Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: Formula E

bdr529 wrote:...I feel the same way about other forms of motorsports when it comes to qualifying...
...To clarify my first post, It's just qualifying and only qualifying that I think is lacking something. Not the race

Well, bdr... I suggest you check out this classic qualifying lap ( 1985 Bathurst 1000 - whereby Tom 'n' cat won pole)..

Somehow, I think you might agree - the visceral aural ambiance of a snarling V12 - totally bests an egg-beater whine..

..as any discerning motorsports fan will relate - quality of the perceived sound - is a significant part of the racing thrill..
Last edited by J.A.W. on 17 Feb 2016, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

bdr529

I like the Top ten shoot qualifying format that they use for the Bathurst 1000, they also use it for the Super Street races, don't know why they don't use the same format for the Super Sprint races ????

I really don't see what the big deal is ???
I don't like single car qualifying for nascar, I find watching 1 car drive around a super speedway or a 1.5 mile oval boring, maybe at Bristol (half mile) or the road courses

You even said this about NASCAR
J.A.W. wrote:".... ..dumbed down, anodyne machinery..
.. requires artifice in manipulation of the racing..
.. with all the orchestrated melodrama of the current ..NASCAR ..spectacle..
..Ugh..
I'm guess you don't watch nascar races let alone qualifying with a quote like that :o
You should, if you like it in V8 supercars then your going to love it in NASCAR :lol:

I didn't like single car qualifying in F1, I didn't find it all the exciting to watch on tv and I certainly found it boring when I was in the grandstands in Montreal. I don't mind the new format, people pay a lot of $$$$ to see the cars on the track and this format provides that
There was nothing wrong with the qualifying for the 1997 European GP,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJzGV1215Yg
pretty exciting lots of drama and they didn't need single car qual.

I do like the single car qualifying format for the Indy 500 but I wouldn't want to see it used for every Indycar race, I like watching all of them fight it out together at one time.

Just because I prefer a qualifying format used in one type racing, or one particular race,
doesn't mean I would like that same format used in another type of race series.
But that's just my opinion, You clearly want to see single car qualifying in all forms of racing. and that's ok that's your opinion and I'm fine with that, " To each his own "

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

bdr529 wrote:I like the Top ten shoot qualifying format that they use for the Bathurst 1000...You clearly want to see single car qualifying in all forms of racing. and that's ok that's your opinion and I'm fine with that, " To each his own "

Nah, bdr... the NASCAR & V8 Stupidcar rigmarole leaves me a bit cold.. too same-same.

The old Group A such shown in the clip at least featured some variety., & hard out racing, with many different machines .

I did enjoy the GT Sports Car racing at Bathurst - both for speed/spectacle & also variety in shape/sound of machines..

Now if Formula E could run gears &/or overdub the kitchen appliance engine note with a more exciting soundtrack..

strad

astracrazy wrote:with my motorsport hat on, crap. I can't think of anything more boring than watching silent vehicles going round a track. Can you imagine watching that on tv...or even going to it live.

with my environment hat on (which i'll just find from the depths of the cupboard), i guess its good.

I personally find it very odd but a Time magazine article I was reading at the Dr.s office said they pulled a larger audience than F1.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

RicME85

So because the old Berlin airport that was used last season is housing refugees Agag has had to look for an alternative track. This is what they came up with....

http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... ut-673472/

Not the best track they have had

bdr529

strad wrote:
astracrazy wrote:with my motorsport hat on, crap. I can't think of anything more boring than watching silent vehicles going round a track. Can you imagine watching that on tv...or even going to it live.

with my environment hat on (which i'll just find from the depths of the cupboard), i guess its good.

I personally find it very odd but a Time magazine article I was reading at the Dr.s office said they pulled a larger audience than F1.
You expect me to believe you found a magazine that wasn't more then 2 yrs old in a Doctor's office, :o

I'm surprised to read that, as I'm sure you were.
this is from the Formula E site, Race was held on the 11/07/2015
The Putrajaya ePrix in Malaysia aired on FOX Sports scored a 1.2 on the Nielsen ratings. The live broadcast drew 60,000 viewers in the US despite the early morning time slot.
Just how bad are the F1 tv numbers in the States ????

strad

I'd ask who did the fact checking for Time. :lol:
Yeah I have this weird Dr. that has all new magazines.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote: Now if Formula E could run gears
They use gears from day 1

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

All of them?
& I am ready to stand corrected..
-but wasn't use of a multi-ratio gearbox in FE - an option, rather than use of a mandatory set of ratios - as current in F1 ?

Maybe I've misunderstood the discussion about FE using direct drive - on the previous page.

Andres125sx

Yes, all of them. Remember in first season it was a spec series, same car for everybody

This season they can develop the motor, inverter and transmission, but I think all of them still use gears as they improve efficiency/range and that´s basic on FE

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:Yes, all of them. Remember in first season it was a spec series, same car for everybody

This season they can develop the motor, inverter and transmission, but I think all of them still use gears as they improve efficiency/range and that´s basic on FE
Ok, but AFAIR, in application from season 2 - FE gearing, as long as it was reduction - not overdrive - is an option.

I gathered from the discussion on the previous page that direct drive was indeed viable, given the flat torque from E-motors,
& the point 'n' squirt nature of the street circuits being raced upon, but again I'm ready to stand corrected, if all do use gearing.

Andres125sx

Double post, sorry
Last edited by Andres125sx on 20 Feb 2016, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

It actually is viable, but racing is not about viability, but about being fastest. For that gearing is better because makes a better use of the available energy, wich currently is very limited.

Season 2 cars

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Nah A-125..,

Racing has in fact - always been totally about viability, or advantage, as far as it may be permitted - by any rules constraint..

Hence the potential option of 'overdrive' gearing, which could perhaps best utilize that flat torque output, being specifically excluded..

Tim.Wright

This is a common belief that a flat torque curve doesn't require gearing but it's not the case I explained a couple of pages ago:
Tim.Wright wrote:
Direct drive runs the engine through all of the motor's operating range - including parts where you are not at you peak power output.

Adding gears allows you to stay in that "sweet spot" where power is at its maximum.

For a road car, staying in the peak power range is of dubious importance. For a race car it's obviously essential.

Here is an (unverified) engine curve I found on the Tesla which shows the disadvantage of direct drive:
From here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com
Typical brushless DC motors have a peak power band which you cannot stay within if you have direct drive. Once you pass from traction limted into a power limited condition you are throwing performance away if you are not operating at peak power.

Overdrive won't help either. E-motors are capable of around 10kRPM but at top speed your wheels will only be doing around 2kRPM if I remember correct so your gear ratio will always need to be a reduction.

In addition to that an overdrive will put you way below the peak power so your tractive force actually delivered to the ground will be much smaller. Your low speed traction will be worse and you will never reach your theoretical top speed because the drag will build up faster than your approach to peak power.
Not the engineer at Force India