won based due to excellent strategy. Let's hope someone will have a strategy which can stop the relentless advance of the R18s or else people ll be fast asleep by hour 2.
Great comparasion, the 908 was a diesel and was pretty close in laptime. No one will come close in terms of laptime to the Audi's, then you can have an tactic that will be perfect, but then you wont even be able to fight the Audi's
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ds.raikkonen

italian wrote:Maybe the most interesting thing will be watching the Delta Car performance.
Perhaps they should try the other way round as well! :lol:

machin

interesting prss release from Audi:-

https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/publ ... hkeit.html
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Sombrero

Journée Test des 24 Heures du Mans (live timing)

Sunday June the 3rd, 2012

http://live.lemans-tv.com/fr/

The Delta Wing allready under 4 minutes after 8 laps. Audi e-tron Quattro nr.2 McNish run again after electrical problem.
http://radiolemans.0157.org/nplayer.php

Sombrero

Now on air : 6h Interlagos (5. Round WEC 2012)

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/90/v-449088.html

Very good race til now. Toyota faster but Audi did use less fuel...