Next generation of racing tires?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Nando

Next generation of racing tires?

Perhaps not tomorrow but very cool concepts and who knows maybe one day we´ll have something similar in Formula 1.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zu7GVfx6Ng[/youtube]
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Saribro

Re: Next generation of racing tires?

Some interesting ideas, going beyond just tires. I'd settle for something that doesn't suffer leakage, flats,... basicly not be reliant on air pressure, really. I liked the Tweel, for example.

Nando

These?

Pretty cool idea as well.
I wonder what the next real sustainable step is in tires. We have been running the same concept since i don´t know, the first rubber tire i guess.

Jersey Tom

Saribro wrote:Some interesting ideas, going beyond just tires. I'd settle for something that doesn't suffer leakage, flats,... basicly not be reliant on air pressure, really. I liked the Tweel, for example.
Tweel may not go flat, but what happens when you break a spoke? There's always a mode of failure, and there are reasons the tweel never caught on.

Interesting looking concepts in the video. Emphasis on the "looking" bit. Not sure what the advantage would be of the "extreme cornering" thing.

Other thing to ask is even if it were to come to fruition, would F1 adopt it? I feel like F1 has never been cutting edge of technology. Slow to adapt fuel injection and radial tires.. still no direct injection, no traction control, no AWD, etc etc.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Absolutelee

If I'm seeing it right the advantage of the 'extreme cornering' tire is that you can run no camber, and still keep full contact in the bends

strad

Some interesting concepts there..some impractical in the real world, but interesting none the less.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Cam

Nice post Nando. Good to see people concepting for the future and some of those actually look feasible.

The real next generation of racing tyres should be longer lasting. We have key components on the cars that have to last several races now - why not tyres? You'd think that would be a bigger challenge for both the tyre manufacturer and the teams. Imagine a set of tyres having to be used for 4 races. Thats a lot of miles and a decent challenge to meet and achieve. That aspect fots better with F1 - the pinnacle of engineering. It would also reduce costs in all areas of the tyre supply (number, transport, wastage etc) - plus, it looks good to consumers - both domestic and sports related.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Jersey Tom

Cam wrote:The real next generation of racing tyres should be longer lasting.
Oh the irony :)
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jersey Tom

On one hand we have a thread going on about how terrific it's been to have tires that are only good for a handful of laps at best.. and are a devolution of product development.

And here we discuss how we should be evolving tire technology further, making tires last several races, etc.

Could not be more polar extreme opposites. I love it!

DaveKillens

Science and technology points towards product improvement, marketing and entertainment points the other way.

Maybe the thread ought to be named "What might have been", or "What are they doing at LeMans?"
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Jersey Tom

DaveKillens wrote:Science and technology points towards product improvement, marketing and entertainment points the other way.
They do at this moment, yes. Fundamentally, I don't believe that needs to be the case.

Nando

Jersey Tom wrote:On one hand we have a thread going on about how terrific it's been to have tires that are only good for a handful of laps at best.. and are a devolution of product development.

And here we discuss how we should be evolving tire technology further, making tires last several races, etc.

Could not be more polar extreme opposites. I love it!
That´s not really true though, one guy made a post about longer lasting tires.

This one is more about the future of tires, not so much making them last longer except one guy´s post.
But we know you are quite biased,

mzivtins

The extreme cornering tyre design in that video is bonkers, i can think of a better alternative to that already... a standard motocycle front wheel/tyre on each side... no fancy poop like that odd off-centre hub.

It has already been done and used for years:

Tommy Cookers

Mr Millikan senior (father of 'our' Milikan) thought as you seem to do

he built and tested such a car in the 60s
all 4 wheels (they had motorcycle tyres) banked into corners