Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: Formula E

You´re not criticizing Tim, as autogyro, but others do

Thanks for the link btw :wink:

I expected these cars would suffer a lot more incidents, they´re new and even when electric setups are way more reliable than ICE´s, a car is not its power train alone, they could be breaking lots of pieces, speciall watching the bumpy tracks they´re racing and the tall and steepy kerbs FIA is using, but IMHO they´re proving to be very reliable for a brand new car

I´d like to see F1 on these tracks, some of them have some bumps that are almost steps.... :shock:

Andres125sx

You can see some cars hitting the wall on these videos, and they don´t break apart if it´s not a really hard crash.

As any other category, but without fuel, smoke, harmful noises or earplugs :P

Complete Buenos Aires Eprix highlights

FW17

6 existing and 2 new teams have been approved to develop and produce their own powertrain, power control system and cooling system for next season.

Guess the remaining teams will be customers

Volvo which were eyeing Formula E has been left out; not sure if names like toyota and tesla tried to get in.

FW17

A large FE lithium-ion battery cell, here compared to a much smaller early F1 KERS cell

The FE battery box contains over 150 individual lithium-ion cells, each one roughly between the size of an iPad and an A4 padded envelope and stacked upright in rows. The cell chemistry is designed specifically for the needs of each application and that’s a closely guarded secret at Williams. With all those cells connected together in series. An innovative cooling system is integrated into the battery box to help maintain stable temperatures across the entire unit.
A non-conductive fluid, known as a dielectric, is pumped around the inside of the battery case and around each cell, before being circulated through a traditional style, sidepod mounted, cooling radiator and back into the box.

With the car stationary inside the garage, powerful blowers and dry ice are used to cool the radiators and consequently the battery while it’s recharged, a process which takes around 45 minutes, but one that can only begin once the unit has been pre-conditioned, or brought into the optimum temperature window by the team.

Batteries have to be strictly maintained and their cell temperatures are carefully monitored at all times by a sophisticated battery management system (BMS), sitting inside the box on top of the cell modules. The system has the ability to shut down cells if required, or switch to a reduced power failsafe mode if things get a little too hot.

source - f1elvis
Last edited by Steven on 05 Jan 2016, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed copyrighted image

FW17

Some Formula E concepts which did not happen, hope it does in the future

mzso
mzso

WilliamsF1 wrote:6 existing and 2 new teams have been approved to develop and produce their own powertrain, power control system and cooling system for next season.

Volvo which were eyeing Formula E has been left out; not sure if names like toyota and tesla tried to get in.
What will happen to the aero? Will it stay the same?
Any power increase?

FW17

mzso wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:6 existing and 2 new teams have been approved to develop and produce their own powertrain, power control system and cooling system for next season.

What will happen to the aero? Will it stay the same?
Any power increase?
There are some aero changes for the next season but that will be standard across.

Power increase will happen, the gear box could become a lot smaller, cooling more efficient but not really sure what will be true extent

WaikeCU

Will they reduce drag as much as they can to be more energy effective?

mzso
mzso

WaikeCU wrote:Will they reduce drag as much as they can to be more energy effective?
It would make a lot of sense but I doubt they will do it. With a wing-car formula they could throw away the front wings and maybe the back wings too

I think they will be clinging to the stereotypical formula car look because of romantic and PR reasons.

hollus

And cornering speed and balance reasons.
Rivals, not enemies.

Andres125sx

hollus wrote:And cornering speed and balance reasons.
True, but they´re not a necessity

I´d love if they ban wings and allow any other aero development. Difusers, ground effect... I wonder how much downforce they could get without wings but developing any other area.

If not posible, then active wings

mzso
mzso

This feels unfounded. The cornering speed will depend on how much they limit downforce.
Whithout actual ground effect when the sides are sealed the downforce is not terribly strong.
I have no idea what you mean by balance.

mzso
mzso

Andres125sx wrote:
True, but they´re not a necessity

I´d love if they ban wings and allow any other aero development. Difusers, ground effect... I wonder how much downforce they could get without wings but developing any other area.

If not posible, then active wings
If it were me I'd go with chassis only. No wing, winglets or any sort of attachments. So not even the kind of diffusers current f1 cars have.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Currently it seems that FE lack the energy required to overcome gross cornering assistance aids such as wide
super-sticky tyres & massively draggy aero-downforce devices, ( & perhaps, the power to run active aero?)..

Although, evidently, the speed they do make - does not warrant too much - in the way of this stuff, anyhow..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

hollus

Agag said that the change to cars capable of a full race won't happen until year 5. In the meantime, movable aero would be an interesting proposition...

@mzso: Only with ground effect you get the downforce you get in the part of the car where you get it, and that's it. If it doesn't suit the circuit, tough luck. Plus underfloor downforce can suddenly disappear, say going over one of those monster kerbs.
Downforce from wings, while being less efficient, is more constant, and it is tunable. You can transfer downforce to the front or the back of the car, or increase it or reduce it overall, just by changing the angles of attack. This way you can suit the car to the different layouts, ambient conditions, etc. It it rains, you crank both wings up. That's what I meant with balance.
Rivals, not enemies.