Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Formula E

J.A.W. wrote:Then the question asked must surely be..

Why have the FIA/Formula E regs been designed to provide such a predicably limp racing machine/race?

It would appear to be predicated to be - no competition - as a spectacle, & thus be dismissed by hardened race fans.

Almost - as if you wanted to be able to proclaim.. "Yeah, we tried it & no one liked it - it was lame, so we dropped it."
FE is nothing like the three levels of open wheeled electric racing I originally suggested to the FIA.
Perhaps an investor with sufficient technical and forward thinking will give me the chance to do the job properly?

Andres125sx

Why have the FIA/Formula E regs been designed to provide such a predicably limp racing machine/race?
Have you watched any FE race?

I´ve watched them all, except the last one (Monaco), and all of them were much funnier than last F1 race (Montmelo). Obviously they´re way way slower, but competition is way way better

Anycase we could ask the same about F3, GP3.... except they´re not innovating anything like FE is doing.
J.A.W. wrote:It would appear to be predicated to be - no competition - as a spectacle, & thus be dismissed by hardened race fans.
You must be talking about F1, right? On first 6 FE races, 6 different winners.
J.A.W. wrote:Almost - as if you wanted to be able to proclaim.. "Yeah, we tried it & no one liked it - it was lame, so we dropped it."
Please do not confuse your likings with everybody´s likings. There´re a long list of manufacturers willing to enter FE. That means something for anyone who is not blinded by his own prejudices

I´m not saying FE is an asthonishing competition right now, but considering it is first season of first FIA electric championship ever, I think it is pretty good, with very good competitiveness (much better than on F1) and with a lot less technical problems that I was expecting for something this new with no previous racing experience. Obviosuly it still has a lot of aspects to improve, but for its very first season of something this new, it is really good

mzso
mzso

autogyro wrote:

It would appear to be predicated to be - no competition - as a spectacle, & thus be dismissed by hardened race fans.

Almost - as if you wanted to be able to proclaim.. "Yeah, we tried it & no one liked it - it was lame, so we dropped it."
FE is nothing like the three levels of open wheeled electric racing I originally suggested to the FIA.
Perhaps an investor with sufficient technical and forward thinking will give me the chance to do the job properly?
What were those like?

Also I'm wondering in what capacity were you involved with FE or the FIA. You keep mentioning your suggestions to the FIA, are you some elite consultant?

RicME85

I'm with Andres, have really enjoyed Formula E in its debut season.
Looking forward to seeing it progress as the tech improves.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Curiously, all the races have been on free-TV ( FIA promotion?) albeit delayed, (Long Beach race shown today)..
.. so I recorded them to watch.. & ..

They looked a bit better on fast forward..

But seriously, given the potential for electrickery to produce really impressive motive drive,
it seems way too restricted/limp - as is.. ..must do better.. a bit of spinnin' & a smokin' tyre-type action..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

For how many laps? More power means lower range, and it is quite limited now, that´s the reason to use two cars per driver even with only 200hp

Today batteries are the limiting factor. An electric car can be as powerful as a Veyron, but then the range will be like 50km more or less....
J.A.W. wrote:But seriously, given the potential for electrickery to produce really impressive motive drive...
One of the multiple reasons this sort of series and technology must be encouraged

Next season teams will develop their own power systems, including the battery. That´s the main point for FE, encouraging and promoting EV´s development. Competition has always been a good test platform, that´s the reason there are some manufacturers willing to join FE, to take the lead on EV market, wich is the future and manufacturers are conscious of this. It´s just the batteries limitations what keep alive ICE´s, once a better battery improves range, ICEs will be done....

And we will get rid of your 4t vs 2t discussion :twisted: :P

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:For how many laps? More power means lower range, and it is quite limited now, that´s the reason to use two cars per driver even with only 200hp

Today batteries are the limiting factor. An electric car can be as powerful as a Veyron, but then the range will be like 50km more or less....
J.A.W. wrote:But seriously, given the potential for electrickery to produce really impressive motive drive...
One of the multiple reasons this sort of series and technology must be encouraged

Next season teams will develop their own power systems, including the battery. That´s the main point for FE, encouraging and promoting EV´s development. Competition has always been a good test platform, that´s the reason there are some manufacturers willing to join FE, to take the lead on EV market, wich is the future and manufacturers are conscious of this. It´s just the batteries limitations what keep alive ICE´s, once a better battery improves range, ICEs will be done....

And we will get rid of your 4t vs 2t discussion :twisted: :P

Doubt it.. at least not in the practicably foreseeable future, its a matter of the physical properties of batteries..

( What about quick-change battery pack modules, for rapid pit stops?)
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Steven
Owner

All posts regarding the (heated) discussion of the evolution of battery capacity have been moved to
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 11&t=22377

aleks_ader

So Virgin team as next year one of 8 manufacturers has a lot of action around recently.
Motorsport.com has learned that a top-secret Citroen Formula E test took place earlier this month close to Paris.

The covert run is believed to have taken place on May 11 at the Val D’Or test facility close to Versailles, where Citroen Racing is based.

The test, which is the first time one of the eight season two manufacturers has track tested its technology, is understood to have been undertaken by an official Citroen Racing development driver.

Motorsport.com believes that several innovative electric racing technologies were shaken down at Val D’Or, including either a single-gear or seamless-shift gearbox.

CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) is currently not allowed in the Formula E technical regulations, but Motorsport.com understands that several parties are lobbying the organisers to allow its use in future campaigns.

Sources indicate that the topic was discussed at the team principals’ meeting at the Berlin event last Friday.

The eight manufacturer teams have purchased new chassis from Spark to fit season-two systems, and Motorsport.com can reveal that these were delivered at the beginning of May.

The Citroen test is the first time one has run on the track but at least two more (Andretti and eDAMS Renault) are expected to test next month.

Series boss Alejandro Agag admitted in Berlin last weekend that “some of the season two projects are more advanced than others. But I know one has already tested the powertrain. At least four or five will be ready for next season.”

Citroen and Virgin close-in on deal

Citroen is planning to enter Formula E next season under its DS brand, and it is believed that an official announcement concerning a partnership with the Virgin Racing team could be made next month at the London ePrix, where Sir Richard Branson is scheduled to attend.

It remains unclear as to whether Virgin Racing personnel attended the test at Versailles. Virgin Racing technical director, Sylvain Filippi, refused to comment on the test but spoke to Motorsport.com about the team’s season two plans.

“The homologation date for us is coming really rapidly now, next month,” Filippi told Motorsport.com. “We have tested most of our systems on the bench. We are working with several partners and we have a five year road map.

“We have the same goals as the championship has in running with one car per driver in season five. The focus will be on reliability next season as there is no point in having something exotic and then never finishing a race, so this is the key challenge.

“Small, lightweight and high torque is where we are aiming in the future,” continued Filippi. “At the moment there is a lot of speculation and I even heard we had a new battery already, which is complete nonsense."

Efficiency the key

Filippi quashed the notion that one team could advance so much and run away with the season two title, stating: “I don’t think it will happen because ultimately we will be limited by the battery.

“The differences you will see will be in acceleration, top speed and efficiency. You can only go as quick as your efficiency and no-one is going to make massive steps on efficiency.

"So ultimately we will have different designs but it should be still very close, which is great for everyone.”
Please allow CVT gear. That would be nice battle between "direct drive" motor (rumored from Mahindra) and "standard" CVT powertrain. Weight vs. uneven efficiency? Witch is more severe?

When are we about next years ruling they will...
Next year's Formula E regulations allow manufacturers to build their own electric motors, current inverters and gearboxes.

The maximum race power will rise from 150kW to 170kW.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Andres125sx

Interesting, good to see manufacturers are very interested on FE

I was thinking next season batteries could be developed, but I was wrong, they will on next one
(Next season)All eight will be free to develop powertrains through a bespoke e-motor, inverter, gearbox and cooling system.

The remainder of the package will remain unchanged, with batteries the next stage of Formula E's evolution in the third season.

By the fifth year, that development is expected to see drivers use a single car in each race.
BTW, for that fifth year they probably have planned to introduce LiS batteries, otherwise they´d have to reduce race distance to a half to use a single car in each race, so the only way to expect a single car each race is with LiS batteries

Phil

So I just watched the Formula-E race in Berlin! I like! Though I just learned that DiGrassi was excluded/disqualified after his front wing failed post-race scrutineering, but the championship is surely shaping up for a very close final two races.

1.) Piquet: 103
2.) Buemi: 101
3.) DiGrassi: 93
4.) Prost: 78
5.) D'Ambrosio: 77
6.) Bird: 68

This is with 60 points left (25 for the win, 3 for pole, 2 for fastest-lap, I think). I think DiGrassi looks very strong, but so does Buemi with also 2 DNFs but 2 poles so far. I think the championship will be between those two, but Piquet has been doing quite well too, if he gets qualifying together.

Next race will be this Saturday, in Moscow!
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Trocola
Trocola

Phil wrote:So I just watched the Formula-E race in Berlin! I like! Though I just learned that DiGrassi was excluded/disqualified after his front wing failed post-race scrutineering, but the championship is surely shaping up for a very close final two races.

1.) Piquet: 103
2.) Buemi: 101
3.) DiGrassi: 93
4.) Prost: 78
5.) D'Ambrosio: 77
6.) Bird: 68

This is with 60 points left (25 for the win, 3 for pole, 2 for fastest-lap, I think). I think DiGrassi looks very strong, but so does Buemi with also 2 DNFs but 2 poles so far. I think the championship will be between those two, but Piquet has been doing quite well too, if he gets qualifying together.

Next race will be this Saturday, in Moscow!
London will be a double race, so there are [s]3[/s] 2 races to go after Moscow. Good track the Moscow one

I like FE. The first race, in China, wasn't good, but the rest, quite funny and way better than current F1

RicME85

Agree, has been a solid 7/10.
Looking forward to next season to see where it goes.

Phil

I guess it's time to update the ranking after the last race on Saturday.

Sadly, the e.Dams utterly ruined Buemi's chance at the WDC - first they keep him in the pits too long (because they thought the minimum pit time was 68 instead of 58 seconds) and then they let him out in traffic netting him a post-race penalty... #-o

The result that instead of finishing 3rd and still within a shout, he received a post-race 29 seconds penalty dropping him to 9nth...

So the standings are now:

1.) Piquet 128 points
2.) Di Grassi 111 points (-17)
3.) Buemi 105 (-23)
4.) Prost 82 (-46)
5.) D'Ambrosio 77 (-51)

But yeah, I like Formula-E too. Always something going on it seems.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RicME85

Piquet Jr with the title.
Bird with the final race win after Sarrazin ran half the last lap on 0%